Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jul 29, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #631 of 4,133

Quote:
Just got a pm from Miu Audio saying I'm one of the people they've selected to receive a free portable diy amp kit. 
cool.gif
  I'll try to get that done before we meet in the fall.  Nathan, I saw you had posted your interest in that thread as well - have they gotten back to you yet?  I'd be surprised if you weren't selected too.

Congrats on the win

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #632 of 4,133
Thanks, though I think Nathan should have 'ranked' higher than me in both the diy skills and forum involvement categories.  I hope he gets it too!

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #635 of 4,133
Should I start planning the next meet? Acidbasement will be in town Sept 27th, we can tentatively plan around that. I figure we can do a bbq like our very first meet.

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #636 of 4,133
I can't guarantee that I'll be able to meet up on the 27th - will have to figure out a few family things first.  I'll definitely be in town though.  Hope I can make it!  I'll post here as soon as I know.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #637 of 4,133
Alrighty guys, I need some help downsizing my vintage audio gear, haha, I wanna upgrade.  I know it might be a long shot....So, if you know anyone who wants to start getting into this type of gear let me know.  I am in excess of amplifiers and turntables and I will sell them at very good prices as I need to move them, nothing over $100 probably nothing over $85, unless they want the good and heavy stuff and are in extremely good condition, haha.

Turntables have some quirks but they were considered mid-high end under consumer purchases, I have found parts for them and upgraded their cartridge under my ownership.  I am extremely fair with my prices and I've dealt with many people all over Winnipeg.  I have listed some stuff on Kijiji besides the turntables that I will post here for now.  They are:

PS-X50 turntable - Quartz lock with the PUA-7 tonearm with the extra counterweight (which everyone seems to lose), upgraded to an AT-140LC cartridge/stylus, and the "sony" branded 45 rpm puck.  Unit is complete no parts missing.  This also has VTA, vertical tracking adjustment, you can raise the tonearm up and down.  Quirks: micro-switch have issues and it's known problem and strobe light is out but it's quartz locked and there is no pitch control so the pitch will always be accurate.  I have opened this unit up and cleaned/lubed to the best of my abilities.

Sony PS-X7 turntable - Quartz lock with a carbon arm with the extra counterweight (again people lose it and will pay good money for it), upgraded the cartridge to an Empire 2000ED cartridge and it comes with the original packaging.  Stylus is aftermarket.  This has touch controls, pretty good, and uses an anti resonance base.  Gel feet with gel filled mat. Complete, so headshell is original, found the original sony 45 rpm adapter (expensive on ebay).  Quirks, Dustcover was cracked and I had to reglue it (came like that), tonearm needs new dampening fluid (I can provide that).  However, runs well when used as a semi-automatic since you drop the needle.  The oil filled mat has pooled and not really usable but I am trying to flatten it out.  But, I have another mat on it.

For interest sake, I do have a Dual 1219 that I need to go through, needs to be re-greased, but it does it's complete and has a Shure V15 Type II cartridge and original stylus.  As it, it does work, but since the grease has harden up not all the automatic features work all the time, sat too long in a basement.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #638 of 4,133
My father reports that the Miu headphone amp kit came in the mail.  Unfortunately I'm still in Alberta for the next 2 weeks, so I won't be able to heat up the soldering iron till I get home.

Aug 19, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #640 of 4,133
Hey everyone,

Just got back from a 6 week hiatus and am starting to settle in.
Just wanted to put my vote in for a meet sometime soon.

Btw, I had the Audio-gd C-2 sitting in the mail upon my arrival. So far, I can hardly hear a difference, but I might still be doing something wrong. I'll play around with it for a little longer and will report back, hopefully with better results.

Aug 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #641 of 4,133

Quote:
Well, we gotta work around your schedule for the meet, as I am quite interested in seeing that amp in action.

I just found a case for it at a garage sale (mine is in much better shape than the one in this image):

It's way too big for the amp, but it's classier than a little mint tin I'd say.

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #642 of 4,133

Quote:

I just found a case for it at a garage sale (mine is in much better shape than the one in this image):

It's way too big for the amp, but it's classier than a little mint tin I'd say.

this one is mine

I found the tin at The Forks for about 6 bones

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #643 of 4,133
And I'm back.  Its been a while since I was on the forum here!  Congrats Iain on winning your new project, I look forward to potentially hearing it some time, and I really like your choice of housing.  I'd also like to throw my hat into the fall meet ring.  I'll finally meet some of the new Winnipeg head-fiers!  

Nathan, as I'm sure you know I am always interested in a bbq, and the first one worked out really well so I think thats a great plan, although we'd need to figure out where we were having it.  I may be able to host it this time if we're looking for a good outdoor space, but I'd have to check the dates before totally committing to that.  

Hope everyone's been having a great summer!

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #644 of 4,133
We're currently working on a tentative Tuesday Sept 27th as that's when Iain will be in town. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #645 of 4,133

Quote:
this one is mine

I found the tin at The Forks for about 6 bones

I like that a lot.  What shop is it from, and do they have other tins?

Quote:
And I'm back.  Its been a while since I was on the forum here!  Congrats Iain on winning your new project, I look forward to potentially hearing it some time, and I really like your choice of housing.  I'd also like to throw my hat into the fall meet ring.  I'll finally meet some of the new Winnipeg head-fiers!  

Nathan, as I'm sure you know I am always interested in a bbq, and the first one worked out really well so I think thats a great plan, although we'd need to figure out where we were having it.  I may be able to host it this time if we're looking for a good outdoor space, but I'd have to check the dates before totally committing to that.  

Hope everyone's been having a great summer!

Hey, thanks Andrew, and good to hear from you.  If people are interested I'm sure we can organize a bit of a local loaner program for the Miu.  My cmoy will do fine for me while the Miu makes the rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back