Will someone please review the Denon DVD 2900!
Jul 23, 2003 at 8:30 AM Post #16 of 30
Take a look at this month's issue of DVD etc. magazine. a review of the Denon is there. They do say that Denon has developed their own board for this player. Most other universal players on the market use the Pioneer board.

Jul 23, 2003 at 5:46 PM Post #18 of 30
Thanks! I've already read the DVD magazine and I found its' take to be interesting. I've gone to Audiophile Audition and their review is pretty convincing. However, none seem to mention the Redbook CD playback as compared to Redbook CD only sources. Hmmm. Anyway, I think that I'll save up for the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with all of the upgrades. When high resolution universals settle down, then maybe I'll make the switch. The Ah! can fetch up to 90 percent of its original value, so I'm told...

Jul 23, 2003 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 30
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Keep your pants on. I have been waiting for some feedback from the Denon rep on the review I wrote and I was attempting to get him to post that feedback here himself. I promise it will be worth the wait. If I don't hear from him by this weekend I'll go ahead and post it.

peacesign.gif

Jul 23, 2003 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 30
I'm not just interested in the 2900, but in other SACD and/or universal players, and before I would try to get one for audition at home (which would be difficult if not impossible anyway where I live) I'd like to have an idea which one is worth the effort. From the reviews I've read so far I don't expect it to be that brilliant to outclass the 963SA (apart from DVD-A) or the Bel Canto DAC2 with redbook. Nevertheless I'm curious about tuberoller's judgement.

I'd like to get a Linn Unidisk, Bel Canto PLayer, MF Trivista or Lindemann D-680 for half of their price...
tongue.gif
(other suggestions?).

peacesign.gif

Jul 31, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 30
mcbiff...

...where can I get detailed information on the DV-50? I didn't find any on the Teac website, they even don't know what «Esoteric» is.
tongue.gif
Do you know if it's available in Europe?

I found this review.

peacesign.gif

Aug 1, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #24 of 30
I would run not walk away from the DV-50. The feature I looked for that it was missing was the FireWire port for digital output maning that you're stuck with an early generation player with no means of upgrading the sound as improvements come out. To me that was a deal-breaker, although otherwise it looked really, really good!

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 30
winknudge.gif

Aug 19, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #28 of 30
FWIW, my research leads me to believe that most of the reviewers who had auditioned the Denon DVD 2900 considered it to be either a top drawer universal player (i.e., CNET) or one that has more strengths than weaknesses (i.e., Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, Audiophile Audition, AudioREVIEW). Furthermore, my research suggests that the Denon is one of the few universal players available for less than $1,000 USD.

I think I will forgo the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 in favor of the Denon DVD 2900. My MSU refund check should be able to absorb most of the cost involved. Will Crutchfield try to meet or beat the advertised price of $840 USD of another online merchant?

Aug 21, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 30
Hi all!

I've been doing some price comparison shopping for the Denon DVD 2900 and I came across a great website with pretty good reviews by its customers: http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=272986!

I know that it says it is out of stock but I called about five minutes ago and the representative said that they will re-stock by the end of this month. I purchased my NAD C 541i "B" Stock HDCD player refurbished and I have no problems with it whatsoever. Of course, I can't say the same for the refurbished Denon DVD 2900 available through ecost.com but what do ya'll think?

Aug 22, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #30 of 30
I think you also need to look at the new entry level Pioneer (see John Medeiros' threads).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back