Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Nov 1, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #301 of 4,134
I have yet to hear a Beyer that I like (although the 770 is so far the best I've heard in the line). Actually, Mythless has the T50p which is ok. I liked it more when it was new. For some reason after burn-in (which I'm not even a big believer of) I didn't like it as much. It's too bad I sold the DT48 before the meet; that was a fascinating headphone to listen to.

Orthos and electrostats are difficult beasts to drive. The Crack provides good voltage swing but as an OTL tube amp not much current. With their big drivers (by nature) though, orthos and stats need tons and tons of power. In my opinion, they pretty much demand hybrid or solid state, or really really hefty tubes. I'm actually not too sure what to do with my ortho since I sold the amp that could drive them properly.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #303 of 4,134

Quote:
I'm actually not too sure what to do with my ortho since I sold the amp that could drive them properly.

Speaker amp with LPad circuit.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #305 of 4,134
I'm hoping the 14th is still a go. Who do I PM for a time and place?? 

Nov 5, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #306 of 4,134
I can volunteer to host again unless someone else wants to step up in the next day or two. Otherwise I'll spam out a bunch of pm messages later.

Nov 7, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #308 of 4,134
Hey folks, I might need to push it back a few hours to 2pm on the 14th. That still ok with you guys?

I haven't sent out the PMs yet because I had to confirm some plans first (got friends moving out of country, so trying to coordinate a last visit before they leave).

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #309 of 4,134
I'm in  Winnipeg and might be interested. My new AKG  K702s are approaching are the 200 hour mark and my 35 year old Audio Technica AT-706's are about as burned as they can be. What's required to be involved?

Steve 

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #312 of 4,134
Well I got to find out what the wife has in mind. How many folks are you expecting to show up?  What music types will be is there and do you know if anyone will have a set of Stax 2050 basic there. Don't take his the wrong way but what is the age range, I just can't get into that hip hop stuff, I think back to the days when I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, I thought thay were the greatest and my folks thought they were bad. I guess I'm in that place now.

Thanks

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #313 of 4,134
Age range so far has been high school to 30's.

We've had three mini meets now and I don't think anyone's brought any hip hop at all. Some rock, folksy stuff, vocal jazz, classical, lo-fi, I've got swing/big band out the wazoo, etc.  I actually don't do all that much listening at the meets. It's more about meeting people and sharing the hobby.

I'm hoping for at least a half-dozen people to show. There are three confirmed (as in those I've physically spoken to), and everyone else is a maybe. The last two mini-meets were just 3-4 people apiece, but we had plenty of toys to try out and compare.

Ooh, please bring the Stax if you could. I don't think anyone else has ever heard one before. The closest would have been my K340s which are stat/dynamic hybrids (but I sold them a couple months ago).

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #314 of 4,134
At the first meet (the only one I've made it to thus far), most folks were in their 20s.  I think I was the oldest at 32.  I'm sure a geriatric such as yourself would be most welcome, if only to make me feel better about my age - you could sit in the big comfy chair and educate the whippersnappers about rolling tubes while walking to and from school ten miles uphill each way.

I jest of course.  We're a pretty laid-back and friendly bunch, and while I wouldn't rule out the possibility that someone might have a hip-hop playlist, the music at the first meet tended toward classical, jazz, blues, and rock if I recall correctly.  There was no Stax rig, but there are some new folks that have appeared on this list since then - just look at the profiles of the people posting in this thread and you'll see what kind of gear they have.  I recommend that you attend - it's nice to meet people with similar interests, and also to try out their gear.  I wish I lived closer to Winnipeg so that I could attend more meets.

Edit: I see Nathan beat me to this post!  Ah well...  I wish I could be there to try out your Stax.

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #315 of 4,134
sckeith, don't worry about the age range, I'm also an old guy and am bringing another old guy with. Not too much room on my 8gb iPod Touch, but I'll bring enough Classic Rock, Jazz, Fusion, Reggae, Pop etc. to keep us elders entertained. I'll try and bring most of my gear (see my signature), and I'm most interested in hearing lwc726's Headstage and your 702's. Would also be keen in hearing a set of Phiaton MS 400s and Beyer DT 770s if anyone would be kind enough to bring them. Looking forward to my first meet, please be gentle on Sunday!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back