Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Sep 10, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #3,991 of 4,133
Tangential question to this... but what do the Manitoba Distracted Driving Laws say on this? It used to be that you were not allowed to wear headphones while driving. Not sure how that applies now though.

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #3,992 of 4,133
I've been using these noise cancelling earbuds for the better part of 10 years. The frequency ranges they (QC20 by Bose) protect your ears are mainly the low freqs such as exhaust noise, wind noise etc however one is still able to hear such things as tire sounds, horns etc.

I've had a lot of exposure to noise cancelling products as a now retired pilot of 40 years and used noise cancelling products on the job for 15+ and made a point to educate myself on the various products, both headsets and helmets as i have used both. When you hear it is not just through the ear canal but also through bone conduction.

This part of the MB traffic Act* is beyond ridiculous as it appears legal to have an individual blasting bass in his car so loud it hurts you in your vehicle.

*I have never heard of anyone having this enforced on a bike. If anything one is safer when earbuds are used with common sense. On this particular bike I have been using the QC20 to eliminate the low freqs mentioned above so I can hear the bikes speakers at 100+kph. Works very well and increases the level of safety.

I have read the Act in detail after i got broad sided by a teenage idiot on a bicycle approx 6 years ago who figured the Act didn't apply to him. Anyone who rides a bicycle with a rear wheel diameter of 410+ mm should have a look at Section 145 and a couple others. I successfully defended myself in an MPI interview by referring to relevant parts of the Act that the MPI interrogator was unaware. Some of it is out of date.

I'd like to know when the part you refer to was written/amended. Like a lot of laws it was possibly written then forgotten about and as such remains on the books as it was written. Many years ago a Toronto municipality decided to do a bylaw that specified what temp your bathwater must be and to my knowledge it is still there.

A number of years ago allegedly a Brandon RCMP member was quoted as saying Distracted Driving was whatever he said it was (so much for the MB legislation) and that should be of concern to all MB citizens.

A major problem with the Distracted Driving infraction is you are charged and sentenced by the cop before you get your day in front of the magistrate/judge. Since 2015 it would seem the Charter of Rights and Freedoms is being slowly eliminated - observation as a citizen, not a lawyer - plus "the laws" are no longer applicable equally to all Cdns and this aspect is directly as a result of federal legislation.

So, this ended up being a long answer to a short question, Honestly I did not start out to write a novel in response, lol. I am more concerned with protecting my hearing and as a bonus get to listen to some tunes played at a reasonable volume.

On another note last winter I picked up the new Focal Bathys and am finding I use and prefer them to my Focal Clears which I think I will sell.

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #3,993 of 4,133
I don't have the patience to re-dig through the legalese, but I seem to recall from my last go through of it that it was so incredibly vague that it was almost carte blanche for the arresting officer to declare you "distracted" based on their own whims.

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #3,995 of 4,133
So now that I've tied the knot, am I supposed to get new gear to celebrate? Or perhaps those days are behind me now...

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,996 of 4,133
So now that I've tied the knot, am I supposed to get new gear to celebrate? Or perhaps those days are behind me now...

Congrats, my man!

On the contrary, now is a golden opportunity to buy up big. It's when kids arrive that the gear days are behind you......

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #3,998 of 4,133
Congrats, my man!

On the contrary, now is a golden opportunity to buy up big. It's when kids arrive that the gear days are behind you......

And that's when you switched to DIY because you had so much free time right?

Sep 13, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #4,000 of 4,133
I was thinking of you this weekend. Congrats! So it's headphones/amp for him on 1st anniversary and top tier espresso grinder for her.:slight_smile:

Wait, how much room is there to go up from the Mazzer?

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #4,001 of 4,133
In terms of price and/or quality, quite a bit. There is burr size and type and speed of the grind, which apparently can be tasted in the cup. Workflow considerations too. My current grinder does "grind by weight". I stick in the portafilter, the grinder recognizes it and grinds a preprogrammed amount of espresso into it. Of course, there's a price for such extravagance.

Sep 20, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #4,002 of 4,133
Hey dudes, I'm heading to Calgary/Banff on Thursday for a couple days. Anything I can pick up for you guys? Text me if you do as I won't be checking the forums.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #4,003 of 4,133
Hey dudes, I'm heading to Calgary/Banff on Thursday for a couple days. Anything I can pick up for you guys? Text me if you do as I won't be checking the forums.
Came on tonight to see what I have missed. Congrats on the Wedding! Also, I just noticed today is your 14th anniversary here in Head-fi. Did you get anything while you were in Calgary?

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #4,004 of 4,133
Came on tonight to see what I have missed. Congrats on the Wedding! Also, I just noticed today is your 14th anniversary here in Head-fi. Did you get anything while you were in Calgary?

Holy crap I've been here that long?!?

No, I didn't wind up buying anything in Calgary. I did check out Knifewear at the farmer's market, but I can't exactly bring kitchen knives into my carry-on luggage lol.

Most of my Calgary trip was spent driving around. We went out to Banff (couldn't stay out there, waaaaaay too expensive) and also did a drive halfway to Jasper. Lovely mountain scenery; it was actually my first time into the mountains.

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #4,005 of 4,133
Holy crap I've been here that long?!?

No, I didn't wind up buying anything in Calgary. I did check out Knifewear at the farmer's market, but I can't exactly bring kitchen knives into my carry-on luggage lol.

Most of my Calgary trip was spent driving around. We went out to Banff (couldn't stay out there, waaaaaay too expensive) and also did a drive halfway to Jasper. Lovely mountain scenery; it was actually my first time into the mountains.
Good to hear you finally made it to the mountains. I haven't spent a lot of time there but I have been through. Something everyone should have a chance to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back