Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Apr 11, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #2,072 of 4,133
Whoa... a NAD C390DD... mighty tempting except for the lack of money thing:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/winnipeg/nad-c-390dd-amplifier/1063409273?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Apr 14, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #2,074 of 4,133
These might have already been posted if they have, mesorry. 

Denon 2000's $245. Not mine. 

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-headphones/winnipeg/denon-ah-d2000-headphones-discontinued-classics/1060335775?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2,075 of 4,133
Man, I just checked the wpg kajiji headphone for sale thread. Just look at all those adds selling Beats headphones. This city is so full of flavour of the week people 
blink.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2,076 of 4,133
And I'll bet you at least half of them are cheap knockoffs that people bought from China in order to rip people off.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #2,077 of 4,133
  And I'll bet you at least half of them are cheap knockoffs that people bought from China in order to rip people off.

yep, I was thinking the same too

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,080 of 4,133
Hey q2klepto, what will you be asking for them? Might you (or anyone ..."Nathan") have any experience of how the MSR7s would compare (fit and sound) to the old ATH A-700s that I used to have? I currently use my Denon 2000s as my main set, and would like a comparable, but alternate sound sig in the stable. Thanks.

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #2,081 of 4,133
  Hey q2klepto, what will you be asking for them? Might you (or anyone ..."Nathan") have any experience of how the MSR7s would compare (fit and sound) to the old ATH A-700s that I used to have? I currently use my Denon 2000s as my main set, and would like a comparable, but alternate sound sig in the stable. Thanks.

I havent listened to the A700s, its actually my first pair of Audio Technicas.  I actually really like them, but I think im gonna consolidate my headphones and see if i can hit summit-fi with the HD800s lol

They are warm, a bit u-shaped so detail comes through a bit better than something like the PM3s, and sounds a bit airier cuz of it. Bass is present, but not overpowering - certainly less powerful than the PM3s.  They actually made Tyll's wall of fame a month or so ago. 

I put them up on classified for $260USD, only cause i ordered an extra pair of HM5 replacement pads and a hard carrying case and i expect some negotiation. I dont think anyone in Canada is selling them outright, so theyd save on shipping/duty. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #2,082 of 4,133

Whoa there's a face I haven't seen in a while. I haven't heard the MSR7's, but even from general impressions I've read, they should be rather different sound signatures. The old Audio Technica winged series have very different sounds from anything else.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #2,083 of 4,133
Hey Nathan (and q2klepto), I've been lurking for the last year or so. I read every post, but feel a bit out gunned by the talk of all the HD-800s, HE-6s, Bifrosts etc, with my measly Denons and ALOs. The kids are at an age that funds and attending the meets have been difficult. I hope I can make one of the next upcoming when they're scheduled though, it has been a long time since I've seen you guys. One question I have been wanting to ask is, I just got my first smartphone (I know, welcome to the 2000s) and was wondering if most folks wanting to connect an Apple Lightening to Audophile gear are having to use the grossly awkward, and expensive Apple Lightening to 30 pin, then a 30 pin to 3.5 stereo to access the analog out to input into an amp? Or are there any DYI options? Back to lurking.....

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,084 of 4,133
Hey Nathan (and q2klepto), I've been lurking for the last year or so. I read every post, but feel a bit out gunned by the talk of all the HD-800s, HE-6s, Bifrosts etc, with my measly Denons and ALOs. The kids are at an age that funds and attending the meets have been difficult. I hope I can make one of the next upcoming when they're scheduled though, it has been a long time since I've seen you guys. One question I have been wanting to ask is, I just got my first smartphone (I know, welcome to the 2000s) and was wondering if most folks wanting to connect an Apple Lightening to Audophile gear are having to use the grossly awkward, and expensive Apple Lightening to 30 pin, then a 30 pin to 3.5 stereo to access the analog out to input into an amp? Or are there any DYI options? Back to lurking.....

My solution to using Apple devices with my rig:

IPhone/iPad -> AirPlay to Apple Airport Express -> Optical cable -> DAC -> Amp

Works great and you don't have to tether your iPhone/iPad to the listening station or use awkward adapters.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,085 of 4,133
The simpler route might be to get a combined dac/amp unit that is compatible with apple products. Send a message to DigitalFreak, he's the man with all the crazy portable gear.

Otherwise, if it's just for home use then a networking option is probably the best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back