Will there still be an "audiophile headphones" in the future?
Feb 6, 2010 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
If a normal pair of free apple earbuds in the future sounds a lot better than the sennheiser HD 800 with the best amplifier in the world, will there be any point in making an "audiophile headphones" products in the future?

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 34
What? Oh, ok, I think I understand. Well, all headphones will be audiophile headphones at that point, and we'll all enjoy our perfect utopian sound.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If a normal pair of free apple earbuds in the future sounds a lot better than the sennheiser HD 800 with the best amplifier in the world, will there be any point in making an "audiophile headphones" products in the future?

There would be no point in audiophile headphones if we're all watching flying pigs and ice-skating in hell.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 34
there wont be audiophile headphones because the world economy will collapse, apple will go broke and no one will be able to buy the remaining stock
beerchug.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 34
If ibuds would sound the same as audiophile quality cans it could mean two things. Audiophile quality cans have become utter crap or the blesphemers that make crappy stuff finaly got some sense in their skulls.
I hope for the latter.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 34
I predict that we will one day be able to transmit perfect sound waves straight to our minds. Thus, the source will be the wave transmitter, and the headphone the receiving unit inside our brains. Other items like DACs and amps will be things of the past.

However, I imagine that the surgery to accomplish this will be 1. pricey, and 2. painful.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I predict that we will one day be able to transmit perfect sound waves straight to our minds. Thus, the source will be the wave transmitter, and the headphone the receiving unit inside our brains. Other items like DACs and amps will be things of the past.

However, I imagine that the surgery to accomplish this will be 1. pricey, and 2. painful.

Nice idea, though here will still be the problem of soundstaging.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

But this technology would eliminate the cost of interconnects.
Also gives another, more literal, meaning to the word headstage
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Not to mention all the folks trying to dampen and mod their skulls!

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 34
In all seriousness, no. The reason is, companies depend on making different models with different degrees of ability at different price levels. I'm sure Ultimate Ears could sell the TF10 for $100, but it would kill off the sales of their lower models, which they depend on most for profit.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 34
Oh crap. What material will I have to use to burn in my cybernetic implants? How long should I burn them in for?

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 34
Upgrading would be hell...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back