Wired Headphones is Dead the future is wireless
Sep 29, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #16 of 54
Yeah unless you are 18 years old and have the perfect ear, spending over $140 US gives you around 5% audible improvement. Lets not trick ourselves with electronic machines detecting which headphone is superior.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #17 of 54
Yeah unless you are 18 years old and have the perfect ear, spending over $140 US gives you around 5% audible improvement. Lets not trick ourselves with electronic machines detecting which headphone is superior.

I would disagree on that, my $200 q701s (original msrp was $300+) sounds much better than any other headphone below that price from what I have tried (even hd598). I will be buying the koss esp950 in no less than 2 months so I will be able to test out how much diminishing returns we are hitting

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 54
I would disagree on that, my $200 q701s (original msrp was $300+) sounds much better than any other headphone below that price from what I have tried (even hd598). I will be buying the koss esp950 in no less than 2 months so I will be able to test out how much diminishing returns we are hitting

Let me know what you find.

I have my doubts about people in their 30's and 40's being able to tell these differences. There is also the issue of ear wax and people who think qtips clean ear wax but end up pushing it all the way inside. I also live in the tropics and removing ear wax is a bad idea just last week I removed some ear wax with a hair pin and found a small bug. Imagine that?

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #19 of 54
Let me know what you find.

I have my doubts about people in their 30's and 40's being able to tell these differences. There is also the issue of ear wax and people who think qtips clean ear wax but end up pushing it all the way inside. I also live in the tropics and removing ear wax is a bad idea just last week I removed some ear wax with a hair pin and found a small bug. Imagine that?

Yeah qtips are just a bad idea, but I think getting your earwax cleared would be a good idea for those getting ear impressions for custom iems

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #20 of 54
I understand both sides of this argument. For critical listening I just love my Hugo paired with one of my Sony DAP's and my wired P7's/T5P's.
HOWEVER I commute on bike/train every day, and both the wires and the bulk of that setup is becoming obtrusive.
I got some wireless B&W P7's this week, and they are a real game-changer. IMO the most amazing wireless headphones, and they sound sublime connected via AptX to my Sony DAPs.
Could I live without wires now? Yes. Do I prefer listening without wires? For the first time ever, yes.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #21 of 54

lol...

Take it from me - I have owned over 30 headphones ranging from $50 all the way up to $1,000...testing them using my multi-thousand dollar Cyrus system...and the difference in sound quality between the bottom-end and top-end goes without saying. It's more than obvious.

But most people can hear (without having to sit in a dark room) obvious differences using something as simple as an iphone, apparently not you...

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #22 of 54
Subwoofer, it is on-topic, don't worry. And it isn't impossible, and I for one won't say that it's impossible - history tends to make fools of people who confidently assert what cannot happen. But based on what we do know so far, the odds of it being caused by EM wireless signals are very low - it just doesn't tally with what we know about physiological effects of EM radiation and the strength of domestic wireless signals. Put simply, they're a pea to the 20-mattress pile that is your brain, and you'd have to be a very sensitive princess indeed to feel them :)

We await further evidence, I guess. It would be presumptuous of me to assert that it can't happen. But it's equally presumptuous to assert that all this wireless tech is bad news and will harm us in some way. It's quite possible that it just won't have any negative effects, ever. And since a lot of scientists are very busy testing and researching it all, and it's all still legal and in common use, I find it hard to get panicked just yet.

As for adapters: the idea of a wireless adapter with conventional wired headphones is a lot more appealing, but I'd still not use it for the same basic reason I never use any wireless gear around the home - I get totally sick of batteries running out and needing charging/changing. It's just one more category of tedious busywork I can do without when I'm trying to relax in the evening.

On a basic level, I just don't get the need for wireless audio tech. If I want to get up for a drink or food, I just pause my music and take my headphones off; this has never felt like a massive inconvenience.

Unrelated:

Quote:
  Yeah look I ain't falling for most of this scam I know its mostly audiophiles justifying wasting enormous amounts of money. Lets not forget the moon audio dragon cable scam where they were selling headphone cables for $300 USD and people lied about how it had some kind of magic that made the sound much better. LOL

sad thing is it was audiophiles right here who continuously lied about it having better sound when it was in reality just $10 cables and the company selling it managed to scam so many people who actually believed their own lies about how you can burn in the cable when its really their mind playing tricks on them LOL

Every time I see your username it reminds me of the first place I saw the Denon brand - this very famous Amazon item, so it's apt you should be talking about overpriced snakeoil cables.

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 54
With people paying anywhere from $50 to $1000.00 +, wires will be with us for a long time. Hell, take fancy cables away what will be next, tube amps ?
Oh ya and lets not forget the CD that was declared dead 10 years ago.

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 54

Not to take the tread off topic, but electromagnetic hypersensitivity does have a growing body of evidence and studies showing people are being given headaches and other symptoms. Just as there is not yet enough irrefutable evidence to say it is real, there is also not any evidence to disprove it.

The example of that woman and her crystal can be explained in many different ways, and the one I would disagree with was the crystal having any effect, but perhaps I'm wrong.

