With the death of LG Mobile on the horizon, what phone will you move to next?
Jun 9, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #61 of 75
I concur typing from my rog 5 with focal stellias plugged in

Jun 9, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #62 of 75
I will say it's a bit heavier than my previous phones but that's a lot of hardware packing a little package

Jun 11, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #63 of 75
I will say it's a bit heavier than my previous phones but that's a lot of hardware packing a little package

Yes. Dual sim. Good ram for a little gaming. Nice DAC chip. Loud as heck speakers. Long lasting battery.

A very powerful package.

I love my ROG5 and listen music to it daily... even the DAPs got a lot less ear time. Now if they can pack a flat capacitor in there for more analog flavor in ROG6....

We bring in the era of true audiophile phones.

1623418622805.png

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #64 of 75
Remember that you do not have to stay within your domestic market for buying a new phone. This phone I got wasn't released in the US for some time and the international version existed a while before released in the US. Whenever this phone breaks, I am definitely going international again and looking at all options. Sony so far seems to be the most likely option that I'll go for, but I am open to others.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #65 of 75
I think Sony has had some issues with VoLTE with T-Mobile in the past.... Years ago had a problem with a non-USA greay market phone that did weird stuff when T-Mobile sent me alerts - like that I had a text message - it would show up in some weird way, been years, don;t remember the specifics. There are hidden 'got-cha's' everywhere...

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #66 of 75
Remember that you do not have to stay within your domestic market for buying a new phone. This phone I got wasn't released in the US for some time and the international version existed a while before released in the US. Whenever this phone breaks, I am definitely going international again and looking at all options. Sony so far seems to be the most likely option that I'll go for, but I am open to others.
I rarely buy from a local store - they only officially sell neutered versions of common brands where I am (Thailand) at insane prices, so our last 6 phones have all be bought direct from China.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #67 of 75
Just any usb c phone + usb dac amp cable.

Without vivo,lg, meizu doing, we're done.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #69 of 75
Quick update on ROG 5...

Still a beast :gs1000smile:

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #73 of 75
How good is the new xperia?

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #74 of 75
If I hadn't run out and picked up an LG V60 to replace my V50, I would've probably purchased this phone. It looks good, has great specs and should do a decent job with audio. I'm not real familiar with Sony's LDAC codec, but it appears to be their competing version of AptX. The xperia phone has a slot for adding memory AND a headphone jack. So it sounds like a winner to me.

FWIW, I think that, going forward, we're going to have to get used to using DAC USB dongles on our smartphones as opposed to high-quality-built-in-dacs. For the most part (that is dog walking) I find I mostly connect to my phone via bluetooth, so that quad dac many not be as essential as I had thought. My two cents.

Oct 4, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #75 of 75
I rarely buy from a local store - they only officially sell neutered versions of common brands where I am (Thailand) at insane prices, so our last 6 phones have all be bought direct from China.
Of course, the downside to buying from China is that ASUS can use that fact to weasel out of honouring the warranty should anything go wong with the phone.
My screen started to fail and ASUS said I had to return the phone to the reseller in China in order to get it looked at under warranty. ASUS Thailand gave me a load of BS about the locally sold model having a different screen.
I have had to order a replacement screen from AliExpress and will take it to an independent phone repair shop to get fixed.
Wankers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back