Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #3,781 of 4,133
@Beefy I have never tested beyond a few quick outlet tests when upgrading our (old) house outlets. If I remember correctly it was around 121-123 vac. These crown amps are notorious for humming since they were built as studio amps that would be placed in racks and likely in a seperate room so hum was never really an issue in those environs. Also once crown sent these overseas to be built, those transformers are more likely to delaminate and generate buzz that way. That is curretly what I am dealing with. Tried the varnish+clamps method with little to no success. Thankfully these erasors let them "float" enough that the hum is almost inaudible from a few feet.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #3,784 of 4,133
@Velomane I am not 100% sure what brand since the eraser had been in my office forever. it was just squishy enough for me to test out and it seems to work well. I bet any of the softer Staedtler-type erasers might work. That said a quick Amazon search makes me think the eraser I used might be this one: eraser-link. A search for "black eraser" on Amazon gave a bunch of options. If you buy a few it would be great to hear if any one brand/type works better than others.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,785 of 4,133
Very likely a "snake oil"/placebo trick, but a free one. thought to throw it out here and see if anyone interested.

For anyone that streams w Apple Music through iOS, try load up the “Onkyo HF player”(Free from app store), under settings, set the "thread priority" to highest.
It seems changed the sound a little (better?), even when playing through the Apple music app.
As if it is a universal "sound better" switch embedded in a third party app??

First saw it on a Chinese forum w. quite a few positive feedbacks. Still questioning it myself. The whole thing is black box.

Jan 25, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3,786 of 4,133
@dfm1a1 I am of the opinion that anything that helps you calm any audio neuroses is a good thing for your enjoyment. It helps you focus on the music and not on the other factors that can pull you away. At least, until you are proven wrong by legitimate evidence and/or discussion.

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #3,787 of 4,133
In case anyone has a Fiio M6/M7/M9, I recently found a post on XDA (phone development/custom ROM site) that details how you can flash a custom version of the Fiio OS that allows you to sideload various audio programs /tweaks for better sound (ex: optomize system resrouces, install jamesDSP for eq, convolution, corossfeed, etc.). I am currently working on equivalent audio mods for some of my older Android phones and getting promising results with at least one of them. If anyone has experience working with custom Android roms we should talk!

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #3,788 of 4,133
hi, guys in winnipeg

I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon V1 (not massdrop version), if anyone is interested, welcome to take it

it is not in decent situation, I mean its channel is imbalanced, left channel always with sounds even I turn the volume to minimum, only turn the knob over 1 or 2 o'clock then you can not tell the difference between both channels
The way how I hear it balanced is to turn the knob of amp to maximum and control the volume by laptop or dac

however, the sound is still great, people said the sound signature is like tube, here is the review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon.20783/reviews

So if anyone wanna try to fix it or interest in how it sounds, or your friend just get into this world without any amp, please, it is free to take it

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #3,789 of 4,133
hi, guys in winnipeg

I have a Cavalli Liquid Carbon V1 (not massdrop version), if anyone is interested, welcome to take it

it is not in decent situation, I mean its channel is imbalanced, left channel always with sounds even I turn the volume to minimum, only turn the knob over 1 or 2 o'clock then you can not tell the difference between both channels
The way how I hear it balanced is to turn the knob of amp to maximum and control the volume by laptop or dac

however, the sound is still great, people said the sound signature is like tube, here is the review
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cavalli-audio-liquid-carbon.20783/reviews

So if anyone wanna try to fix it or interest in how it sounds, or your friend just get into this world without any amp, please, it is free to take it
You may also consider bringing it to a reputable repair shop. Don Voth in Winnipeg is a good option and I would also recommend Dan Santoni in Hamilton. He is very reasonably priced and will even pay for the return shipping. I have dealt with both and had very good experiences.

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #3,790 of 4,133
You may also consider bringing it to a reputable repair shop. Don Voth in Winnipeg is a good option and I would also recommend Dan Santoni in Hamilton. He is very reasonably priced and will even pay for the return shipping. I have dealt with both and had very good experiences.
Really!! wow thanks

It's really a good option, I will try it, appreciate it!!

Feb 7, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #3,792 of 4,133
Fingers crossed, that is a great amp! Would hate to see you give up on the amp before its time.
that's true.

I have contacted the company which take over the maintenance after cavalli closed, but I didnt get any reply

I also opened it and try to see anything wrong inside, but have no idea about IC board at all, so just composed it back

it is really glad to hear that maybe someone can fix it

Thanks again

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #3,793 of 4,133
@Velomane I am not 100% sure what brand since the eraser had been in my office forever. it was just squishy enough for me to test out and it seems to work well. I bet any of the softer Staedtler-type erasers might work. That said a quick Amazon search makes me think the eraser I used might be this one: eraser-link. A search for "black eraser" on Amazon gave a bunch of options. If you buy a few it would be great to hear if any one brand/type works better than others.
I'm a bit behind on this thread, but by any chance are you talking about a kneaded eraser? These are the erasers that you can knead into a dense putty that you roll over pencil marks as opposed to the firmer type that rub back and forth?

https://www.artistsemporium.net/product/00/044974140003/Kneaded-Eraser-General-Jumbo

Feb 10, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #3,794 of 4,133

Users who are viewing this thread

Back