Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,461 of 4,133

I've heard the HE-X and didn't feel it was worth the cost. I'd sooner grab another HE-6 than get the HE-X or 1000.

The Ether is... well, let's just say there are many things that I can tell you in person that I can't say on headfi about a sponsor.

LCD-3 was not an improvement over the LCD-2. I haven't heard the 4, but at those rocketing prices... Heck, I'd grab an Oppo PM-2 or 3 before another Audeze. I might consider a Sine though, out of curiosity.

Ooh active monitors are a whole 'nuther ballgame. What's your room size and intended placement? How big are you willing to go?

Yup - you gave me the HE-X and while i felt they were better than my then Anax modded HD800, it wasnt by much and it wasnt as comfortable...loss of soundstage kind of sucked too

Your HE-6 sounded great, but i had the HE-400 a few years ago and theyre a bit heavy/cumbersome...maybe a HE-560 suspension mod would be in order..but kinda scary

I wonder if Hifiman is releasing a new headphone, maybe drive the HE-1000 used prices further down..they just look so ugly imo

As for monitors, I've had ADAM F5s that i got for less than $400 for a pair...then returned it....what a dumb move.  Right now i have these Kanto YU5 monitors, and theyre not that good - maybe sell then and look at something like Emotiva or even ADAM again.  It'll be in the basement, one wing of it - room size is about 12x30 where my desk is on the narrow side and the other end opens up to the living room

Itll be near field - and no treatment hehe

Jul 22, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #2,462 of 4,133
Oh right, I forgot I gave them to you as next on the tour. I thought they were somewhat comfier than my HE-6 due to the headband and lighter weight, except the cups were too long and pressed on the edge of my jaw.

People have attempted to transplant the HE-6 onto the 560 headband before, but the mounting holes are a different size so that would require drilling out the HE-6 cup which would not be an easy task. The simpler method (maybe??) would be to transplant the driver entirely into a different frame, though I'm not sure if anyone has done so.

Many people simply create a suspension headband for the HE-6 though. The ghetto version is some cardboard and elastic bands, but a bit of stitching and spare materials can make some decent ones. Myself I made them from an old leather belt and hair elastics. This guy was selling premade ones for a while though I don't know if he still does:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729774/suspension-strap-for-audeze-hifiman-mad-dog-alpha-dog-paradox-fostex-t50-rp-modders

You've actually got a fairly large room. Is this going to be a desk/nearfield situation or will you be sitting further back like watching movies or something?
Do you want focused sound or room filling?
Do you have space for speaker stands? How close to the wall will you place them?
How big can you go?
Willing to add a sub?

Hmm a speaker that you've maybe never heard of would be the Vanatoo. Very very good reviews and they employ DSP tricks to fill out the room.
I've heard good things about the Emotiva powered monitors.
Not powered, but Veloman has the KEF LS50's which are awesome speakers.
Bryston has a powered speaker coming out soon too.
Certain large single box speakers might be worth a look too, depending on application.

Jul 24, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,466 of 4,133
Currently looking at the 7th if that works for you?
  I'd like to attend one of these to observe.  

I'll probably sent out some PM's after this weekend.

Jul 25, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #2,467 of 4,133
7th would be alright for me, let me know what you want me to bring (not everything!)
Also my 4's have to be sent back, the left driver is gone...

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,468 of 4,133
  7th would be alright for me, let me know what you want me to bring (not everything!)
Also my 4's have to be sent back, the left driver is gone...

Your 4?? you mean LCD-4?

Jul 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #2,470 of 4,133
Hey Velomane or Viper, one of you might be interested in this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/813636/hifiman-he-5
Super duper rare, and the Code-X's never come up on the used market anymore.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #2,471 of 4,133
Hey guys, one of my students is just starting to dip his toe into the headphone game and is looking for some budget/midfi gear. Does anyone have anything to sell? He's thinking something along the lines of a Senn HD598 and Magni2. He's just a high school kid so doesn't have tons of money, but is open to suggestions or deals. It'd be primarily for computer use and gaming/FPS, and a decent pcie soundcard might be the way to go actually. @dscythe I'm looking at you, maybe you've got some spare parts lying around?

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,472 of 4,133
  Hey guys, one of my students is just starting to dip his toe into the headphone game and is looking for some budget/midfi gear. Does anyone have anything to sell? He's thinking something along the lines of a Senn HD598 and Magni2. He's just a high school kid so doesn't have tons of money, but is open to suggestions or deals. It'd be primarily for computer use and gaming/FPS, and a decent pcie soundcard might be the way to go actually. @dscythe I'm looking at you, maybe you've got some spare parts lying around?

I don't think I have any soundcards kicking around, I'll check when I get home though.

Wow, I was going to suggest a little Fiio DAC as a starter but they seem have shot way up in price.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #2,473 of 4,133
I have a couple Audigy cards kicking around at home, he can have one if he wants it.

I also have been thinking of selling my modi/magni stack.

The HD650 I have for sale are probably out of range, though.

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #2,474 of 4,133
I may be able to go on Sunday the 7th for a bit

Gear list
HD800 (Super Dupont + Anax 2.0)
Mahogany TH-X00 (recabled)
Bottlehead Crack + Speedball
Audio-GD NBF 15.32

Someone swap me their HE-6 + amp for my HD800 + bottlehead for a week or 2 hehe

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #2,475 of 4,133
  I don't think I have any soundcards kicking around, I'll check when I get home though.

Wow, I was going to suggest a little Fiio DAC as a starter but they seem have shot way up in price.

Given his budget, I was thinking a little combo dac/amp would work too, but I think given for strict computer use the pcie card would be better (and then won't conflict with usb if heavy gaming is going on).

I have a couple Audigy cards kicking around at home, he can have one if he wants it.

I also have been thinking of selling my modi/magni stack.

The HD650 I have for sale are probably out of range, though.

Does the Audigy card have a headamp built in?

Shoot me a pm with what you've got and I'll pass the info onto him.

I may be able to go on Sunday the 7th for a bit

Gear list
HD800 (Super Dupont + Anax 2.0)
Mahogany TH-X00 (recabled)
Bottlehead Crack + Speedball
Audio-GD NBF 15.32

Someone swap me their HE-6 + amp for my HD800 + bottlehead for a week or 2 hehe

If no one else does, I can swap with you for a couple weeks (but I'm probably the furthest away from you, geographically).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back