Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Mar 31, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #466 of 4,133
Hey guys, we got sick of Edmonton (well, it's a bit longer of a story than that) and we're heading home to the farm in a month.  I must say, I can't bloody wait.  Hopefully I'll see the big crew at a meet this summer.  I want to show off my HP-3 frankenorthos.  Also, if any of you head out toward Riding Mountain National Park and want to geek out over some BBQ, drop me a line.

One other thing:  [shameless plug] my folks are finally going to retire from farming, and I'm taking over.  We currently just have a small herd of grass-fed cattle, but I'm planning on branching out into chickens, turkeys, and maybe others too.  I'm hoping to make direct selling a big part of the business plan, so if anyone needs ethically raised meat at far more reasonable prices than you would pay in a health food store, let me know and I'll keep you posted as I figure out what I'm doing. [/shameless plug]

Looking forward to seeing you guys again.  :)

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #467 of 4,133
Winnipeg actually has quite the large audio scene, even on AK but, my guess would be that many don't like to show/share their goodies with other, haha or it's too inconvenience to carry their gear.

Iain if you come back, who will be my audio picker in AB?  Haha, it's cool that you're coming back and I like your idea of your business, so will you be selling actual meat products? 

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #468 of 4,133
I was reading through the K.I.C.A.S. review thread the other day and I remember seeing someone who had posted and thinking 'oh, that guy is totally from Winnipeg'. I can't remember who it was, nor can I be sure whether or not I was accurate.

In any case, I've got a pair of D5000's and I've been looking at an amp for them. The K.I.C.A.S. was my top contender but I'd first like to try it out before I pull the trigger. It might shed some light as to whether or not I even need an amp, or if my money is better spent elsewhere.

So, if someone does indeed own the K.I.C.A.S. please speak up as I would love to be able to meet and try out the amp.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #469 of 4,133
Quote:

Iain if you come back, who will be my audio picker in AB?  Haha, it's cool that you're coming back and I like your idea of your business, so will you be selling actual meat products? 

Hey David, if all goes according to plan we'll be selling meat directly to people, rather than selling live animals to feedlots at auction (the usual way of beef farming).  We'll have to figure out details, since there are food safety regulations to follow, but in general when buying directly from farmers, people will purchase 1/4, 1/2, or whole animals, depending on their freezer space.

And I'll try to make sure the U-Haul has a piece of gear for you when it's loaded.  :)

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #470 of 4,133

Quote:
I was reading through the K.I.C.A.S. review thread the other day and I remember seeing someone who had posted and thinking 'oh, that guy is totally from Winnipeg'. I can't remember who it was, nor can I be sure whether or not I was accurate.

In any case, I've got a pair of D5000's and I've been looking at an amp for them. The K.I.C.A.S. was my top contender but I'd first like to try it out before I pull the trigger. It might shed some light as to whether or not I even need an amp, or if my money is better spent elsewhere.

So, if someone does indeed own the K.I.C.A.S. please speak up as I would love to be able to meet and try out the amp.

Give Mythless a shout. In any event, it might be a moot point because I believe all the KICAS are sold out. You can ask them if they have any b-stock or demo units available though.

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #471 of 4,133

Quote:
Give Mythless a shout. In any event, it might be a moot point because I believe all the KICAS are sold out. You can ask them if they have any b-stock or demo units available though.

Quote:

Yeppers, I got the KICAS, great amp.  Can't drive my new (old) Yammies HP-2, need a good amp my rotel and other vintage gear does the job well, and boy they sound great.  I actually don't think the bass is lacking, reminds me of the RE0 but with better extension and staging.

Quote:
Quote:

Hey David, if all goes according to plan we'll be selling meat directly to people, rather than selling live animals to feedlots at auction (the usual way of beef farming).  We'll have to figure out details, since there are food safety regulations to follow, but in general when buying directly from farmers, people will purchase 1/4, 1/2, or whole animals, depending on their freezer space.

