Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Feb 5, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,851 of 4,133
One guy here has a stax... shoot, I can't remember who brought it. It was one of the newer guys... was it @Leftbehind? I believe @ri-fi has an electret as well. Last year I had an SR007 but sold it.

I started off the planar craze with the HE-6, and @Velomane and @Viper2005 followed shortly after and got their own. Those guys have overtaken me now though. Velo leads the pack as he also has the Ether C Flow, HE-1000v2 and Oppo PM-2. Viper has an LCD-4.

Going electrostat requires full dedication to the amping requirements, so you have to keep that part in mind. I sat at the midway point using a Woo WEE and a regular power amp.

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,855 of 4,133
I can bring my Stax Lambda and HE400i if I still have them. Probably will.

I feel like my Dragonfly really didn't adequately capture what the HE400i is capable of. I'd be glad to try it out again!
  I'll be bringing my HE-1000v2's and a my Mr.Speakers Ether C Flows.

I don't entirely remember the HE-1000, and I've always wanted to try one of MrSpeaker's headphones.
Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Going electrostat requires full dedication to the amping requirements, so you have to keep that part in mind. I sat at the midway point using a Woo WEE and a regular power amp.

I'm aware of the full dedication required for an electrostat, but if I remember correctly entry level sets like the 2170 and 3100 are around 1K for the headphones and the amp. Also, if I remember correctly I've seen some Lambdas go up on here for around 500~ish. Might be worth looking into later on.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2,858 of 4,133
  If anyone is selling a DAP let me know, looking for something in range of a DX90 or above. 

I don't think I've seen your name before... Are you a Winnipegger?

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,859 of 4,133

I don't think I've seen your name before... Are you a Winnipegger?

I am, I've just mainly used these forums for lurking though. My set up is nothing crazy, Older set of Denon 2000's new set of Massdrop th-x00, Westone 3's that are being sent in for reshelling to ciem. A few random other sets of headphones and IEMs. Only real amp\dac I have these days is my Xonar Essence STX in the pc, everything is else is through an HTC M9. 

Currently crying over the fact we cannot get the HTC 10 here really, or the LG V20 so I figure I might as well spend some cash on a DAP. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,860 of 4,133

I am, I've just mainly used these forums for lurking though. My set up is nothing crazy, Older set of Denon 2000's new set of Massdrop th-x00, Westone 3's that are being sent in for reshelling to ciem. A few random other sets of headphones and IEMs. Only real amp\dac I have these days is my Xonar Essence STX in the pc, everything is else is through an HTC M9. 

Currently crying over the fact we cannot get the HTC 10 here really, or the LG V20 so I figure I might as well spend some cash on a DAP. 

You gonna try and make it out to our meet in a couple weeks?

@DigitalFreak was our DAP guy for a while, but I don't know if he's still around these days. I'm honestly a bit disillusioned over the dap market. I've had a bunch of loaners come through and they were all very underwhelming for the price. The only one that I liked for sonics was the Questyle QP1R, but you're into 4 digits and they can't even get the wheel to work. I think the better bet these days is to just repurpose an old smartphone and use a dongle usb dac (probably a Dragonfly for low power consumption)

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2,861 of 4,133

@DigitalFreak was our DAP guy for a while, but I don't know if he's still around these days. I'm honestly a bit disillusioned over the dap market. I've had a bunch of loaners come through and they were all very underwhelming for the price. The only one that I liked for sonics was the Questyle QP1R, but you're into 4 digits and they can't even get the wheel to work. I think the better bet these days is to just repurpose an old smartphone and use a dongle usb dac (probably a Dragonfly for low power consumption)

I'm considering ordering a walnut player later this month (30 CAD without a memory card, 35 with 8GB). If anyone else looking for chinese DAPs, I can order them from Taobao for you.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #2,862 of 4,133

I wasn't planning on making it out because I've got some low will power when it comes to nice toys especially recently, but I might just because why not. 

Obviously I take most things I read with a big grain of salt unless I have reason not to, but I was under the impression the midrange well under $1000 DAP's were still a huge deal better than any used smartphone is going be but I have not demo'd a ton of them. The only real DAP I have demod is the hifiman super mini and I didn't even do it back to back vs my HTC M9 but I think it had sounded quite a better. You've now made me decide I have a ton more googling to do. 

All I'm going to be running off the DAC is a pair of westone 3's reshelled, or something else similar if for some reason those die. No full sized headphones. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #2,863 of 4,133
Just come to hang out and meet new people.

That's why I said get a Dragonfly or other similar dongle dac/amp. The phone then only acts as a transport while offloading all the audio work to the external device.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #2,864 of 4,133

Welcome to the club! I've been reading Head-Fi for years but only decided to do some talking about a month ago. I can be your conscience at the meet if you need. I need help with that too. We can help each other hahha :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back