Will a Senn HD25-1 make an Ety ER-4 happy?
Jan 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
After careful consideration, I decided to forgo my intent to acquire the open backed AKG K702 / Beyer DT990 Pro (I asked about them almost a month ago here).

I find it hard to use an open backed circum aurals at home due to the noisy and "busy" surrounding.

Now looking into the closed backed segment, automatically the HD 25-1 come to mind. BUT I have never liked Senn house sound and have been dissapointed with HD600, HD580 and HD595. So with much skeptism I find it hard to convince myself to give HD25 a try.

So will a HD25-1 be fast enough to satisfy an Ety junkie? some help is much appreciated.

PS:
I am open also to options that are on par or better than HD25-1

Cheers

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 8
More than nearly any phones I know, the Etys are hard to match. Some think they're Grado-like (probably in extension). I will also always choose a Ety over a Shure or UE, but prefer Senns full-sized over Grado, AT, etc. Electrostatics are a natural leap, but that doesn't help your case.

Besides speed, perhaps it's best to list what Ety characteristics you're after and match that? That's said there isn't much in the HD25-1 closed class. There are ATs to suggest, but they will be colder than the Etys.

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 8
blessingx:
Yes aside from speed. I'd be happy if they also can match ER-4S timbre accuracy and articulate notes - that may be asking too much. Which ATs are you talking about? I am okay with "cold" cans as I have two magnificent amp to warm up the bottoms
wink.gif

1Time:
Okay, so I take it HD-25 still have that HD600 sound as well?. And which Ultrasone are you referring to?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blessingx:
Yes aside from speed. I'd be happy if they also can match ER-4S timbre accuracy and articulate notes - that may be asking too much. Which ATs are you talking about? I am okay with "cold" cans as I have two magnificent amp to warm up the bottoms
wink.gif

1Time:
Okay, so I take it HD-25 still have that HD600 sound as well?. And which Ultrasone are you referring to?

Thanks!

I've owned a few Senns, and I can't imagine the HD25-1 II not sounding similar to the others. FWIR, the two main benefits that I would expect with the HD25-1 II over other Senns is its isolation and it would sound fun/good without additional amplification.

I've owned the Proline 650, and I was referring to Ultrasones in general, which would be an all together different sound than Senns, extended, detailed, colder, and not as much isolation. For help with narrowing your choices, I suggest reading and posting in this Ultrasone thread.

Jan 31, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 8
How about a Koss A/130 if you can find one. After fixing the drivers in place and playing with some bluetack inside the cups you might get there. They are not as Ety like as the A/250 though.

Jan 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 8
The HD-25 I/II have almost nothing in common with HD 580/600/650. They are clearly more upfront and brighter, slightly tending towards sibilance and harshness (which can be reduced with copper cables). And they have a more limited spatial representation. Both properties are shared by the Etys. I still like my HD-25 I, but if you're looking for higher quality closed cans with great detail and air two admittedly extreme options of similar-but-better-than-Ety-closed cans with monitor-like accuracy come to mind. Stax SR-4070 and Phonak Audéos. I don't own the former - but would like to. I own and just love the latter. The Audéos don't provide as much isolation as the HD-25 I but they have amazingly detailed airy and silky highs combined with *very* deep and controlled bass. Tone colors are rendered in a very natural and true way. In spite of being very balanced they are not at all boring.

Feb 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 8
Yup, I've owned the HD600s, HD-25's and etys at the same time. And the HD-25's sound nothing like the HD600s/650s, or the etys for that matter. I thought the etys were better and sold the HD-25s. They don't touch the Etys timbre accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back