Will I see an upgrade in SQ going from Shure SE530's to the Monster Turbine Pro Copper's?
Jun 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Naim.F.C

1000+ Head-Fier
I guess I'm getting a little bored, and want a bit of an upgrade. Maybe a bit more sparkle in the high end and more clarity all the way through. SE530's are brilliant in most regards except the high end.

How do the Copper's fare against the SE530's SQ wise? Also, one other important thing is that I tend to use my phones on the (London) Underground, so a good seal is of paramount importance. 

Any opinions or impressions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I use my phones with an iPhone 3GS, soon to be iPhone 4.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 15
I haven't heard the Coppers, but I can tell you for sure that they are no upgrade over SE530. If you want an upgrade, you will have to spend a lot more money than that. Coppers will just offer a different sonic flavor because they use different type of drivers (dynamic vs. armatures in SE530). They may give you bigger, deeper bass and a more present treble, but quality wise, I highly doubt that they are an upgrade - maybe a small improvement in some areas at best. I think you may be better off getting some custom tips for you SE530 - that should take care of the treble roll off.

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 15
The Shure E530's and even the 500's are worlds above the MTPC's for 1/2 the price. No if ands or butts!
The Monsters shouldn't cost a dime over $200 and even that's because of all of the wonderful 
accessories that come with the Monsters.They aren't a very good IEM. I would take a PK-1,
OK-1 or ER4P's over them anyday.
They look pretty, and have wonderful extras, but they sound horrible (sorry for being so blunt).

Jun 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 15
^I agree.  I've listen to them and compared with my TF10, and wasn't very impressed with them.  Has joker done a review on the coppers yet?

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
The Shure E530's and even the 500's are worlds above the MTPC's for 1/2 the price. No if ands or butts!
The Monsters shouldn't cost a dime over $200 and even that's because of all of the wonderful 
accessories that come with the Monsters.They aren't a very good IEM. I would take a PK-1,
They look pretty, and have wonderful extras, but they sound horrible (sorry for being so blunt).

Quote:
^I agree.  I've listen to them and compared with my TF10, and wasn't very impressed with them.  Has joker done a review on the coppers yet?

God, I have no idea how I can know when should I believe in power of FOTM. Honestly, every newIEM goes through a cycle, love and suspicion and hatred and forget

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 15
Comparing my MTPC to my tf10, to me the MTPC is better in almost every aspect and i love it way more than the tf10. It's all personal preference. 

Quote:

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 15
Hmm...so many conflicting reports. Annoying thing about the Coppers is I'd have to run them in a bit before knowing whether I preferred them or not. So It's not even like I can test them for a bit whilst deciding.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 15
Well, maybe the tf10 is good for you, since they have really nice high-end sparkle and clarity, though the little recessed mids might be a trouble for you since the shure530 is focused on mids. Anyway It all depends, dynamic drivers and armature drivers are very different, some people prefer armature drivers over dynamic drivers and vice versa. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 15
I would have considered a TF10 except I hate the fit and isolation. I just find them horribly uncomfortable. So that rules them out. I would have also considered the Earsonics SM3 (my prime choice) but I have a £100 Amazon voucher I need to use and Amazon aren't selling the SM3's :frowning2:

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I haven't heard the Coppers, but I can tell you for sure that they are no upgrade over SE530. If you want an upgrade, you will have to spend a lot more money than that. Coppers will just offer a different sonic flavor because they use different type of drivers (dynamic vs. armatures in SE530). They may give you bigger, deeper bass and a more present treble, but quality wise, I highly doubt that they are an upgrade - maybe a small improvement in some areas at best. I think you may be better off getting some custom tips for you SE530 - that should take care of the treble roll off.

I used to have 530's but never could deal w/ the treble roll off and they lack alot of the dynamic character and body I enjoy from the Coppers and other dynamic driver phones.  I agree w/ Pianist though for the most part that you are trading sonic signatures more than making a huge upgrade.  Though myself and my best friend have both ditched the 530's after years of use.  He prefers the Coppers better, I like my MD's for my needs.  He listened to my fully burned in (70+ hours) Coppers after his 530's and said he thought they were on another level.  I only liked the 530's if I listened to them for more than 15 minutes and let psychoacoustics pursuade me that they sounded pretty good. 

Quote:

I actually liked the ER4-S more than the 530's when I had them and the Coppers bested the ER4-S by a good margin IMO.  The 530's are not half the price of the Coppers btw.  Coppers go from $175-$250 depending.  Unless you get your 530's for $90-$125 I don't think you should be comparing MSRP to non-MSRP.  Your experience w/ the Coppers seems indicative of someone that did not get enough burn-in, find the right tips, seal and/or insertion depth. 

You might consider the FX-700's, Radius DDM's, SM3's or customs though.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #12 of 15
HJE900's are a very entertaining sidegrade from the se530's. If its more treble you are looking for HJE900's are pin sharp and very sparkly compared to se530, bass is far tighter and punchier too.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I would have considered a TF10 except I hate the fit and isolation. I just find them horribly uncomfortable. So that rules them out. I would have also considered the Earsonics SM3 (my prime choice) but I have a £100 Amazon voucher I need to use and Amazon aren't selling the SM3's :frowning2:

That's sure limiting.  Amazon would allow you to listen to the Coppers and try them out.  If you didn't like them you could wait for new 535's or whatever will be replacing the TF10 to come out.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
HJE900's are a very entertaining sidegrade from the se530's. If its more treble you are looking for HJE900's are pin sharp and very sparkly compared to se530, bass is far tighter and punchier too.

I was thinking this as well.  The HJE900's could help him burn the voucher and give an alternate sound signature and dynamic driver character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back