Winamp - Good 48k Resampler?
Dec 5, 2007 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
I am hoping that Software resampling to 48k in Winamp will bypass the hardware resampler in the Audigy 2 ZS, but I'm having a hard time finding one.

Is there a good 48k resampler plugin for Winamp?

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 13
better to say adios to the Audigy.......that is your basic problem.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Can you actually tell the difference between 44.1k and the resampled 48k consistently in blind tests? I find that most people hype this up so much that it forces beginners to spend needless amounts of money for "bit-perfect". When I first started I made a huge deal about it too thinking I could hear the difference between 96k and 44.1k (with a 44.1k source). But nowadays, with a much clearer head I can honestly say I can't do it. I'll listen to 44.1k for a few days or weeks and then switch to upsampled 96k for roughly the same period and theres no real difference. Therefore, I attribute my initially hearing a difference to the placebo brought about by the huge hype on the matter. Maybe if you had 96k source material, downsampling would be more obvious, but upsampling is hype. Stick with what you got. My friend spent over $100 getting a M-Audio 2496 just so he could get bit-perfect SPDIF out (since his motherboard SPDIF out resamples to 48k) and upon testing he found it made no real difference and returned the card.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 13
I am also interested in this. In theory, the differences should lie in the quality of the re-sampling. I've read a lot of posts where people have not been pleased with the digital out signals of their sound cards because of the resampling from 44.1K to 48K.

I haven't done enough listening tests, but I am facing this same issue. I recently bought a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (TBAAM) which appears to resample everything to 48K, even when using the digital out. I then connect the TBAAM to my external DAC (Cambridge Audio 840C, which upsamples to 24-bit/384khz) using a Toslink cable. I would prefer to have a bit-perfect digital signal from my computer and let the 840C do all the DSP, upsampling, and D-A conversion.

But as alleyezon_d mentioned, I'm not sure how much difference this makes in reality. I'm going to do more listening tests with different software music players to see if they make a difference, before ditching the TBAAM for something bitperfect.

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 13
ounkchicago, I think the only real way is to get something bit-perfect and figure it out yourself. This is a topic that is very hard to take people's word on because as long as you don't try it you will always feel like you're missing out on something. I used the best upsamplers possible, SRC, SSRC with foobar (I've always read that the best software upsamplers are better than the best hardware upsamplers). In my view now, I can only see the benefit of 96k+ if the source was created that way. Granted I don't have any of those high quality recordings to test it out, but the whole upsampling benefit for me is shot.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 13
Hmm that is a good point... I haven't seen if I can tell the difference. I thought if I got a good 48k/96k resampler for winamp I'd be able to do a blind test and see. So there isn't a good resampler plugin for winamp?

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 13
Well back to the initial topic. Even if you resample with a plugin, your card will resample it again. Even if its 48k to 48k. It just resamples everything to 48k, it doesn't pick and choose.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by alleyezon_d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well back to the initial topic. Even if you resample with a plugin, your card will resample it again. Even if its 48k to 48k. It just resamples everything to 48k, it doesn't pick and choose.

Oh no...the Audigy cards don't resample 48k to 48k..Creative isn't stupid.I know because I have done intensive RMAA measurements with/without Creatives sound modifying tools like the equalizer,bass boost.Each application is intelligent and knows the bandwidth of the input waveform.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the correction Gore! I should have stated that my assumption came from working with realtek SPDIF outs that resampled. Sorry for any confusion caused!!

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I am having a hard time FINDING A plugin that resamples to 48k or even 96k in Winamp... Does such a thing exist?

They do, but they're no longer being updated or supported, and the authors' websites are mostly down. What's wrong with Foobar?
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They do, but they're no longer being updated or supported, and the authors' websites are mostly down. What's wrong with Foobar?
wink.gif

Aaaw do I HAVE to use foobar?

I like Winamp so much... Foobar is icky.
wink.gif

I did manage to find a 48k resampler. Not sure about the qaulity but I think it does sound better using it. It's called XEQ and also includes an Equalizer and a couple of other things. It really does improve the sound.

Winamp Plug-in Details - Customize Winamp Media Player

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 13
haha fraseyboy, I was the exact same way about 2 months ago. I had been using winamp 2.75 for the past 4 years or more (since it came out) and I would refuse to upgrade even. Then along came my foray into a good stereo setup around my computer and I caved to foobar because it was just so much easier to get things setup in an "audiophile" way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back