Winter jackets
Jul 18, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #31 of 39
I spent $120 on a Columbia jacket, and with a sweater underneath that got me through anything that southern Ontario could throw at me. Honestly it isn't that bad in Ontario, especially in the city. I can't imagine the US would be any worse than TO, so your budget should be much more than enough.

I did used to live in Edmonton though, and -50 Celsius is a completely different animal.

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #32 of 39
It's hard to imagine living in such cold places. Sometimes a t-shirt can be too warm in my city. Arc'Teryx is a good choice, go layers, go for warm but not weight. Wool can keep you warm even when it's wet.

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #33 of 39
Southern Ontario is nothing like Minneapolis. Minneapolis is on average, nearly as cold as Winterpeg, Manncolda. -15 -20F (not C) are not uncommon, or so I understand.

Jul 18, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #34 of 39
Heh, Toronto "Winter". I've lived in Canada my entire life, and recently all I've needed was a light, synthetic-filled parka and a t-shirt. It's worked in New Brunswick, and Toronto. In Toronto, I often just wore a hoodie or light jacket.

Then again, I'm a freak of nature.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #36 of 39
as far as brand, look at marmot as well, a windproof shell and fleece combo has kept me warm in western NY with only a t-shirt on underneath in temps as low as -5 or so with windchills as low as -20

got the combo for about $200 bucks

Jul 21, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may seem like a stupid question, seeing as I grew up in Toronto, Ontario - which is a pretty cold city in the winter, but for the past six years I've called Vancouver, British Columbia home and haven't needed a winter jacket. What I've used as a winter jacket in Vancouver would maybe qualify as a fall/spring jacket in Toronto.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good stores to buy winter jackets at in Minneapolis area, and approximately how much a good quality winter jacket will cost? Our income is going to be halved for at least four months, and it is within those four months that it is going to start getting cold, so I want to know how much I'm going to need to budget for two winter jackets.

Cheers,
Brad

I just read the first 3 posts on this thread so I apologize if I repeat something that has already been said, but being that I live in Minneapolis, I strongly suggest a North Face jacket. I've had mine for 8 years now and it's the best winter coat I've ever owned...it even looks new after every wash. Another thing I highly suggest is getting the "Wind-Stopper" inner (fleece) jacket because the wind can be worse than the cold at times.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Jul 21, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear one of those long black coats. soo nice, and it looks good.

Same here, they're pretty sleek-looking, and very warm. More of something you'd wear to the office, rather than skiing. Twill coats, I believe they're called.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read the first 3 posts on this thread so I apologize if I repeat something that has already been said, but being that I live in Minneapolis, I strongly suggest a North Face jacket. I've had mine for 8 years now and it's the best winter coat I've ever owned...it even looks new after every wash. Another thing I highly suggest is getting the "Wind-Stopper" inner (fleece) jacket because the wind can be worse than the cold at times.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Hi Nick,

Other's have suggested North Face, but I'm not sure if they were from the Twin Cities themselves, so I really appreciate your input.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm always happy for friendly advice from fellow Head-Fi'rs!

Cheers,
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back