Will a PB1 Toucan power a DT 770 600ohm?
Oct 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Flintvic

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm new to the audiophile scene.  Started when I first purchased a Sennheiser hd 485 then bought a crappy Skullcandy headphone that made me appreciate the Sennheisers.  I want to upgrade and my choices are the DT 770 model.  I choosing between the PRO 80 ohm or the 600 ohm.  I love bass but I need my midbass as well and I hear that the 80 ohm's bass over powers the midbass and that the 600 ohm is just right.  These headphones will be used on the go walking around campus and working out. 

Will the PB1 Toucan power the 600 ohms just right? Or should I just go with the 80 or 250 ohms?

Thanks

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd discourage you from working out with these. They're huge, plus the cables, they can get in the way. Plus imagine all that sweat on the velour pads, you'd be buying replacements sooner. With about the price of a set of velour pads you can get an IEM that's decent enough you won't notice the SQ deficit when your mind's on the workout routine.

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for replying

but I hate IEMs with a passion.  They hurt my ear canals something serious.  Plus I want the effect of a closed headphone.  I'm not tripping on the long cables cause my Sennheiser hd 485 had long cables as well, I just rolled them up and put a twist tie on it.  But the velour pads seem like it would be a problem with sweat.  Hopefully I can find a way around that.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 13
To answer your question, yes the Toucan should be able to power the 600 ohm DT 770.  Of course you are only getting half of the voltage swing with the SE output.  I might suggest checking out the iBasso P4 which will be introduced very shortly.  It will have a 12 volt rechargeable power supply and you can also change the opamps to those of your liking.  It is an update from the excellent P3+.

Ron

Oct 30, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 13
My five cents about the DT770-600: The 600 version is the best, I spent quite some time at the Beyerdynamic factory outlet comparing the different models (the T1 as well
smile_phones.gif
) but ended up with the DT770-600 as it has a deep, but well controllable bass. At the moment I'm using a DIY hybrid amp wthe a 24V Class A SE output stage at home. For portable use I will be reviewing the Arrow Amp, just waiting for shipment. This should be able to drive the 600 ohms due to 12V output - but hearing is believing...

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks for all the replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUli /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My five cents about the DT770-600: The 600 version is the best, I spent quite some time at the Beyerdynamic factory outlet comparing the different models (the T1 as well
smile_phones.gif
) but ended up with the DT770-600 as it has a deep, but well controllable bass. At the moment I'm using a DIY hybrid amp wthe a 24V Class A SE output stage at home. For portable use I will be reviewing the Arrow Amp, just waiting for shipment. This should be able to drive the 600 ohms due to 12V output - but hearing is believing...

Cool, keep me updated on how well the arrow amp does with the 600ohm version.

Nov 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Grosse Uli! I'm with Flintvic on that one - please keep us updated! :)

I have Beyerdynamics lates editions of the DT770, DT880 and DT990, all 600 Ohm. I could always need some advise on matching amps.
I'm preferably into desktop setups, but one portable one, for fun, wouldn't be so bad either.

Current setups are as following:
HTPC#1 -> Cambridge DacMagic -> Antique Sound Labs MG Head OTL MK III -> DT880.
HTPC#2 -> LittleDot DAC II -> LittleDot MK IV SE -> DT990.
My last setup will be Gaming PC -> DAC/AMP (combo or dedicated) -> DT770.
What I just can't figure out is how some of these cans won't match the other amps, and vice versa.

The 990s sound great (perfect deep, though punchy bass, nice mids, extended but not uncomfortably sharp treble) with the LittleDot, but sound horrible (thin, sharp, tincanny) with the ASL.
The 880s sound good with both the LittleDot and the ASL. Maybe just a tad too much bass with the LittleDot, and even more so with the ASL. The more bass, the more withdrawn the treble sounds, which I do not really like too much.
The 770s sound good with the ASL, but not so good with the LittleDot. Lacks a bit punch in the lower scale on the ASL, lacks it even more on the LittleDot, and also sounds a bit too sharp for my ears.
As stated, all cans are 600 Ohms, and these OTL amps should be good matches for the cans.

As I feel my economy at this point's had kind of enough, I've settled for the LittleDot and 990s as one pair, and the ASL and 880s as one too.
Only thing missing is a match for the 770s. I've scourged the land of head-fi for answers, but can't seem to find that one safe path to success here.
I've been wanting to try out one of Audio-GD's combos, but I'm afraid it wouldn't drive the 770s satisfactory.
After all this, I understand different cans sound different with different amps, but I'm still convinced that an OTL design would be the best solution for my 770s. Just not sure which one.
I've already switched the velour pads for the ones in real leather, while I'm waiting for J$ to finish his v2 of the Beyer lambskin pads.

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

Try Neco portable amp v2,  maybe you would change your mind.

Seeing as I'll be getting a pair of DT770/600 ohms by the end of the week, the topic of having a portable amp interests me. I did a look-up of Neco Soundlabs' V2, but he claims that the amp "can drive headphones in range of 32 to 300 ohms" - that doesn't sound particularly reassuring. :<

(Source. Scroll down to/search for the "Connections:" header.)

-- Griffinhart

Nov 7, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 13
Anyone tried Decware's portable? The information promises 50 hours of playing time with 32-600 Ohm headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back