will the fiio e7 work as a usb sound card?
Aug 12, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 5
Of course it will. It is an USB soundcard for all its intended purposes.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 5
It's essentially a USB sound card; that terminology is what is used by people who have more of a background with computers much more than with traditional audiophile gear, but not in the same sense as, say, an SB Extigy or similar products. The E7 only outputs stereo, so if you just need 2ch audio for a speaker or headphone amp, it works; but if what you need in any way needs more than 2channels, you're out of luck - It doesn't have SPDIF output to an HT receiver or 5ch analog output for active 5.1 speakers.

Just in case your motherboard has built-in soundcard with SPDIF output, you can explore other options. Like an entry level HT receiver and passive 5.0 speakers and a subwoofer, or even an entry-level 5ch-simulated soundbar+sub with SPDIF input.

Aug 12, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 5
ok thanks
I only need stereo, it's more of a on the road system.

anyway I can't get my onbord sound to work, I think it's dead lol, driver installs and works but no sound. same for both Linux and windows :mad: (spare parts system)that's onbord for you, even if it did work it only has line in/out, mic port and midi

edit
you know anything about the Extigy? I thought about getting it

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
you know anything about the Extigy? I thought about getting it

Not much; I got to try it once, thought it was decent enough for the money the owner paid for it (around $75, he probably got it used); couldn't tell much difference between that and the EMU-404 on Grados but the listening I did on both were months apart, so there might have been some details I didn't remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back