What I can tell you is that while at work and otherwise distracted (getting on with work) some days I start to get a specific type of headache. I usually don't make any connection to start with, but then if I ask my colleagues if any of them has their wireless on, without fail one of them will say "sorry I forgot to turn it off". Once turned off it is like a vice released my head. They consider me to be the human WiFi detector.

Placebos require conciousness to work, using the mind's powerful ability to decide what is experienced by the subject. My experience only becomes concious once I have a symptom.

Consider that our brains work using electrical impulses and no one can say it is impossible for any individual to experience 'interference' from electromagnetic radiation.

Actually now I've written this I do consider it to be on topic when considering yet more wireless devices.

Have you thought to ask on some of the days you don't get a headache whether any of your colleagues have their wifi on? Only asking once you have the headache doesn't actually give you any meaningful information

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 54
I have tried £200 cables with my HD800, and HEK,but found very little difference,and now use standard cables. I have now purchased bluetooth, around the neck dongle,working with my 846, and W60. Yes i can tell a difference,but it is small, meaning i now use the earphones, without cables,and this is more than good enough,for my old ears. Who needs Apple air pods, when you can use 846, or W60.

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #26 of 54

Have you thought to ask on some of the days you don't get a headache whether any of your colleagues have their wifi on? Only asking once you have the headache doesn't actually give you any meaningful information

Yes. Do you think I've taken this lightly and jumped to conclusions? (I'm guessing yes as you asked such a basic question.)

As a preventative measure I regularly check background levels with a RF Radiation Power Meter so can absolutely correlate those headache free days with my colleagues remembering to switch it off. The instances I described are those days when I'm too busy to check (so removing the conscious aspect) and get a headache.

This tiny blip of conversation on a thread on a forum is basically nothing compared to the years of testing and research I've done into my own electrosensitivity, so you won't debunk me with a tiny probing into this condition.

One of the clearest tests I've done was after discovering that ipads affected me more than any other wifi device and I found they have twin transmitters and the highest Wifi power output of almost any device. Turn one of those on next to me and it is an instant pain. I've done blind tests and got the switch on and off timing precisely to match the person using it.

EDIT: My workplace has implemented a ALARP policy (As Low As Reasonably Practicable) with regard to EMF exposure following my investigation the subject. This means that all WAPs are set to the lowest reliable transmitter strength, and all laptop users are to use a network cable unless absolutely necessary. Everyone affected by the policy is actually happier (apart from one staunch Wifi user).

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #27 of 54

Hmm... $140 you say.
You are new to the craft aren't you.

Let's click around a bit. Ah. I see. Yup, hmm, won't say I disagree, but carry on then...

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 54
  The trouble with wireless is that you then impose your choices on those around you without even thinking about it.

I suffer from electro-sensitivity, or more precisely, I am more sensitive to radio fequencies than most people. I am unable to use WiFi, Bluetooth, and DECT telephones, though I seem OK with cellular telephones.

Cell phones cause me problems....but I have to be the user.  Not affected if it isn't next to my head.  

Bern

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #29 of 54
Originally Posted by beowulf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm... $140 you say.
You are new to the craft aren't you.

Let's click around a bit. Ah. I see. Yup, hmm, won't say I disagree, but carry on then...

New to this craft? you mean my Denon2009 Account aswell? you know the one that doesn't say 5220 before I had my gmail account? ow yeah thought so.

Or lets see my Sennheiser HD 555 from a decade ago? or my Denon D5000 that I bought donkey years ago? or my ATH M50?

New to this craft? nah its more like I have grown to educate myself not to be scammed by snake oil. Luckily I have been blessed to actually try out expensive headphones to know most of it is a scam to trick gullible idiots.

The cut off point for human hearing of audible differences more than 5% is around $140 and over 30 years of age.

Let me guess you are one of those who claim to tell the difference in FLAC and MP3 320K in blind test or those that claim to tell the difference between FLAC and uncompressed CD? LOL AHAHHA or those who talk about "Burn In Cables" LOL

Bring scientific evidence to prove me wrong, bring those double blind tests on people of different ages who can hear these differences. Bring those scientific evidence of "Cable burn in" that anybody besides superman can call real LOL

But I will give you that, the snake oil cables that costs hundreds of dollars or thousands really are something, if I too had a factory I would make cables and sell to idiots for hundreds and thousands of dollars "SILVER DRAGON SON!!!!" BLACK DRAGON CABLE with other fancy names and when they buy it and say hey wait a minute I have been scammed I will just say you have to burn them in and when placebo kicks in they will say aah yes totally worth the money.

LEL

Sep 30, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #30 of 54
And yes if you know what to buy the cut off point of the human hearing is around $140 US I will always remember the lies about how much better the Denon D5000 Fostex was compared to the budget $100 Sennheiser HD 555 and in the end turns out it was around 5 to 10% difference in quality LOL

Infact the open back design of the HD 555 still made it sound better for classical music or instrumental which is what I actually listen to. lol makes you wonder....

The best value for money I have ever experienced was from Sennheiser hands down the HD 555 that I modded for better soundstage. None of the other more expensive headphones I bought ever compared for classical and instrumental. Did they sound slightly better? sure they did maybe for Bass which the HD 555 lacks.

But I don't care for any hard hitting bass in the music I listen to, sennheiser has a very magical Aurora when listening to Hans Zimmer or Mozart nothing compares. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back