Winnipeg meets' thread (Ongoing)
Jan 28, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,561 of 4,133
My Yulong A28 amp came in today!  Woop! Woop!

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #1,562 of 4,133
Nice. Looks like you've got quite the Yulong family going there.

Here's my HE-6 monoblocks
cool.gif

Wadia 121--> NuForce HA-200 (x2) --> HE-6

I made the interconnects (Furutech) and adapters myself (2x3 into 6-strand half round braid).

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,563 of 4,133
  Nice. Looks like you've got quite the Yulong family going there.

Here's my HE-6 monoblocks
cool.gif

Wadia 121--> NuForce HA-200 (x2) --> HE-6

I made the interconnects (Furutech) and adapters myself (2x3 into 6-strand half round braid).

That looks mighty impressive!
I envy you that you can make your own cables!  :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #1,564 of 4,133
It's not too difficult to make cables, but it's rather labour intensive depending what you do. A quick interconnect with premade three conductor wire? Maybe a twenty minutes. Those Furutech XLRs took me a couple hours, because the Neutrik barrels were actually too skinny for the cable. So instead of trying to shave down the sleeving, I very carefully bored out the barrels by hand until the cable could be squeezed in, serving as a self-crimp. After that, the soldering was pretty straight forward and I added heat shrink for identification.

A fellow Winnipegger commissioned me to make an 8-strand braided solid core balanced cable for his LCD2... and that took me somewhere around 10 hours to make, with most of the time being spent on braiding. Certain braids are quick/easy to do, but I have my own arrangement that require a certain setup to keep track of the proper crossing of wires...

A view of my braiding "jig", keeping 8 wires held down with clamps for weight. The wires are actually arranged in opposing pairs, with two pairs crossing clockwise and two pairs going counterclockwise. In this case it was a power cable, so I kept the ground lines at perpendicular angles to each other (one each paired with live and neutral), and the other two pairs being live/neutral and neutral/live again crossing perpendicular to each other. Just going for maximum symmetry where possible. Each strand was 16 gauge, individually sleeved in paracord. Then all slapped on to some very expensive Furutech power connectors...

above: 8 strand crazy braid twisting pattern, 16 gauge wire each
below: 6 strand straight pattern, 18 gauge wire each

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #1,565 of 4,133
  It's not too difficult to make cables, but it's rather labour intensive depending what you do. A quick interconnect with premade three conductor wire? Maybe a twenty minutes. Those Furutech XLRs took me a couple hours, because the Neutrik barrels were actually too skinny for the cable. So instead of trying to shave down the sleeving, I very carefully bored out the barrels by hand until the cable could be squeezed in, serving as a self-crimp. After that, the soldering was pretty straight forward and I added heat shrink for identification.

A fellow Winnipegger commissioned me to make an 8-strand braided solid core balanced cable for his LCD2... and that took me somewhere around 10 hours to make, with most of the time being spent on braiding. Certain braids are quick/easy to do, but I have my own arrangement that require a certain setup to keep track of the proper crossing of wires...

A view of my braiding "jig", keeping 8 wires held down with clamps for weight. The wires are actually arranged in opposing pairs, with two pairs crossing clockwise and two pairs going counterclockwise. In this case it was a power cable, so I kept the ground lines at perpendicular angles to each other (one each paired with live and neutral), and the other two pairs being live/neutral and neutral/live again crossing perpendicular to each other. Just going for maximum symmetry where possible. Each strand was 16 gauge, individually sleeved in paracord. Then all slapped on to some very expensive Furutech power connectors...

above: 8 strand crazy braid twisting pattern, 16 gauge wire each
below: 6 strand straight pattern, 18 gauge wire each

That braided power cable looks amazing!  The brainwork looks so tight and well done.

Do you still do custom commission work?  I might have you do a quick surgery on my stock HD800 cable..  (snip and add XLR ends)

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,567 of 4,133
Deal alert: px-100 (the current model with the suffix containing a 1 and a couple of "i"s, for whatever German reason) is currently 40 bucks with free shipping at ncix. I'm getting one.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #1,570 of 4,133
Well today was interesting. Met up with Viper and we spent some time A/B'ing gear (and even more time chasing down some random interference that eventually disappeared on its own).

Most of the play time was spent with...
headphones: HD800 vs HE-6
amps: Nuforce HA-200 monoblocks, Violectric V200
DACs: Echo2, Wadia 121, Yulong DA8

The monoblocks shared a surprising similarity with the V200, though to my ears edging ahead in separation (and more power obviously).

I didn't get to play too much with the DA8 specifically, but I like it's functionality and I think it pairs better with my monoblocks than the Wadia.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,571 of 4,133
  Well today was interesting. Met up with Viper and we spent some time A/B'ing gear (and even more time chasing down some random interference that eventually disappeared on its own).

Most of the play time was spent with...
headphones: HD800 vs HE-6
amps: Nuforce HA-200 monoblocks, Violectric V200
DACs: Echo2, Wadia 121, Yulong DA8

The monoblocks shared a surprising similarity with the V200, though to my ears edging ahead in separation (and more power obviously).

I didn't get to play too much with the DA8 specifically, but I like it's functionality and I think it pairs better with my monoblocks than the Wadia.

It was very nice meeting you Armaegis and I enjoyed the opportunity to listen to your gear.  The mono blocks really outdid the v200 and I was quite surprised by their performance as well, especially in light of their price!  They really mesh well the DA8.
Thank you also for the great job you did re-terminating my HD800 cable!

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #1,573 of 4,133
Oh nice! We gotta find some time to get together and have a listening session with all our new toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back