And I'll try to make sure the U-Haul has a piece of gear for you when it's loaded.  :)

Ooo, tough competition with allnaturalmeats.com already having a foothold in wpg.  Haha, cool you already have a piece in mind? :p

Mar 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #472 of 4,133
OK well lack of stock isn't much of a problem for me, I'm patient enough. It also isn't so much a question of which amp I want, more like if I want an amp or not and if the answer turns out to be yes, whether the K.I.C.A.S. is a good choice.
I'll be sure to PM Mythless, thanks!

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #473 of 4,133

Quote:
Ooo, tough competition with allnaturalmeats.com already having a foothold in wpg.  Haha, cool you already have a piece in mind? :p

Hmmm, strange website; it took me awhile to find a local farm.  I don't think we'll be competing with them - there are lots of people who need to eat, and we're closer to Brandon anyway.  :)

No, I don't have a piece in mind.  I've been busy with illness and work lately, and I see the HK amp you were looking at seems to have disappeared now that I have a bit of time to get out and look at stuff.  Let me know if you see anything interesting to you on kijiji in the next few weeks, and I'll see what I can do.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #474 of 4,133

Quote:

Hmmm, strange website; it took me awhile to find a local farm.  I don't think we'll be competing with them - there are lots of people who need to eat, and we're closer to Brandon anyway.  :)

No, I don't have a piece in mind.  I've been busy with illness and work lately, and I see the HK amp you were looking at seems to have disappeared now that I have a bit of time to get out and look at stuff.  Let me know if you see anything interesting to you on kijiji in the next few weeks, and I'll see what I can do.

You should build a base in Winnipeg too if you can get the customer base.  But, you need to play your marketing skills in you ability to prove/show and advertise free-ranged, grass fed, organic foods.  If you can do that you'll build a strong foothold.  I recommend radio :p and having promotions.

I'll keep that in mind, time to resume looking in edmonton.  I thought you might have been busy, no worries on the HK, other deals will come up.  I'll shoot you a pm if something catches my eyes.  Anything else you're looking for?

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #476 of 4,133

Quote:
You should build a base in Winnipeg too if you can get the customer base.  But, you need to play your marketing skills in you ability to prove/show and advertise free-ranged, grass fed, organic foods.  If you can do that you'll build a strong foothold.  I recommend radio :p and having promotions.

I'll keep that in mind, time to resume looking in edmonton.  I thought you might have been busy, no worries on the HK, other deals will come up.  I'll shoot you a pm if something catches my eyes.  Anything else you're looking for?

Yeah, I know enough hippies in Winnipeg from when I lived there (as a hippie) that I can probably sell a fair few there just to friends.  Most likely I'll also build a website with 360 degree photos, similar to streetview, so that people can get a sense of what goes on at our farm.  Maybe I'll set up a booth at one of the farmer's markets for awhile too, more for the purpose of handing out promo/business cards than selling.

As for gear for me, nope, I'm pretty much maxed out right now, but did I see something about you having an old Yamaha HP-2?  I'd like to hear that sometime.  :)

Quote:
Hmm, if you want to do radio advertising give me a shout.

Do you have a show on UMFM?  What is it?

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #477 of 4,133

Quote:
Do you have a show on UMFM?  What is it?

Swing Radio, Tuesday 2-3pm. I can look into ad rates for you if that's something you're interested in, and I can even do the voicework if you like.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #478 of 4,133
Cool, I'll try to tune in online.  I'll let you know about adverts once I figure out what I'm doing - thanks for letting me know.  Most likely I won't be going into the direct marketing thing full-scale for a year or so, and just sell to interested friends this summer.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #480 of 4,133

Quote:

I was going to order one of those a month ago but there were none in stock. I emailed the fellow and got a reply saying they be out for quite a while so I went looking for something else. Does he have them in stock now, I haven't been to the site since then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back