Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jun 6, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,446 of 4,133
Hi everyone, I am relatively new to Winnipeg and have been following this thread for two or three months now to get a sense of the headphone community here. I just wanted to mention that I noticed the vintage shop on Main st. just south of Bannatyne had a box full of tubes in case any one was interested.

Here is a picture I snapped of them for reference: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bg3y7dm87xb3hib/20160531_144954.jpg?dl=0

I have not jumped into tube audio...yet but thought some one out there might want to know about these. Cheers.

Jun 7, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,447 of 4,133
Hey @ri-fi, welcome to our little club! Thanks for the heads up on those tubes; if you ever get a chance to take a better pic, that'd be great. I'm frequently in the area, but never during times when they're open (maybe @q2klepto should take a look on his lunchbreak or something). Keep an eye out for anything that starts with "12a" or "ecc" or 6080 or 300. It's not that those are necessarily expensive tubes, but that they are more commonly found in audio gear. I don't recognize any of those visible markings off the top of my head...

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #2,448 of 4,133
Oh cool thanks @ri-fi - i just got the Crack so im not too familiar with tube rolling..i might have to check that place out and maybe run into a 6080, i think theyre highly regarded in the Crack world

Jul 12, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2,450 of 4,133
Hi Winnipegers, 

Greetings from Edmonton.   On CAM awhile back I saw a classified from a Winnipeg based cable maker.  I can't remember the name of his company, and now I can't find the classified, nor find the website.   Can anyone help me out here?   I wanted to buy a LCD cable from him.  

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #2,452 of 4,133
  https://www.hivemindcables.com/

Great, thanks!   My fiance is from Winnipeg and I have been there once.   I really enjoyed my time there; it's alot like Edmonton, except better in all the ways that Edmonton is good.  It's also just  a totally underrated city.    And if I can support their local economy this way, that's even better!

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,453 of 4,133

Great, thanks!   My fiance is from Winnipeg and I have been there once.   I really enjoyed my time there; it's alot like Edmonton, except better in all the ways that Edmonton is good.  It's also just  a totally underrated city.    And if I can support their local economy this way, that's even better!

Yup thats me! I'm actually planning on making one of my premium cables for Velomane for next week!

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #2,455 of 4,133
Saw this on kijiji that's a decent deal for anyone looking for a portable:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-headphones/winnipeg/mint-nad-hp50-headphones/1182641746
I used to have one. Very very good sound, possibly one of the best in the (semi)portables realm for the price; the only reason I sold it was because the shape didn't fit my head very well.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #2,456 of 4,133
I am selling those NAD's. they are great, but I recently picked up a new pair of cans and I can't justify owning more than a few closed headphones. I would be happy to let anyone demo them. I would also be interested in any open-can trades, except for the HD598s. I have already owned a pair and thought they were ok, but not something I would consider getting again.

Also, is there any interest in a meet this summer? I am away shortly at the beginning of August, but otherwise I am pretty free. Any one else? Here is some of the gear I could bring:

Mad Dogs 3.2
M100s
NAD hp50s
DIY Audio-Technica M40s
Denon AH A-100

JDS Labs O2/o-dac\
Raspberry PI2 with Pidac+
Cymoy headphone amp (Biosciencgeek version)

cheers

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,457 of 4,133
I can host if anyone else expresses interest. Maybe say something tentative like Aug 19th? (just throwing it out randomly as a suggestion)

Hey the Denon A-100 is a bit of a rarity these days.

Haha funny that the only open backed can I have for trade is the 598
rolleyes.gif
though I've got the SE version coming in too for the heck of it.

Jul 21, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,458 of 4,133
I've been thinking of selling my HD800 w/ Super Dupont and Crack for an HE-1000 or maybe even an Ether....not sure though

LCD4 kinda looks cool and i like the suspension but its probably still heavy

Someone demo them!

That or just go fully active monitor 

Jul 21, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #2,460 of 4,133
  I've been thinking of selling my HD800 w/ Super Dupont and Crack for an HE-1000 or maybe even an Ether....not sure though

LCD4 kinda looks cool and i like the suspension but its probably still heavy

Someone demo them!

That or just go fully active monitor 

I've heard the HE-X and didn't feel it was worth the cost. I'd sooner grab another HE-6 than get the HE-X or 1000.

The Ether is... well, let's just say there are many things that I can tell you in person that I can't say on headfi about a sponsor.

LCD-3 was not an improvement over the LCD-2. I haven't heard the 4, but at those rocketing prices... Heck, I'd grab an Oppo PM-2 or 3 before another Audeze. I might consider a Sine though, out of curiosity.

Ooh active monitors are a whole 'nuther ballgame. What's your room size and intended placement? How big are you willing to go?

I'd love to attend. I'm off work from the 4th to the 9th of August, so those are my preferred days. I might even be able to bring some pulled pork.

I'm busy the evenings of the 5th and 6th, but otherwise my schedule is fairly open that week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back