wire mesh for Grado mod
Jun 28, 2007 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

soMn

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone know of a reliable source for wire mesh for the Grado mod? I've considered the modder's mesh, and the honeycomb looks like it would do well, but I'd prefer woven wire.

I found this:

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control...8X008S0320W48T

but shipping is as much as a single swatch of material, and I wouldn't really think twice about it if I were modding some 125s or something, but these are just 60s and I'm just trying to get my feet wet in the DIY area.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 25
There is a company called Small Parts that sells small quantities of
specialized materials to prototypers and laboratories.

They have some very nice stainless steel mesh in varying gauges and
weaves.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 25
McMaster has the same stuff, but I don't know how much they charge for shipping. They charge $10 for a 12"x12" piece of mesh with the same specs as you linked (8x8, 304 stainless, 0.032 wire).

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 25
Alternatively, you could use a silver steel mesh material from a drawer organizer box. I found them at Bed Bath and Beyond for $5. I have seen similar items at most office supply stores like Staples. I cut out and shaped two circular disks from the bottom of the mesh box with my Dremel tool and then inserted it in place of the stock plastic one. I used black silicon adhesive to hold it in place. I guess you could also use hot glue like Grado does.
Here are pics of my results...
621380_61_full.jpg

Not as nice as the McMaster stuff, but it accomplishes the same thing.

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not as nice as the McMaster stuff, but it accomplishes the same thing.

I was just going to say, "McMasterCarr probably has some".
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 25
thanks much. I'll check out both Small Parts and McMaster.

I actually have a pen holder made out of that same mesh you used, Kontai, and raised an eyebrow when I was walking past and noticed it the other day, but then I thought that it had served me too well over the past few years to just rip it apart like that (plus it's a bit tighter mesh). I might end up making a trip to Target to see if there's something like that though, because yours look nice.

Jun 29, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 25
I can't remember exactly what it's called, but at my work ACE Hardware, there's a Percolator wire mesh filter thing that might work. I was thinking of using it for KSC75 grill mod, but I used a aluminum Splatter Screen mesh instead.

I'll find out tomorrow what it is.

edit: I think it's a French Press Mesh Filter.

Jul 3, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 25
The thing I have at work is a Sprouting Strainer mesh that fits inside a Mason Jar Lid

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 25
Yeah, you should try looking around locally before ordering online (well, if the online prices aren't appealing to you, anyway.)

I got some nice copper mesh at an art store for about $10. It's very thin though so I needed two layers to make something durable enough to be worthwhile.

You can look at hardware stores, art stores, and even in cooking supplies as other people have suggested. Get creative!
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 25
heh, it's funny you suggest a sprouting strainer mesh. my girlfriend had a sprouting jar in the kitchen the other day and when I saw it I said "Oooh!" and started to unscrew the cap. but she knew exactly what I was doing and shouted "NO" and snatched it away from me before I could get to it.

I haven't tried art supply stores, but I've tried a couple different Lowes (found a bird feeder that I was going to take apart, but the mesh was too open), Home Depot, and a couple different independent plumbing and hardware stores. maybe I'm just too picky, but then I'm in no real hurry either.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, it's funny you suggest a sprouting strainer mesh. my girlfriend had a sprouting jar in the kitchen the other day and when I saw it I said "Oooh!" and started to unscrew the cap. but she knew exactly what I was doing and shouted "NO" and snatched it away from me before I could get to it.

I haven't tried art supply stores, but I've tried a couple different Lowes (found a bird feeder that I was going to take apart, but the mesh was too open), Home Depot, and a couple different independent plumbing and hardware stores. maybe I'm just too picky, but then I'm in no real hurry either.

LOL, check ACE Hardware or Kitchenware type stores for another Sprouting Strainer. I used an Aluminum grease splatter screen to mod my KSC's (EKCO brand splatter screen)

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 25
I used the mesh cut from those desk organizers and spray painted it gloss black when I woodied my last pair of Grados...

1164773012_walnut125.jpg

It worked well, looks great, and the black can look much better than the silver depending on the look you're going for.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 25
thanks for all of the help. in the end, I ordered a 12" x 12" sheet from McMaster-Carr and it turned out well. Actually, I was just going to use the mesh from a desk organizer thing from Target, which I bought specifically for that purpose (but leave it silver to contrast with the black plastic), but when I created an order on McMaster to check their shipping prices (which turned out to be extremely fair), I accidentally placed the order, so I called the next day and when I found out the end price I just decided to go with it.

the result:
close-up.jpg

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 25
That looks great soMn! Was it difficult to open them? I'd like to do this when I go in and recable mine.

Ian...those are hot!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back