Winter ear warmer - Bored of Bose.
Nov 7, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The truth is that srh840 looks ridiculous on the head.I've noticed that before i buy it at a reflection on a glass,at the shop when i demoed it,but i only realised how ugly it is when i looked in the mirror,unfortunatelly after i bought it.

The sound quality outperforms all the other closed headphones i've tried,including sony mdr 7509hd,sennheiser hd25 1-ii,akg k240 mkii,k271mkii,german maestro 8.35.(thats my personal taste,someone else may have a different opinion)

The srh 840 don't have this weird sound/colouration some closed headphones have,they sound balanced,natural and spacious for a closed design,with a slightly warm and smooth sound signature.

I'd concur in some respects, but it's less ultimately capable (although less unbalanced in subjective terms) than the 271, it's significantly less practical as a transportable in comparison to the HD25-1 as well as less isolating, less comfortable than the 7509 or the HD380. So while it's not an undisputed standout, rather a very good effort. But still, strictly one for the basement studio / office cubicle IMO.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by attika89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the Denon D1001?
But the Denons are between supra- and circumaural. I mean someone can use them as circumaural cans, but they are actually supreaural as I know, but they are very comfy...
I'm thinking of buying one of them but dont know wich one should I pick (ATH M50, D1001, SHR840) ....

The 1001 seems to suffer from the DT231 / ATH-ES7 / etc issue: Closed, but not actually meaningfully isolated.

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #21 of 42
If it HAD TO BE closed, circumaural, and comfy... And through eliminating the phones that you've blacklisted, I can only came up with two options:

The first is the easier one: Get Shure SRH840 and bear with the stares people give you. It is that bulky, and the headband doesn't bend following your head shape: it doesn't touch your head around the parts where it ends into both earcups. Hence the even bulkier look. But it is comfy, closed, circumaural, with good SQ.

The second is better looking. Which is DT770 pro, whichever version is the best. This is even more comfy than the Shure- I've tried both. And they look more normal with the thinner headband, and the cup looks more like an earmuff. The thing is that I think you have to amp it to get all the juice.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it HAD TO BE closed, circumaural, and comfy... And through eliminating the phones that you've blacklisted, I can only came up with two options:

The first is the easier one: Get Shure SRH840 and bear with the stares people give you. It is that bulky, and the headband doesn't bend following your head shape: it doesn't touch your head around the parts where it ends into both earcups. Hence the even bulkier look. But it is comfy, closed, circumaural, with good SQ.

The second is better looking. Which is DT770 pro, whichever version is the best. This is even more comfy than the Shure- I've tried both. And they look more normal with the thinner headband, and the cup looks more like an earmuff. The thing is that I think you have to amp it to get all the juice.

More normal is a matter of Head-Fi-nerd-level interpretation I suppose. I use the MMX 300's as my gamers but jeez, I would not take one step outside with the 770's.

The SRH840's have come and gone... with a massive loss because I screwed up on the shipping. Either way, they have zero attraction for me. The sound quality improvement over the other candidates on the move is not good enough to deal with the complete lack of any social acceptability, and the tradeoff for the slightly increased isolation vs the comfort level of the Bose is also not worthwhile either.

Seems like the Triports are the best candidate for the 4th year running, I guess...

I mean, seriously, I want a change. Something lightweight, comfortable & ear-enclosing, actually isolating, socially acceptable with a sound quality that's better than the Triport. You'd think with all the abuse levelled at Bose as inadequate that it wouldn't be that hard to find, wouldn't you...?

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #24 of 42
They look awfully like another excessively broad-shouldered headphone to me, and if I were to be honest I'm not feeling that orange accent. Anyone brave enough to post a worn pic, or stacked on something with a known dimension?

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean, seriously, I want a change. Something lightweight, comfortable & ear-enclosing, actually isolating, socially acceptable with a sound quality that's better than the Triport. You'd think with all the abuse levelled at Bose as inadequate that it wouldn't be that hard to find, wouldn't you...?

How about HD 25-1 II's? Forgive me if this was already mentioned at the start of the thread.

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #26 of 42
Hum... I have basically have the same Question as the OP, although I'd like to try to stay at $100 or below!
tongue_smile.gif

My Triports finally died (poor build quality head band has more or less disintegrated, and I'm tired of taping them!) after > 4 years. While not the best phones in history (understatement), they did have a few good things going for them... excellent sound isolation (in both directions .. i can't hear them, they can't hear me), making them great for travel, library, etc.; they sounded pretty acceptable (although not for their asking price... I was naive then), they were light and they were pretty stylish.

Now, I'm not a huge headphone guy and haven't spent a ton of time around here, but I ended up going with Senn HD595 for home use and Nuforce NE-7M for my in-ear portable use. I feel like both sets provide a really high level of value, and am quite impressed with the sound from both; the 595s are prob the best headphone's I've had the pleasure of listening to.

This has me leaning in the Senn directions... looking at phones like the EH-150, HD 212 Pro, HD 228. Anyone have opinions on these? From what I've read it looks like the HD212 Pro have TONS of bass, which I think might be fun for the purposes I'm looking for... they're inexpensive and look pretty stylish.

What other phones should I be looking at? I'm sure the Shure's sound great, but they just look too big and bulky, I don't want to be carrying those on an airplane or sitting in the library, walking down the street, etc.

Thanks everyone!
atsmile.gif

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 42
High end IEM + PXC 450

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyg1983 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has me leaning in the Senn directions... looking at phones like the EH-150, HD 212 Pro, HD 228. Anyone have opinions on these? From what I've read it looks like the HD212 Pro have TONS of bass, which I think might be fun for the purposes I'm looking for... they're inexpensive and look pretty stylish.

HD212: not really in terms of bass. Looking at FOTM's in Head-Fi over the years, it seems that as Head-Fi has become popular, what is deemed good has got less... well, hi-fi, shall we say. Pounding bass is not minded anymore. The very popular Earsuits are a case in point: ATH-ES7's would have been mildly savaged in '03, the ESW's could very well have been raked over the coals back then too. With that benchmark, you could call the 212 almost refined these days.

- I'm allowed to be snooty, I'm a Head-Fi lifer
tongue.gif
-
[size=xx-small](Plus I can listen to many of the currently popular phones, stick the somewhat justifiably-maligned-in-the-early-days-of-Head-Fi MDR-V700DJ on my head, then point and laugh)[/size]

Comfort OK for a supraaural phone although not in the class of the Triport, looks a bit weird, but not too awful, and it's by no means a particularly bad phone for the money. You could give it a try... if you consider it from a purely sonic / portability viability perspective, it's somewhat better value for money than the Bose. But it lacks the 'whole package' for me to go back to.

The same beneficiary of the lowest-common-denominator sliding of Head-Fi is IMO the K81 / K518DJ. I really do not understand how people can savage the Triport and praise these AKG's with a straight face. I'd say gyou could give them a try, because I really don't know what people like anymore. For all I could know you could all be a figment of my imagination and I'm talking to myself...

Quote:

What other phones should I be looking at?

Good question!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High end IEM + PXC 450

I have done the Shure E5 + DT250 (with the cable disconnected) a long time ago. It actually did work pretty well from a winter cold perspective. But that was simply because I happened to have the DT250 at the time, and well, apart from other stuff it's a hassle to take off the phone *and* take out the IEM when you need to hear announcements etc. (I do have a PTH, but it's too unwieldy. Dear Shure, if we are going to have another PTH could it be with swappable, thin cables and an actual PTH with contact-and-lock, and not a STH?)

Nov 18, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #30 of 42
What about those Beats by Dre headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back