Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jun 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,726 of 4,134
Let's do one in October after Bear gets his SR-009.  I'll bring the burgers.  
smile.gif

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,727 of 4,134
That reminds me I need to see what the status is on the order. Got the WEE it sounds pretty good with the taboo driving it. Might not be the power it needs but still pretty good. We'll see what you guys think.

Anyone interested in HE 500 with jergulor pads or HD650s? I might also just load a tub with a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, too. Seeing as how someone mentioned wanting to get a cheap entry level portable. Truck loading is easy now that I have a cart.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #1,728 of 4,134
Pfft, I kinda want the Senns but I need to sell some of my stuff first
rolleyes.gif

(I want a better balanced dac too... but I'm getting ahead of myself)

Jun 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,729 of 4,134
Ugh, I noticed some signs this afternoon saying Chancellor will be closed next weekend (which is one of the main entrances into the University). If so, then coming in from the north side is the best route: Take Pembina Hwy southbound then curving onto University Crescent just after Bishop.

Or just look at a map... or call me. Whichever works.

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,730 of 4,134
Anyone have a cheap headset they want to get rid of? Something for my parents to occasionally skype with.

Jun 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,733 of 4,134
Currently in my freezer are some homemade burger patties, a few smokies, a bunch of hot dog buns (no burger buns though). I've got piles of soft drinks somewhere too. Bring whatever you feel like.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,734 of 4,134
If there will be any meeting I would come for sure. I'm going to buy studio cans and I would like to hear some and talk with people about them if it is possible.

Jun 11, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #1,735 of 4,134
Sure. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself? What sort of gear do you currently have?

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #1,736 of 4,134
Well, to be honest right now I don't have too much gear.
Some time ago I was producing psytrance in home enviroment and in a small studio. I was using Alesis M1 Active as my main monitor but no headphones at all. I was never a big fan of headphones so I've never had any good ones. The best I've had were Sennheisers HD280, but I sold them fast after some listening (quite bad sounding in my personal opinion). Now I've had 3 years of absence from recording and I would like to come back to it. Right now I am looking for a good sounding but affordable cans for home studio and outdoor use.

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,737 of 4,134
  Well, to be honest right now I don't have too much gear.
Some time ago I was producing psytrance in home enviroment and in a small studio. I was using Alesis M1 Active as my main monitor but no headphones at all. I was never a big fan of headphones so I've never had any good ones. The best I've had were Sennheisers HD280, but I sold them fast after some listening (quite bad sounding in my personal opinion). Now I've had 3 years of absence from recording and I would like to come back to it. Right now I am looking for a good sounding but affordable cans for home studio and outdoor use.

The Shure SRH 840 might be just what you are looking for!

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #1,738 of 4,134
I was looking at ATH-M50X recently. I like them, have a lot of power and punch, and they're clean overall, but I am not sure about their highs. I am a "crystal-clear" lover and I feel the lack of high's here. And the lows are a little bit too charged.
I was also listening to Grado SR80i, but of course because their open, they would be inappropriate for outdoor use. Their sound is almost perfect for me, almost because the lows are quite calm. Maybe after burning them a little the lows will be more juicy, and then they will be perfect.
Concerning Shure, well, I was never a fan of this brand, but I will check them. But my budget is around $150. Aren't these Shure's more expensive?

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,739 of 4,134
The 840 was the first headphone that I really liked, except for the stupidly heavy headband. The Canadian prices are >$200 though. US sale prices bring it down to $120-ish. Sonically I preferred the 840 over the M50, but couldn't get over the comfort issue.

One of my first big reviews on head-fi... www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762

The Grado SR80 was my very first introduction to head-fi. I thought it was great at first... until I started listening to more options. I'm really not a fan of Grados these days (though I have a somewhat macabre desire to keep trying them). I've owned or heard 60/80/MS1/125/225/325/HF1/HF2, and have modded more than a fair share of them as well.

If you're looking for something with a bit of that Grado top end but in a closed form... the Sony V6/7506 might be up your alley and it's in your budget (also in stock at L&M).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back