Winter jackets
Jul 15, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
This may seem like a stupid question, seeing as I grew up in Toronto, Ontario - which is a pretty cold city in the winter, but for the past six years I've called Vancouver, British Columbia home and haven't needed a winter jacket. What I've used as a winter jacket in Vancouver would maybe qualify as a fall/spring jacket in Toronto.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of good stores to buy winter jackets at in Minneapolis area, and approximately how much a good quality winter jacket will cost? Our income is going to be halved for at least four months, and it is within those four months that it is going to start getting cold, so I want to know how much I'm going to need to budget for two winter jackets.

Cheers,
Brad

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 39
Multiple layers > one heavy jacket and a few layers. If it's too cold, just wear more layers.

I personally like Arc'Teryx, Mountain Hardwear, and North Face stuff myself, but it's relatively expensive. Durable as hell, though, and it's not like those junk marshmallow jackets that are popular in the winter now. That stuff's gotten me through some -20* (without wind chill) days before.

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #6 of 39
if you can grab hold of it, try finding canada goose jackets.
Canada Goose

extremely warm, I have one for odd winter hiking
wink.gif

arc'teryx is pretty good too, but they're on the expensive side

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 39
I'd say Canada Goose is overkill for the city, unless you plan to spend long periods of time outside without moving. I've got a down parka by Mountain Hardware that is very warm, but my default Manitoba winter getup is comprised of three pieces: a heavy fleece jacket, a sturdy shell of the Gore-Tex ilk, and if it's really cold, a down insulated vest between the jacket and shell. That will do you for everything the Twin Cities can throw your way, though you will also want some insulated windproof pants on the really cold days. Make sure you get a shell with a hood also.

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say Canada Goose is overkill for the city, unless you plan to spend long periods of time outside without moving. I've got a down parka by Mountain Hardware that is very warm, but my default Manitoba winter getup is comprised of three pieces: a heavy fleece jacket, a sturdy shell of the Gore-Tex ilk, and if it's really cold, a down insulated vest between the jacket and shell. That will do you for everything the Twin Cities can throw your way, though you will also want some insulated windproof pants on the really cold days. Make sure you get a shell with a hood also.

I agree. I find it too heavy and warm to wear in the city. But they do make lighter jackets though.

Jul 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as in neo from matrix ish?

kind of, but not that thin, or body hugging. it only goes up to me knees.

Jul 16, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 39
Does Minneapolis have TJMaxx? I got a discontinued NorthFace parka there for less than half of the list, and it's the warmest jacket I've ever had. Waterproof too. Wound up wearing it through four hours of sleet at a Patriots game and barely noticed the weather.

Jul 16, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 39
Go for layers. Merino wool underneath works great, and a shell on top. I have good experience with Dermizax. Softer and more comfortable than Gore-Tex.

Remember, avoid cotton! If you get sweaty, or the cotton gets wet you are in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back