WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #331 of 789
Brantome info was correct and perhaps I can add that the Wiim's app settings has an setting inside it to allow max audio quality but not minimum audio quality, This gives you the option to lower the high bitrate, reducing the high amount of data needed to play high res. songs that can consume huge amounts of bandwidth (some HQ songs are crazy large); this can be especially important if you're using expensive cell data, slow internet to play music or using a slow/weak wi-fi signal that's not able to properly handle all the data needs to play a high res song without interrupting so throttling it down can be important.

Also, not all songs available via streaming are high res. quality, many are just Redbook (CD quality) which can sound great (I like it) and some songs have even higher quality output. It will also depends on level of streaming service that you purchased. If your only paying for MP3 quality music, then thats all the Wiim is going to play. If you pay for Qobuz or similar high res services, Wiim will be able to play those high res. songs when settings in Wiim is set to play high res. songs.
I believe this will also effect any high res. NAS songs on your network accessed via WiFi by Wiim and then that song sent to your DAC via Wiim's Coax or SPDIF cable would be throttled as well? I haven't confirmed that yet.
If you have good unlimited internet bandwidth and fast wifi, setting the Wiim resolution in the app to 192 Khz with 24 bits in SPDIF & Coax will allow to play any high res. songs sent its way.

Also check the music services your using like Tidal, Qobuz and Amazon....etc, and see what the max resolution is that your paying for.
Thanks for the explanation, so basically wiim will play the highest res currently available for the streaming service, which is what I expect, I only hope that in a future app update the setting in is made bit more apparent and granular preferably matching the streaming service as currently it's not very obvious and require some guesswork.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #332 of 789
As @brantome stated, WiiM produces bit-perfect output depending on the output quality setting. If you set spdif output to say 24bit/96khz due to your DAC limitation, there will be no bit rate conversion for all input files upto 24bit/96khz (meaning they will be bit perfect). But, if you play a 24bit/192khz files, the output will be downsampled to 24bit/96khz.

Feb 10, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #333 of 789
As @brantome stated, WiiM produces bit-perfect output depending on the output quality setting. If you set spdif output to say 24bit/96khz due to your DAC limitation, there will be no bit rate conversion for all input files upto 24bit/96khz (meaning they will be bit perfect). But, if you play a 24bit/192khz files, the output will be downsampled to 24bit/96khz.
Yup, all the confusion arised because I was using the streaming app from within the Wiim Home app which I guess is not the optimal way as it doesn't provide many controls, now all sorted as I am using the streaming apps directly and setting the output device to Wiim Pro, I guess this is the correct way to use it, I am still new to Wiim so didnt realise this earlier, thanks to all!

Feb 10, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #334 of 789
Yup, all the confusion arised because I was using the streaming app from within the Wiim Home app which I guess is not the optimal way as it doesn't provide many controls, now all sorted as I am using the streaming apps directly and setting the output device to Wiim Pro, I guess this is the correct way to use it, I am still new to Wiim so didnt realise this earlier, thanks to all!
I beg to disagree. The WiiM app is very capable and useful. It may not offer the interface versions of the various music services but it's close. In addition it liberates the other device (phone/tablet/computer) from running anything. The WiiM app passes the source's original stream intact automatically. With a WiiM Pro you can use chromecast to launch a stream with a device (phone/tablet/computer) native app that supports chromecast by sending the feed to WiiM Pro and then the unit takes over from there; the source device can be shut down and the stream will continue to play.

Feb 10, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #335 of 789
The WiiM app passes the source's original stream intact automatically.
I agree that Wiim passes the bit perfect stream but my concern was the audio quality the source streaming service itself is providing to Wiim app as similar control don't exist in the Wiim app and I am not sure the quality I set in the streaming app will apply when streamed to wiim, I can guess it's the highest quality but not 100% sure, by using the streaming app I can be sure of it, thanks for the Chromecast suggestion I'll try it later, although using the streaming app directly also behave the same way it just act as a remote and the audio continue to play even if the controlling device is turned off.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #336 of 789
I agree that Wiim passes the bit perfect stream but my concern was the audio quality the source streaming service itself is providing to Wiim app as similar control don't exist in the Wiim app and I am not sure the quality I set in the streaming app will apply when streamed to wiim, I can guess it's the highest quality but not 100% sure, by using the streaming app I can be sure of it, thanks for the Chromecast suggestion I'll try it later, although using the streaming app directly also behave the same way it just act as a remote and the audio continue to play even if the controlling device is turned off.
With Amazon Music Unlimited the WiiM app sets WiiM Pro at the correct bit stream and it shows its value right on the app. I think the same applies to any other source.

Feb 10, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #337 of 789
The streaming app has nothing to do with WiiM which has its own settings. You can be assured (second tidal MQA unfold apart) that the WiiM device will stream bitperfect up to the max output resolution you have set in the WiiM app, and it displays that on its now playing screen. Users of the Mini, like myself, can attest to that with almost a year’s experience since the WiiM firmware supported that.

Feb 10, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #338 of 789
The streaming app has nothing to do with WiiM which has its own settings. You can be assured (second tidal MQA unfold apart) that the WiiM device will stream bitperfect up to the max output resolution you have set in the WiiM app, and it displays that on its now playing screen. Users of the Mini, like myself, can attest to that with almost a year’s experience since the WiiM firmware supported that.

Just wanted to add to get bit perfect the volume needs to be set to the fixed audio output and the EQ must be set to off. My understanding if these 2 items are not set correctly the WiiM mini and pro would be using the built-in Dac instead of using an external Dac.

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #339 of 789
Just wanted to add to get bit perfect the volume needs to be set to the fixed audio output and the EQ must be set to off. My understanding if these 2 items are not set correctly the WiiM mini and pro would be using the built-in Dac instead of using an external Dac.
Hmmmmm............ I don't think that's true. I was under the impression that the WiiM's internal DAC was only used when outputting audio to the WiiM LINE OUT jacks (or inputting from an external device into the Line Inputs of the WiiM), and while I do have the volume on my WiiM Pro set to FIXED, I do use the EQ set to ON, and I'm getting bit perfect digital input into my Topping D30Pro DAC connected via digital coax, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #340 of 789
I need to connect the wiim mini to the coaxial input of the Ifi audio idsd dac, obviously using the supplied optical cable. Which adapter should i buy? A link would be very helpful

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #344 of 789
Hmmmmm............ I don't think that's true. I was under the impression that the WiiM's internal DAC was only used when outputting audio to the WiiM LINE OUT jacks (or inputting from an external device into the Line Inputs of the WiiM), and while I do have the volume on my WiiM Pro set to FIXED, I do use the EQ set to ON, and I'm getting bit perfect digital input into my Topping D30Pro DAC connected via digital coax, but please do correct me if I'm wrong.
I’m with you on that - if you’re using a digital output then there’s no reason for any digital to analog conversion i.e. DAC intervention.

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #345 of 789
I’m with you on that - if you’re using a digital output then there’s no reason for any digital to analog conversion i.e. DAC intervention.
It's a bit confusing because in the manual it says to achieve bit perfect output, you need to use the digital output and the "fixed line-out level". Now, what the heck do they mean by fixed line-out level? I don't think it's the same as fixed volume level, but who knows? It does, however, make sense that the only reason for the internal DAC is for either outputting or inputting analog signals to or from the unit.

To be honest, I'm not to hung up on the semantics, because it sounds fantastic, or maybe the proper phrase would be, that it passes digital audio perfectly without imparting any distortions or artifacts : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back