wire mesh for Grado mod
Jul 13, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 25
thanks Bjornboy!

I used the spoon method and didn't have any trouble at all getting them apart. You just have to be patient with them and go slowly.

[edit] and for anyone wanting to buy similar product from McMaster, the stuff I used was 10 mesh (per inch) and .024" diameter wire.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #17 of 25
That looks great soMn. I've been looking for some mesh that would look similar to the stock grado ones. I guess there's no excuse for me not to do the mod now
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: soMn, is there a direct link to the mesh you bought? I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the mesh cut from those desk organizers and spray painted it gloss black when I woodied my last pair of Grados...

1164773012_walnut125.jpg

It worked well, looks great, and the black can look much better than the silver depending on the look you're going for.

Your wooden cups look superb. You cans are screaming for a DIY leather headband mod.
biggrin.gif

FYI...you can get black painted meshed desk organisers at Wal-Mart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for anyone wanting to buy similar product from McMaster, the stuff I used was 10 mesh (per inch) and .024" diameter wire.

Once you get 50+ posts, I suggest cutting up the leftover mesh and selling them on the FS forum. You could wind up recouping the costs (maybe make a profit) as there would be plenty of interested DIYers who want to use it to do the grill mod.

Jul 14, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #19 of 25
I don't have a link to it, but the part # is 85385T832. you can search for it and add it to your order from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you get 50+ posts, I suggest cutting up the leftover mesh and selling them on the FS forum. You could wind up recouping the costs (maybe make a profit) as there would be plenty of interested DIYers who want to use it to do the grill mod.

I actually thought of that. I'd be happy to just recoup the cost, and it'd prevent others from having to waste as much.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #22 of 25
I didn't have any trouble taking the cups apart using the spoon method. After I got them apart I heated the grill side with a blow dryer and pried the grills off. The only thing is that around the inner circumference there was still some of the grill in tact. I tried heating the individual parts and prying the remainder of the grill off but it didn't work. In the end I just used my dremel's sandpaper bit attachment and went at it. They came out alright, though the inside is a little scuffed. I was wondering how everyone on here handled the issue?

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 25
i just reheated the insides of the cups with the hair dryer and pulled them out with needle-nosed pliers, then scraped the rest of the hot glue out with my pocket knife.

Jul 24, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by snozle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried heating the individual parts and prying the remainder of the grill off but it didn't work.

Yeah, in the past, Grado hot glued the plastic grill which made it easy to "melt" the glue and remove. Now they use some sort of epoxy that makes removing the grill much more difficult. They also epoxy on the plastic button. TMK, you have to do what you have already done, break off the grill and grind away the remaining plastic.

Jul 31, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 25
What are you guys using to cut the McMaster-Carr? I just got mine in the mail and this stuff seems thick...don't want to damage my scissors. Thanks ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back