With the death of LG Mobile on the horizon, what phone will you move to next?
Apr 28, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #33 of 75
I'm still using my 40, but it's really starting to slow down. I also have the 30 that I could use as just a dap, but I see no reason. I'll just keep using my Hiby R5 and Shanling M6 Pro. Over the years, I have realized I'm not a big fan of ESS chips anyways. I would however still like to have a phone with removable storage and a headphone jack. And for the general consumer who has service via the popular cell phone carriers, options are pretty limited anyways. I haven't listened with my 40 in quite some time come to think of it.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #34 of 75
I'm still using my 40, but it's really starting to slow down. I also have the 30 that I could use as just a dap, but I see no reason. I'll just keep using my Hiby R5 and Shanling M6 Pro. Over the years, I have realized I'm not a big fan of ESS chips anyways. I would however still like to have a phone with removable storage and a headphone jack. And for the general consumer who has service via the popular cell phone carriers, options are pretty limited anyways. I haven't listened with my 40 in quite some time come to think of it.
Sony Xperia has a headphone jack and removable storage. And sound much better than lg v30. It's my daily driver now

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #35 of 75
Sony Xperia has a headphone jack and removable storage. And sound much better than lg v30. It's my daily driver now
Perhaps, but it's an expense I'd have to buy outright, as most cell providers don't stock that phone. I'll just stick with my daps for audio.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #36 of 75
Honestly, I just use a dap. Way higher SQ than a phone anyways, even one with good chip
As a user of $1300 & $400 DAPs, I disagree with this. My LG V35 does not sound inferior at all comparing them side by side. What it lacks would be the absolute breadth of dynamics on the most complex of songs, and that only obvious only you choose to A/B them side by side. On the other hand, sadly it is true that almost 80% of the current lineup of phones are plain lousy. I have had Xiaomi 10t Pro and it sounded anemic and lifeless. Losing LG is a big blow for the market segment that do care about SQ, however that segment apparently losses out to the major demands on camera, gaming and multimedia

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #37 of 75
As a user of $1300 & $400 DAPs, I disagree with this. My LG V35 does not sound inferior at all comparing them side by side. What it lacks would be the absolute breadth of dynamics on the most complex of songs, and that only obvious only you choose to A/B them side by side. On the other hand, sadly it is true that almost 80% of the current lineup of phones are plain lousy. I have had Xiaomi 10t Pro and it sounded anemic and lifeless. Losing LG is a big blow for the market segment that do care about SQ, however that segment apparently losses out to the major demands on camera, gaming and multimedia
is there a dap which would connect to a phone and let you know when someone's calling you? I've heard fiio m6 can do that but its sound quality is inferior to for example my xperia 5 mk ii, let alone lg v30

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #38 of 75
is there a dap which would connect to a phone and let you know when someone's calling you? I've heard fiio m6 can do that but its sound quality is inferior to for example my xperia 5 mk ii, let alone lg v30
Not that I am aware of. Dedicated DAPs mainly designed purposely not to have this sort of feature. For example my Cayin N6ii is a full fledged Android DAP yet Cayin have built it from scratch NOT to have anything related to call or phone functions

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #39 of 75
Not that I am aware of. Dedicated DAPs mainly designed purposely not to have this sort of feature. For example my Cayin N6ii is a full fledged Android DAP yet Cayin have built it from scratch NOT to have anything related to call or phone functions
and do you have any experience with dongles? such as NextDrive Spectra X or thx onyx?

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #40 of 75
Nah. Every good dap I've owned offers better sound quality than any LG V series phone. Even something like an Opus 1s or Hiby R5 with Cirrus Logic chips sounds better to my ears. In no way am I saying that the phones sound bad, they actually can sound quite nice. But these phones are like a gateway drug into audio. Not much power, no balanced options - it's still a phone first.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 75
and do you have any experience with dongles? such as NextDrive Spectra X or thx onyx?
I have tested JCally JA21 Dongle DAC which cost $6, and when plugged to my Android devices or laptop, it actually works with 4 pole 3.5mm jack that have MIC. So some of them have native support for calls

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #43 of 75
But more in terms of sound quality

But more in terms of sound quality-can they match for example lg v30 or a dap?
What LG have developed (Quad DAC) is something very difficult for many manufacturers to emulate. The quality of that thing especially V30 onwards are no joke. I can only vouch for devices that I have used and listened to. The ones I have used (USB Dongles) are notably not as good as the LG V series

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #44 of 75
What LG have developed (Quad DAC) is something very difficult for many manufacturers to emulate. The quality of that thing especially V30 onwards are no joke. I can only vouch for devices that I have used and listened to. The ones I have used (USB Dongles) are notably not as good as the LG V series
Have you used the dragonfly by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back