Will DT990s be ruined by GPU fans?
Feb 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BlackThought

New Head-Fier
Long story short. Planning on getting a nice set of phones for listening to music and gaming. On this site the DT990s were said to be wonderful for my needs. But ive never used a pair of open phones. My CF GPU fans can get some what loud. Will this be a problem?

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 10
Good question.  There's doubt you will hear the fan when wearing the 990s. As you say, they just don't isolate and you can readily hear outside sounds.  For me, that kind of thing drives me crazy and if there is any appreciable background noise I switch to closed cans.  YMMV.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I used to run 2x 4870x2 in quad crossfire up until last year.  At 100% fan, it was extremely loud.  I never found it to be an issue.

But then again half the time I can't even hear my own phone ring when i'm listening to music.  Do you like to listen at really quiet volumes?

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #4 of 10
I used to run 2x 4870x2 in quad crossfire up until last year.  At 100% fan, it was extremely loud.  I never found it to be an issue.

But then again half the time I can't even hear my own phone ring when i'm listening to music.  Do you like to listen at really quiet volumes?

Im becoming more concerned about my hearing. So i don't blast my music anymore It'll be loud enough to hear everything, but not loud enough to make my ears hurt. So normal volume.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #5 of 10
Each of us are different but will weigh in with my experience.  Most of us are vigilant about sound of course...why we are here.  I own the DT-990 600ohm version.  I also have a custom built PC what I built with the priority of low noise footprint because I hate distracting ambient noise.

FWIW, I cannot hear any ambient noise with my  DT-990's adjusted to normal listening levels.  If you have a noisy PC case...or noisy fans...or fans cranked at too high a RPM your experience maybe and likely will be different.  What I suggest is download a simple fan speed/CPU/GPU/HDD/Motherboard temp monitoring software like Speedfan.  Ambient termperature in your room affects your internal computer temp.  Ideally you want to adjust the speed of all your computer fans to be as low as possible and still keep temps below say 55 deg. C for all components.  GPU's get the hottest of computer components...but GPU fans and temps are also affected by case fans and internal computer case air flow.  Run the quietest fans you can find...at the lowest RPM you can to derive a target temp.  In the winter, I can run my fan speeds lower of course because my room is cooler.  You may also be able to adjust your fan speeds in your BIOS...but find out your temps with Speedfan before lowering fan speeds.

The DT-990 is a fantastic headphone with a fun sound signature.  You will not get the same soundstage with a closed headphone.  I suggest you work on the ambient sound level in your room based upon computer noise level.  I hate off the rack PC's because of 'their sound signature'.  A quiet PC can be achieved with some vigilance.

HTH.

Feb 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 10
My pc fans are quite noisy, and it does annoy me a bit. But nothing that will make me switch to closed in general. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Each of us are different but will weigh in with my experience.  Most of us are vigilant about sound of course...why we are here.  I own the DT-990 600ohm version.  I also have a custom built PC what I built with the priority of low noise footprint because I hate distracting ambient noise.

FWIW, I cannot hear any ambient noise with my  DT-990's adjusted to normal listening levels.  If you have a noisy PC case...or noisy fans...or fans cranked at too high a RPM your experience maybe and likely will be different.  What I suggest is download a simple fan speed/CPU/GPU/HDD/Motherboard temp monitoring software like Speedfan.  Ambient termperature in your room affects your internal computer temp.  Ideally you want to adjust the speed of all your computer fans to be as low as possible and still keep temps below say 55 deg. C for all components.  GPU's get the hottest of computer components...but GPU fans and temps are also affected by case fans and internal computer case air flow.  Run the quietest fans you can find...at the lowest RPM you can to derive a target temp.  In the winter, I can run my fan speeds lower of course because my room is cooler.  You may also be able to adjust your fan speeds in your BIOS...but find out your temps with Speedfan before lowering fan speeds.

The DT-990 is a fantastic headphone with a fun sound signature.  You will not get the same soundstage with a closed headphone.  I suggest you work on the ambient sound level in your room based upon computer noise level.  I hate off the rack PC's because of 'their sound signature'.  A quiet PC can be achieved with some vigilance.

HTH.

One of my 7950s only has a single fan, so it's a lot louder trying to keep up with the second card that has dual fans.

My other fans are pretty much silent unless i put my ear against my case.

Nothing i can do to remedy the GPU,already emailed XFX about fan replacements.

And i don't have a off the rack, this is painstakengly hand built :)

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 10
I think you'll be fine. I have the DT880's and they are just as open as the 990's I think...correct me if I'm wrong. I have a HTPC and my gaming computers 3 feet away. The HTPC has LOUD 80mm fans in it (crappy but free case) and I can't hear them at what I'd consider normal listening levels.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 10
I do not think you will be able to hear the fans .. the isolation is adequate to forget all else.. 

unless ofcourse there's something purposeful.. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
 One of my 7950s only has a single fan, so it's a lot louder trying to keep up with the second card that has dual fans.

My other fans are pretty much silent unless i put my ear against my case.

Nothing i can do to remedy the GPU,already emailed XFX about fan replacements.

And i don't have a off the rack, this is painstakengly hand built :)

Tell me a bit about your 'dual' GPU setup.  What is your objective in running two very different PCI cards?.

I wonder if you could over ride your GPU fans?...and set them up to be temperature controlled?

Do you monitor your mobo and GPU temps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back