Will my Compass work for my Turntable?
Nov 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

slytown

100+ Head-Fier
Can I use the Compass to use my turntable or do I have to buy a preamp? I'd like to have the turntable audio run through my computer and back out my optical if I could. Thx.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 7
You absolutely need a phono preamp. Google "RIAA curve" and you'll see that records are cut with a steep equalization curve for a variety of technical reasons.

You need a phono preamp (also called a phono stage) to put this missing information back in.

I haven't tried connecting a phono stage to a computer, but it might work. I'd rather connect the phono stage directly to my amp or stereo preamp; that's how most people do it.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 7
I think the more serious question is why turn analog into digital just to put it back into analog again? If you want to have a digital copy, fine, but the way you phrased it, you are doing it as a step in streaming audio, for no real end purpose.

Now, if you put it into digital, I am sure you can find a software phono stage. It will probably be inferior to an all analog setup, but probably cheaper given the equipment you already have.

Nkk

Dec 19, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Do I connect the preamp to my input and it should run straight through to my speakers/headphones or does that input go to my computer?

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #6 of 7
I think he means to connect the turntable to the analogue line in of the Compass, at least I hope he does. In between the two an RIAA/phono stage is required.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 7
Nevemind, I got it. I had to run in super mode, and hit the pre switch and use the pre-out for my speakers.

I got the sound to go straight through my compass, but I needed to be able to send audio through my computer when I was mixing. Turns out there was a switch I forgot about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back