Wireless stereo headphones for $100 budget
Mar 11, 2008 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
This is for a friend's father who wears a hearing aid and wants to be able to watch TV and movies without bothering his wife (with his hearing aid out).

He wants wireless because the distance to his 5.1 stereo receiver is too great and he fears she will trip over an extension cable. He will also use these headphones in his travel trailer.

Price and durability more important than sound quality. Closed would be preferred although not essential. Prefers full sized circumnaural headphones, cushy ear pads for comfort. Doesn't want to fiddle with IEMs or over the ear types.

Stereo is fine; 5.1 would be a bonus.

Of course my first reaction was the Pioneer SE-DIR800c but of course with a $399 MSRP that was way out of budget.

I guess I don't really know this market at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Anyone?

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Still no takers? Does such a product exist? Decent wireless headphones for less than $100?

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 10
Ehhhh!!! I'll just tell my friend that none of our 65,000 members had any suggestions.

(Come to think of it, I don't ever recall whining so much on any thread I've ever started. But then again, I always get at least one response. Maybe if someone could just say, "Shut up you big cry baby!" I'd feel better about it. This is your one and only chance to tell me that without getting banned, by the way!)

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heres a place to start
Wireless Headphones - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review

That's perfect! Why didn't I think of that? Seriously. Thanks.

But still, if someone had direct experience with something that they could recommend that would be good. One of the main benefits of being a Head-Fi member, IMO, is is getting cogent advice from others when you are venturing into a market segment that you know little, or nothing, about.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #7 of 10
No problem, I wish I could be of more help and actually comment on something I heard but since you said sound quality is not first priority I guess that will do.

By the way, I couldn't thank you enough for my ad2000 purchase that you recommended to me after my PMs for recommendations some months back. Still enjoying them quite a bit.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #8 of 10
I've really enjoy the Sennheiser RS120. In fact, after trying mine, three now-ex-coworkers purchased for themselves. The range is crazy. Recharging is convenient with stand charger. Sound is quite good; beat down some GEs my father-in-law left to me upon his passing. Only problem: just a tad higher than your $100 budget. Some smart shopping/Froogling will get you close. Edit: they are just at $100 now (were a bit more when I bought mine years ago).

Make sure to get the 120s, they recharge.

Mar 18, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem, I wish I could be of more help and actually comment on something I heard but since you said sound quality is not first priority I guess that will do.

By the way, I couldn't thank you enough for my ad2000 purchase that you recommended to me after my PMs for recommendations some months back. Still enjoying them quite a bit.

Glad you like 'em! I've been reading your posts about them. They're hard not to like, really. But you never know for sure when you make a sure bet recommendation, especially when it's going to cost someone at least $500!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've really enjoy the Sennheiser RS120. In fact, after trying mine, three now-ex-coworkers purchased for themselves. The range is crazy. Recharging is convenient with stand charger. Sound is quite good; beat down some GEs my father-in-law left to me upon his passing. Only problem: just a tad higher than your $100 budget. Some smart shopping/Froogling will get you close. Edit: they are just at $100 now (were a bit more when I bought mine years ago).

Make sure to get the 120s, they recharge.

Ok, I'll check these out and report back to my friend. They would seem to fit the bill assuming they're willing to spend $100 which is a big assumption.

I'll give him the link that donunus has provided as well. If they're really just looking for an "any old pair of wireless headphones will do" then they have a lot of <$100 options from that link!

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 10
I guess I'm a hopeless headphone nut! I'm not in the market at all for these things myself, but curiosity got the best of me and I just spent over an hour digging through the first 10 pages of the NexTag link that donunus provided above.

My basic findings were that there really isn't anything available today that is wireless, <$100, closed, and circumaural. About the closest thing is the Senn RS 140 which you can get from Amazon for $129.

I checked out a bunch of the products listed in NexTag but most of them looked like crap (or got crap reviews for SQ or comfort or both). Seems like Sennheiser is really the way to go for wireless on a budget, assuming you want decent SQ and a reputable company to stand behind the product.

See here: http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...hi-fi-wireless

IS 380 - something different altogether, not sure it I get it, the description leaves lot to be desired.

RS 110 - entry level, pretty much the same as RS 120 but a little cheaper and chances are not quite as good sounding. $56 from Amazon: Amazon.com: Used and New: Sennheiser Rs110 900 Mhz Wireless Rf Headphones

RS 120 - open and supraural (neither of which is good for this guy), but only $70 at Amazon. Chances are they use better drivers than the RS 110. Amazon.com: Sennheiser RS120 926 MHz Wireless RF Headphones with Charging Cradle: Electronics

RS 130 - open but circumaural (that's a plus). $100 on Amazon. You pay for comfort. Undoubtedly different, and probably better, sounding because of the earcup orientation. Chances are they use the RS 120 drivers. Amazon.com: Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless Surround Sound Headphones: Electronics

RS 140 - closed and circumaural. Everything he's looking for but $129 from Amazon. That doesn't seem too bad, actually.
Amazon.com: Used and New: Sennheiser RS 140 Wireless Balanced Headphones

Interesting how it breaks down from $56 for the entry level (RS 110), to $70 for slightly better but still open and on-ear (RS 120) to $100 for open but around ear (RS 130), to $129 for closed and around ear (RS 140, and nothing to complain about except the price). Classic consumer products company in the sense that they have every market segment targeted and you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back