Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Feb 17, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #2,898 of 4,133
We had one request for a Utopia. @ecwl will you be coming? either that or does @AdamAtAdvance still have one to bring?

No MH40 from anybody here that I'm aware of. Had I known, I actually had a trade offer a few weeks ago but I passed on it.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #2,900 of 4,133
  We had one request for a Utopia. @ecwl will you be coming? either that or does @AdamAtAdvance still have one to bring?

No MH40 from anybody here that I'm aware of. Had I known, I actually had a trade offer a few weeks ago but I passed on it.

@Armaegis and @ecwl. I will bring a set of Utopia's. I have also planned to bring the Elear and Sony Z1R. Any other requests? I have HIFIMAN HE1000 v2 and EDITION X v2 and both the AudioQuest NightOwl and NightHawk Carbon if someone is interested. I also plan on bringing some Astell & Kern players that I goon loan from our supplier. The AK70 and AK300 really surprised me. They are very nice.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2,902 of 4,133
For those who can't make it tomorrow, I think American Hi-Fi now has a Chord DAVE at the store on demo. The owner liked what he heard when he brought my Chord DAVE in and after selling a few he decided to get one for himself for demo.

I will probably bring my Mojo too just because I always carry my Mojo.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2,903 of 4,133
I'm currently looking into a DAP, I think. I do probably 98% of my listening at home through my PC, but with cabin season coming up it's time to get portable. My phone (Galaxy S5) just doesn't cut it. Even going USB to the Peachtree shift it destroys the phone's battery in about an hour.

Perhaps the new LG G6 might be the answer...though the Samsung S8 is infinitely better phone wise. They haven't said anything about audio though...I hope there's a decent DAC in it. Gaaah decisions...

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #2,904 of 4,133
I'm currently looking into a DAP, I think. I do probably 98% of my listening at home through my PC, but with cabin season coming up it's time to get portable. My phone (Galaxy S5) just doesn't cut it. Even going USB to the Peachtree shift it destroys the phone's battery in about an hour.

Perhaps the new LG G6 might be the answer...though the Samsung S8 is infinitely better phone wise. They haven't said anything about audio though...I hope there's a decent DAC in it. Gaaah decisions...

Why don't you look toward something with an internal battery? The only ones I can think of right now are Chinese ones and basic PCM270X-based dacs but it might be worth a shot. (take note that all PCM270X DACs have a max of 16/48)

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,905 of 4,133
Or something from the Dragonfly family which has the lowest power draw of portable devices.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,907 of 4,133
Hmmm, yeah I'm torn. I don't really need pocketable. I've been using the shift + an old laptop, which is great for my ears music wise. I'm a metalhead you see. They don't do DSD (at least none of the bands I listen to do). I listen for the joy of music as opposed to being analytical about it. Me like smash! 
biggrin.gif

(Actually, most of the stuff I listen to these days is less smash and more progressive - with clean vocals)

I'm also toying with the idea of simply getting a new laptop, probably an ultrabook. Or a DAP. Or maybe this year's phones will be good enough (I plan to upgrade anyway). I'm curious about DAPs though and would love to have a listen to a couple tomorrow.

Feb 20, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #2,910 of 4,133
Photo dump! I'll try to note the more prominent toys in each photo

Chord Dave, Hifiman HE-1000v2, Audeze LCD4, giant mishmash of everything above

So much of everything

At the top: my big stack of Furman power conditioner, Bryston B60, Prism Callia dac

Table #2: in the middle the Sony Z1R and Focal Elear

in the middle: Focal Utopia,
several daps: Sony something, three(?) Astell & Kern

Schiit Ragnarok and Yggdrasil, and Fostex TH-X00 (Mahogany and Ebony; Purpleheart was hiding somewhere)

I ate way too many chips...

Nexolek, dude that came with Ika, and Ika

Viper2005 and Sennheisermiser

AdamAtAdvance and ecwl

Ri-Fi and Velomane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back