Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jan 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #391 of 4,133
Hi Nathan, Wally and I are planning on joining you guys on the 6th..... Steve, if it's not too much trouble (if you come, of course), I'd appreciate seeing your squeezebox. Not much new for me, got the new memory foam version of J$ pads for the Denons if anyone is interested in trying them. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to install the MarkL style modded 7000 wood cups before then. Kids have been sick lately, little time for projects though. Anyway, looking forward to the 6th. 

Mike

Jan 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #393 of 4,133

Quote:
Hi Nathan, Wally and I are planning on joining you guys on the 6th..... Steve, if it's not too much trouble (if you come, of course), I'd appreciate seeing your squeezebox. Not much new for me, got the new memory foam version of J$ pads for the Denons if anyone is interested in trying them. I'm hoping I'll get a chance to install the MarkL style modded 7000 wood cups before then. Kids have been sick lately, little time for projects though. Anyway, looking forward to the 6th. 

Mike

I can set up an SD card with a small selection of music on it. I use it with a hard drive plugged into the USB port so there is no computer attached but it takes about a half hour to scan the drive after it has been disconnected. Should only take a few minutes with the  smaller card. I'll bring the DAC because I'm not fond of the sound of the headphone out on the Squeezebox Touch unit

Steve

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #394 of 4,133
Lindsay, have you used them on a plane yet? Did you get them locally or online? I guess I can take the ANC-7s off my eBay watch list then. And Steve, thanks for the offer to set up your Squeezebox. It sounds like it might be a bit of hassle to get the SD card, DAC etc. in order, and I really don't want to cause that much grief. Just curious because I actually just found out what the hell they were!! I'm looking to upgrade my 2G iPod Touch 8Gb (really starting to get miffed at Apples control freak mentality), and I thought the Squeezebox might be an option. If it requires a DAC out to be comparable to the audio out of an iPod touch please don't go to the trouble. To tell you the truth, I was mostly interested in what interface you use to manage tunes on it, and how flexible it was. 

Mike

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #395 of 4,133

Quote:
Steve, thanks for the offer to set up your Squeezebox. It sounds like it might be a bit of hassle to get the SD card, DAC etc. in order, and I really don't want to cause that much grief. Just curious because I actually just found out what the hell they were!! I'm looking to upgrade my 2G iPod Touch 8Gb (really starting to get miffed at Apples control freak mentality), and I thought the Squeezebox might be an option. If it requires a DAC out to be comparable to the audio out of an iPod touch please don't go to the trouble. To tell you the truth, I was mostly interested in what interface you use to manage tunes on it, and how flexible it was. 

Mike

I'll be bringing the Squeezebox Touch but not the DAC. I had another listen to the headphone out and I don't think it's really bad, I just prefer the headphone out on the DAC. I'm setting up an SD card with about 8gb of music. The Squeezebox itself is supposed to have a good DAC built in but I've had the Music Hall DAC longer then the Touch but it's no problem to bring.

I have an iMac 27 and an iPod classic and I've been miffed at Apple ever since I saw the introduction of the iPad with Steve Jobs on stage in front of a large screen with a picture of Moses coming down Mount Sinai with the tablets...who does the guy think he is. 

Anyways, I'm looking forward to going there,  is it at the small as last time?

Steve

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #396 of 4,133
Yep, should be the same place. I'll be spamming out a mass pm in the next day or two.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #397 of 4,133
Haven't been on here for ages since my headphone debacle, kinda moved on to my vintage gear stuff.  I still got some new gear with me, two new items.  I can be there, I think.  Steve if you're looking for an amp, I am thinking of replacing my Audio-gd Sparrow if you're interested.

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #398 of 4,133

Quote:
Haven't been on here for ages since my headphone debacle, kinda moved on to my vintage gear stuff.  I still got some new gear with me, two new items.  I can be there, I think.  Steve if you're looking for an amp, I am thinking of replacing my Audio-gd Sparrow if you're interested.

And perhaps I can speak with you about looking at your fine collection of classical music CDs. Think your dad might have some stuff ready by that time? Ask him about volume discounts! (ie if I spend x, is it possible to get a few freebies?)

Jan 25, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #399 of 4,133

Quote:

They seem to have a few different versions of that amp   which one do you have. I was hoping to have RCA inputs so I could listen to the tube output of my DAC but I'd still like to have a look at it

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #400 of 4,133

Quote:
Quote:

And perhaps I can speak with you about looking at your fine collection of classical music CDs. Think your dad might have some stuff ready by that time? Ask him about volume discounts! (ie if I spend x, is it possible to get a few freebies?)

Since you mentioned it, we did buy some bookcases for his LP/CD collection and been busy putting them up.  I'm sure he'll give you a discount if you buy a large volume lol.  I shall ask.

Quote:
Quote:

They seem to have a few different versions of that amp   which one do you have. I was hoping to have RCA inputs so I could listen to the tube output of my DAC but I'd still like to have a look at it

I got have Version A with the WM8741 module. 

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #401 of 4,133
A question for you guys:

How long do these meet-ups usually go for?
I ask since this would be my first one and cinematheque is showing Jason and the Argonauts on the 6th @ 2pm and I have trouble turning down classic movies at a theatre. :)

!![On that note, Polo is showing Dr. Zhivago in Feb as well]!!

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #402 of 4,133
They usually go for about 3 hours. Some people come and go, and a few of us stragglers hang around and chit chat.

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #405 of 4,133
PMs have been sent... all 20 of them:

acidbasement; ajm; headcred; takaji; mythless; sennheisermiser; lwc726; cyberidd; awah; trapper32; theblackfox; pincher; hotaudio40; orkney; dahan; aqsw; sckeith; JFroese; deeplogic; Vault101

Users who are viewing this thread

Back