Will someone please review the Denon DVD 2900!
Jul 16, 2003 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so I am interested in this high resolution "universal" DVD player. Enjoythemusic.com has posted a review as well as CNET. Other than those two, I am not aware of any other "professional" reviews. I'd expect more by the end of this summer but I am not so sure. Anyway, I would appreciate it greatly if someone like Tuberoller would find the time to write the review (already). It seems like this Denon DVD 2900 is real good. Thanks!

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 30
Haven't seen any reviews, but here are some nice pics from crutchfield:
x033dvd2900-o_open.jpeg

x033DVD2900-f_LD.jpeg

x033DVD2900-B_MT.jpeg

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 30
Yeah, I liked that ****...

Anyway, I'm digging through AudioAsylum archives and I guess I'll find some tidbits. However, if there are any detailed, lengthy, reviews, then don't hesitate to cough 'em up here. Thanks.

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 30
Tuberoller's been promising one for about a month, now. I understand that in the fall, a higher end universal player by Denon, possibly with HDCD, i-Link, and a better power supply than the DVD-2900, called the DVD-5900 will be out as a replacement for the DVD-3800.

Jul 16, 2003 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 30
If anyone here lives on the west coast, they have these in stock at EVERY local good guys store. They also have the Philips 963 if you want to compare.

I don't bother with DVD players for my music though.

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 30
Keep your pants on.I have been waiting for some feedback from the Denon rep on the review I wrote and I was attempting to get him to post that feedback here himself.I promise it will be worth the wait.If I don't hear from him by this weekend I'll go ahead and post it.

Jul 16, 2003 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 30
Very cool, Tuberoller. I'm looking forward to it. I just returned from Japan, where I went to Bic Camera and saw some of Denon's high-end audio only lineup. Some really great looking gear -- looked really well made, and genuinely high end. Pretty pricey too, comparable to Sony's 777ES, and the better Marantz stuff.

Jul 16, 2003 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 30
Im really looking forward to the review. Its been about 2 months since I decided its time for an upgrade and yet I have nothing. This review could change that!

Hiker

Jul 16, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 30
«stereoplay» has done a comparison test with the DVD 2900 and the Sony DVP NS 999 ES. The Denon has the better picture, the Sony has the better sound. Although they used kind words for both, the rating percentage is rather disappointing:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . CD . . . . SACD/DVD-A (surround!)

DVD 2900 . . . . . . . . . . . 50 . . . . 62/62

DVP NS 999 ES. . . . . . . . 54 . . . . 67/--

Philips DVD 963 SA. . . . . . 54 . . . . 66/--

Yamaha DVD S 2300. . . . . 50 . . . . 63/63

Linn Unidisk 1.1 . . . . . . . . 61 . . . . 69/68

The Denon is said to be slightly too warm and bassy and somewhat lacking precision compared to the Sony, both with CD and high-res.

peacesign.gif

Jul 22, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 30
I've been doing a bit of research into the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player. It is quite interesting to say the least. I think that I shall not get a high resolution "universal" source but the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 instead because of a few reasons. I am in the school of thought that the source is the most important link in the audio chain. Having said that, I've looked around the Internet at the current titles of DVD-Audio and SACD discs. Though the list is ever expanding, it is quite small compared to the list of titles for Redbook CDs. I listen to Redbook CDs 97 percent of the time. I want the best possible sound quality for my hard earned dollars and I want to be able to go to any store and buy a music title without having to fuss over whether it will be compatible with my audio system. So, I think that I will stick with Redbook CDs. I know the gamble that I am taking by sticking with Redbook CDs but I think that I am making the right decision. I'm already saving up for another source, no thanks to everybody here since I keep spending money on audio gear, but I should be able to afford it within my budget (though it will have to be slightly increased to $1,200 USD from $1,000 USD).

I think that I'll pay for the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 through some third party scholarships.

Wish me luck and thank you all for your help and patience with me thus far here at Head-Fi!

Jul 22, 2003 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 30
Why do you have to ask a denon rep about your review before you post it? Don't tell me your goin' sterophile on us!

Jul 22, 2003 at 4:18 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
Why do you have to ask a denon rep about your review before you post it? Don't tell me your goin' sterophile on us!

I just thought it would be cool.He is already a lurker and Denon almost never responds to reviews.I figured it would lend some credibility to our little headphone world if we had some feedback(non commercial of course) from a rep on an the Player.

Jul 23, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 30
Dear Tuberoller,

We are wondering when you might post your review on the Denon DVD 2900. We realize that you are a busy man who works a lot of long hours in different capacities. We also feel for your loss being that your basement in your new home got flooded. Yet, we are eagerly anticipating your thoughts and opinions on the Denon DVD 2900!

On a related note, I would like to know what you think about the current state of high resolution "universal" sources. I am most interested in knowing your opinion on how manufacturers are choosing to strike a balance between Redbook CD / HDCD playback and DVD-Audio / SACD. Are they choosing to devote equal attention to superb Redbook CD playback or are they going for the high resolution playback in their systems? Would it be a wise investment of my money to stick with a Redbook CD only source at this time or would I be best advised to give more consideration toward DVD-A / SACD machines? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back