With the death of LG Mobile on the horizon, what phone will you move to next?
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #47 of 75
Nah. Every good dap I've owned offers better sound quality than any LG V series phone. Even something like an Opus 1s or Hiby R5 with Cirrus Logic chips sounds better to my ears. In no way am I saying that the phones sound bad, they actually can sound quite nice. But these phones are like a gateway drug into audio. Not much power, no balanced options - it's still a phone first.

You're right DAPs may sound better but they are all clunky compared to high end phones with terrible UI, poor wifi performance, Android version from yesteryear, and list goes on. I would much rather use my S21ultra and ANC HPs over any combination of DAPs and IEMs with some sacrifice in SQ, if we are talking on the go. At home, desktop/speaker/fullsize can setups trump any DAP. I was all in on DAPs and IEMs until beginning of last year , but sold everything out of frustration. Smartphones just make more sense for my use case. I just wish phone manufacturers would put more emphasis on "sound" with their flagship smarphones.

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #48 of 75
Have you used the dragonfly by any chance?
I tried the Dragonfly Cobalt for a couple weeks (LG V60 user). IMO, it was much better with macro than micro details. Ended up returning it. While it was more pleasing sounding and engaging than my V60, overall the V60 DAC was more audiophile-grade to me.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #50 of 75
what do you mean by more audiophile grade?
Micro details, which, having the KSE1200 is something I listen for. From what I heard, the Cobalt wasn't that resolving. But I mean, it did sound great. Just not from an analytical standpoint.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #52 of 75
Nah. Every good dap I've owned offers better sound quality than any LG V series phone. Even something like an Opus 1s or Hiby R5 with Cirrus Logic chips sounds better to my ears. In no way am I saying that the phones sound bad, they actually can sound quite nice. But these phones are like a gateway drug into audio. Not much power, no balanced options - it's still a phone first.
Depends on pairings in my experience.

My V30, V35 and ROG5 sound better with my DT990 Pros and my Topping D3 sounds better with my HD6XXs.

May 7, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #59 of 75
I got my ROG 5 a week ago and am very happy. It has a cracking battery (unlike my old V30), great speakers and a massive screen with no bloody holes or notches.

UAPP works great (I got some help from the awesome developer, Davy) and drives my 250 Ohm headphones beautifully.

I never used MQA files, so that feature isn't missed.

I am thinking of having a ROG 5... but I have a question which you can answer.

It will be of great help if you can confirm ROG 5 supports native DSD playback of DSF & DDF audio files or not. Also if it supports, can it playback DSD64, DS128 & even DSD256?

Thanks in advance.

May 7, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #60 of 75
I am thinking of having a ROG 5... but I have a question which you can answer.

It will be of great help if you can confirm ROG 5 supports native DSD playback of DSF & DDF audio files or not. Also if it supports, can it playback DSD64, DS128 & even DSD256?

Thanks in advance.
Yes. I use UAPP and have just downloaded a DSD256 file to test for you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210507-215556381 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-215556381 (1).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back