Wire with Gain - where can I buy some? :D
Jun 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #76 of 79

Quote:
Hence, impedance matching.  This allows adequate power transfer to take place.  I think we're saying the same thing using different words.

Well, when I think of "impedance matching" I'm thinking of where the load impedance matches the source and/or line impedance, i.e. 600 ohm to 600 ohm. And yeah, when impedances are matched like that, you have a maximum transfer of power.

But as far as I'm aware, with moving coil cartridges, it's not an issue of maximum power transfer, but rather one of an optimum load for a given cartridge's electromechanical properties owing to the fact that it's a resonant system not unlike a loudspeaker driver.

So you're looking for the right load that's not so high that it causes the cartridge to ring, or too low that you get too much high frequency rolloff. And typically that load impedance is higher than the cartridge's output impedance. Sometimes by a factor of ten or more.

se

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #77 of 79
Call it what you like, I don't need to be right.  It's ok.  I was just trying to be helpful and add to your understanding.  It's all good.  
atsmile.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #78 of 79
Has this thread run its course yet?

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #79 of 79

Quote:
Has this thread run its course yet?

Hope not! I don't have the technical experties to contribute but I am learning a great deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back