Will DVD-Audio & SACD co-exist in the next five years?
Nov 27, 2003 at 9:35 AM Post #76 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
a) People don't see the value of high rez format. They see the CD being as good as it gets. They don't see the value of a higher rez format partially because they don't sit and listen to music.

d) Market confusion. Cars can't play high rez.

e) The supporting components of the average stereo such as receivers, speakers, etc aren't really good enough to demonstrate the quality advantages of a high rez format. You would have a much better time selling it if everyone had $10k speakers in their homes and $5k electronics such as amplifiers, preamps, etc. The high rez format offers little, if any advantage over the CD with the average home theater system.

a) People can't see/hear value that they aren't even aware of.

d) At least one car currently does with its stock system (Acura TL I think) (DVD-A).

e) I'd beg to differ. I have a budget DVD-A player that I picked up for around $100 and the differences between redbook and DVD-A are huge. Now granted a really high-end CD player can match, possibly beat or at least come close to the resolution of my DVD-A player, there are still differences between redbook and DVD-A/SACD in the budget segment of the market and those differences aren't small.

Nov 27, 2003 at 10:48 AM Post #77 of 85
These differences may not be small to YOU. However, I think that to an average Joe, these differences are small enough not to justify a purchase of a player and a replacement library of his current music (it doesn't make sense to purchase a player and not replace the current CD library even though the player can read CDs).

My primary point is that people don't purchase things based on quality alone. That's not to say that quality doesn't play a role, just not the only role and most likely: not a major role. If it did, people wouldn't be listening to boom boxes, MP3 or CDs over computer speakers, and they wouldn't invest in things like "home theater in a box", bose little cube speakers and other such nonsense.

Nov 27, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #78 of 85
I'm in agreement with Markl to a certain degree: 2004 will be an important year for both DVD-Audio (in particular) and SACD IF the various companies and record labels decide to increase their marketing campaigns (i.e., the "education" of the average consumer). IF SONY / Philips and the various companies associated with the DVD Forum spend more money to educate consumers about the benefits gained exclusively by switching over to either or both high resolution formats then 2004 will indeed become an important year for both formats. IF more universal players become available (just like dual / multi-format DVD burners and upcoming dual-layer multi-format DVD burners in 2004) for the average consumer at various price points (i.e., I want the Denon DVD 5900) then it becomes easier for the consumer to get on the band wagon.

The problem is that not enough credible news has been found in the Internet but there is a small trickle of it so far. I guess the priority right now is to make as much money given that the massive holiday season is in full effect. Wait and see in early 2004 (i.e., first quarter) to see whether these things Markl and I have cited as being critical to the massive adoption of high resolution formats comes to pass.

My one cent.
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 10:02 PM Post #79 of 85
Actually, Sony and various SACD-supporting record labels have began placing full-page ads, sometimes multiple ads, for SACD in various magazines, such as Rolling Stone and Sound & Vision. I think bifcake nailed the situation with his comments. However, with the sale of Warner Music and merger of Sony/BMG, the future is even cloudier for DVD-A.

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #80 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Actually, Sony and various SACD-supporting record labels have began placing full-page ads, sometimes multiple ads, for SACD in various magazines, such as Rolling Stone

Including a free SACD in the latest Rolling Stone.

Nov 28, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #81 of 85
Even though audiophiles are a small percentage of the total buying population, they may buy substantially more recordings than other consumers. If this is the case, it could be enough to keep SACDs alive.

Nov 28, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #82 of 85
My opinion is that SACD is here to stay, even though it's possible that it will merely end up as an audiophile format. Much like the way laserdisc was when videotape was the preferred format. To increase the chances of SACD's survival, Sony/Philips and the format's supporting music labels should consider releasing new releases as "single inventory" disc, like the Rolling Stones and Sam Cooke reissues. However, the music companies are not doing that with new releases.

If DVD-A is to survive, the format's backers need to unleash some worthy titles, and in large numbers. The recent BMG releases are a good start, but that trend needs to continue and pick up steam. So far, the worthy titles on DVD-A are very few in numbers. Both BMG and Warner have considerable catalogs that I am sure will be good sellers if released on DVD-A. Back that up with a successful marketing campaign and DVD-A can get be on track. Given the resources at Warner & BMG and Panasonic & Toshiba (the mainstream DVD-A hardware supporters), I am surprised they can't come up with something better than what they have now.

Nov 30, 2003 at 11:32 AM Post #84 of 85
Someone here said that people will 'undoubted upgrade to DVD-A and SACD' (or something) because of the quality difference. But unlike a change from VHS to DVD, the change from CD to these hi-rez formats is so hard to notice as to be identical to all intents and purposes to the average consumer. Heck, tech people even say they ARE identical (for two-channel playback anyway)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 30, 2003 at 5:26 PM Post #85 of 85
Joe Bloggs:

Whomever said so is making a broad and sweeping generalization about both high resolution formats. They are not identical to Redbook CDs in their multi-layered construction, native capacity size, and multimedia content. Technically, both formats could integrate the entire contents of their accompanying booklets onto the disc itself. Furthermore, both formats offer a advanced resolution layers for both multi / two channel modes. Moreover, there will be more high resolution discs that also offer the conventional Redbook CD layer as well. As for the sound quality, it is entirely arguable: does a high end CDP with all the bells and whistles sound better than a $2000 USD universal player? Your ears shall decide. However, I firmly believe that both high resolution formats offer consumers a much higher level of enjoyment for whatever musical style they prefer at competitive prices to that of Redbook CDs. You just got to know where to look for hi-rez deals for both hardware and software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back