Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Aug 16, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #3,693 of 4,133
Sorry I couldn't make it guys. Had the Feliks system ready to go and my wife decided to celebrate my daughter's 33rd birthday one day early.. Sounds like you had a great meet. Hopefully next time.!
you should have suggested you celebrate by giving her the gift of a Stax/Audeze listening party. We had extra desserts...

Aug 16, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #3,694 of 4,133
OK Last post - Thanks everyone for coming! I am always blown away by the willingness for everyone to pull up their socks and lug 50, 60 even 70lbs of gear across the city to let others listen for a few hours. I would also like to say that the food that comes out at these little events are almost as good as the cans. Top notch all around.

Finally, @Rubin, @Armaegis and I were talking as they were loading up Armaegis' car and we wondered if we should implement a "theme" for our next meet to minimize the massive amounts of gear that comes out. Ideas around meets focusing on 'portable rigs' or maybe setting up listening stations with specific parameters (money, topologies,etc...) might be an interesting way to frame our next meet. Otherwise this might have to be the last meet we have. Cause I mean where do you go after listening to 009s on a T2 / Cavalli amp with ZMF / a limited edition LCD-R rig or Armaegis' rack-in-suitcase sound system!

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #3,695 of 4,133
Or maybe designate one big rig, one portable rig, a "new toy" showcase, etc.

Honestly, to me the gear is secondary to just hanging out with people. I think this was the first "group" thing I've even been to since the pandemic. Heck, I miss being able to cook for people!

Aug 17, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #3,697 of 4,133
Honestly, to me the gear is secondary to just hanging out with people. I think this was the first "group" thing I've even been to since the pandemic. Heck, I miss being able to cook for people!
This was the important part for me. Just getting out and meeting you guys. It was also my first time out since the pandemic, so my soul/brain needed it. Oh, and cooking for others is pretty satisfying, too.

Aug 17, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #3,698 of 4,133
Just want to echo thanks to @rifi for hosting. The meet was a blast. I'm still recovering that I was able to hear SR-009S on a T2! I was cautious not to listen too long so I don't end up smashing all my other cans with a hammer.

Was surprised by a few more down to earth headphones as well. The tuning and imaging on the LCD-1 were surprisingly good, and the Aeon Flows were far more dynamic that I expected based on reviews I have read. Probably the Hugo 2 has something to do with it.

@Armaegis modded HE-6 continues to prove its mettle by holding it's own against the more expensive LCD-4. Need to find a way to reproduce that performance on an HE-6SE which can be had for pretty good deals. The Bryston amp was a great combo with it, bringing out the impact, dynamics, and soundstage.

Aeolus still sounds good as I remember. A dreamy kind of sound that is especially great with female vocals.

@dbw1, rifi is correct that we have the FS edition with the AKM4493 chip, but there's also an FS with an AKM4490 and ESS9016 chip that are also both supposed to be about the same. The other unit with the most similar features is the Monoprice 24459, but I believe it'll be out of stock until they can update it with an ESS chip or come out with a new model. (AKM, one of the big DAC companies, had a fire and consequently everyone has to switch to ESS chips.) A simpler DAC/amp without the EQ and other complex features is the JDS Element II. It should be able to drive your Clears and most anything else you can throw at it.

Aug 17, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #3,699 of 4,133
Was surprised by a few more down to earth headphones as well. The tuning and imaging on the LCD-1 were surprisingly good

And in a total difference of opinion, the LCD-1 did absolutely nothing for me and I thought it was weirdly hollow sounding.

I do agree that the Bryston amp was a very good combo with the HE-6. If anyone gets themselves an HE-6se, I might have enough modding materials to replicate my mods on it... or bug Velomane to sell his since he's all-in with his stax now and I was the one that modded his.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #3,701 of 4,133
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #3,702 of 4,133
@dbw1
I recall you were leaning towards Ed's portable rig at the meet.

I just spotted a Chord Mojo and Hugo here: (I have no affiliation with either seller, just simply passing along things that may interest you)
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649769708-chord-mojo/
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649709568-chord-hugo-original/
Mine was a Hugo 2.
I think if @dbw1 is interested in Mojo, he can PM me so he listen to my Mojo first before buying a used one online.

Sep 2, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #3,704 of 4,133
Hello all, longtime user who has not been active for some time. I came to a few meetups back around 2010, if I remember correctly. Have lost touch with the hobby (and the passion) and am moving away for school now so needing to sell some gear. Hope it's ok to post this here, as I'd rather sell local.

I've got a pair of Denon AH-D5000s for sale, as well as a pair of HSU HB-1 MK2 Bookshelf speakers (with floorstands). If anyone is interested, do send me a pm or reply to either of the ads.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/denon-ah-d5000.10513/
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...orn-bookshelf-speakers-floor-stands-included/

Sep 2, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #3,705 of 4,133
Hello all, longtime user who has not been active for some time. I came to a few meetups back around 2010, if I remember correctly. Have lost touch with the hobby (and the passion) and am moving away for school now so needing to sell some gear. Hope it's ok to post this here, as I'd rather sell local.

I've got a pair of Denon AH-D5000s for sale, as well as a pair of HSU HB-1 MK2 Bookshelf speakers (with floorstands). If anyone is interested, do send me a pm or reply to either of the ads.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/denon-ah-d5000.10513/
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...orn-bookshelf-speakers-floor-stands-included/

Aw dude, that poor Denon cable makes me cry a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back