Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jan 1, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #3,766 of 4,133
Early Feb could work for me, if I'm welcome. Should be past the work hump for me, and the 'rona should hopefully be on the downswing again.

I don't have any particular opinions on themes, but the one thing I'd hope to get from a meet is to be able compare my DIY gear (see signature) with equivalent-ish commercial gear...
Added idea to theme doc.

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,767 of 4,133
Times like this, I'd be willing to trade gear for a snowblower...
I'd consider trading my soul to be able to get proper Covid tests quickly today. Blarg.

Added idea to theme doc.
Super! Worst case scenario, I can just bring whatever DIY gear is appropriate for different themes; about the only one I'd have to shoehorn into is planars.

Jan 1, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,768 of 4,133
Added idea to theme doc.

I think all I have left from my DIY days is the T50rp transplanted into a Beyer COP. The bass sliders didn't have nearly the effect that I was hoping for, but it's still noticeable.

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #3,769 of 4,133
@Rubin and I have built some headphones using dbi705pro casings and Symphone v7 and V9 drivers. Stock are peaky in the 7K region and a little bass light. However after measuring their fr and creating convolution files for them, they sound outstanding. I would recommend any diy work going forward look to build with decent materials but tune using convolution. Your results will blow you away and make $200 builds sound phenomenal.

Jan 4, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #3,774 of 4,133
i've still got the modded pair you gave me. last time i asked though i dont think either of us could remember what the mods were :beyersmile:

I think that was just a regular modded T50rp, not a transplanted driver. But yeah, I don't remember what's in them anymore aside from the standard modding practices like new pads, damping materials in the cup, etc.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,775 of 4,133
With the way omicron has been ripping through town, if we're doing this meet next month I'd say we keep it masked up the whole time except when snacking in the kitchen where we keep the exhaust fan running. Maybe the bathroom fan running too.

I had a close contact with someone who tested positive last week. My gf and I just completed the three day rapid test kit (picked it up from the testing centre by the U of M) and we've come out negative, but I know a bunch of people who've been catching it so far.

Stay safe folks.

Jan 22, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #3,777 of 4,133
So I was at American Hi-Fi store today for a different reason. And I noticed the owner brought in a pair of Dan Clark Audio Stealth headphones.
It is a pair of closed headphones and it fits my head very nicely (unlikely the Aeon Flow Closed 2 that squeezed my head too much).
I found it to be the lowest distortion headphones I’ve ever heard and was absolutely fantastic. Although I have to admit, it’s hard to know whether one would like the sound signature because I find sometimes, I actually prefer some headphones with a little bit of distortions to make the sound more exciting or warmer.
But definitely it was a very different experience than other headphones I’ve heard. The store owner only has the Resonessence Herus hooked up to his laptop with Tidal for me to test. I have to admit I didn’t listen for long because I don’t want to get lured into a purchase I don’t need.

The store owner told me that if you guys are interested in listening to the headphones, you can drop by the store with your own gear to drive the headphones or just use his Herus. Just something to let people know as I know some of us are interested in listening to these newer TOTL headphones. Of course, the offer is only good until the headphones are gone.

Jan 23, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #3,778 of 4,133
Bleh, of all the brands to have a local dealer in, why does it have to be Mr Speakers/DCA? But some of you have already heard my rants about that...

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #3,779 of 4,133
I have been working on a few crown d-45 and d-75 amps with a fair amount of transformer hum. I have found that inserting pieces of those quishy, art school-type black erasers between the transformer and the case act as great isolators and diminish hum transferred to case significantly. Even using some silicone to attach transformer to eraser and same between eraser and case to ensure transformer is attached to case in at least a minimal way does very little if anything to the efficacy of this fix. Highly recommend if you are running into similar issues.

Jan 23, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #3,780 of 4,133
I havebeen workibg on a few crown d-45 and d-75 amps with a fair amount of transformer hum. I have found that inserting pieces of those quishy, art school-type black erasers between the transformer and the case act as great isolators and diminish hum transferred to case sognificantly. Even using some silicone to attach transformer to eraser and same between eraser amd case to ensure transformer is attached to case in at least a minimal way does very little if anything to the efficacy of this fix. Highly recommend if you are running into similar issues.

What's you mains voltage? At home, my mains voltage hovers between 120-125VAC, and that is enough to induce hum in some of my DIY gear. Voltage at work is a much more steady and reasonable 115VAC.

I'm tempted to put inrush thermistors on all my DIY amps/DACs, if only to have something that burns off a couple of volts to reduce the symptoms. I keep meaning to try a mains DC blocker as well, but haven't ever seen anything come up at a decent price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back