WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Jan 9, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #303 of 781
I am continually amazed at how good the WiiM mini sounds with Amazon Music HD. Stunned actually. This is my favorite audio purchase of 2022!
What amazes me is that Amazon themselves haven’t produced a unit like the WiiM. They could have added a half decent DAC or even just a bit perfect digital out to one of their echos - even a Dot - years ago when Amazon Music HD was first released rather than constraining playback to the higher end (but still limited) Echo Studio and Echo Link/amp.

Jan 9, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #305 of 781
What amazes me is that Amazon themselves haven’t produced a unit like the WiiM. They could have added a half decent DAC or even just a bit perfect digital out to one of their echos - even a Dot - years ago when Amazon Music HD was first released rather than constraining playback to the higher end (but still limited) Echo Studio and Echo Link/amp.
Maybe Amazon -- perhaps correctly -- figured that the vast majority of consumers are more like Spotify customers who listen to music on their phones or low-quality boomboxes (e.g., Echos) , and don't give a rat's ass for bit-perfect high-res sound. Thus making the effort to produce and support an Amazon-only Linkplay-type device not worth the investment. Which is in keeping with their overall LCD strategy for Amazon-branded products in general.

I'm a bit more surprised that Apple so far hasn't made available a little Apple Connect-type device for their Music service, since they project a certain image and cater to customers who tend to buy Teslas rather than Toyotas (or would like to). I'm cautiously hopeful WiiM/Linkplay and Apple will partner to the point that WiiM provides a high-quality entree into Apple Music that enables Apple to experience a very nice bump in their customer base.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #306 of 781
Yeah *ahem* I would like to stream directly from Apple Music’s library. Airplay 2 kinda works, but it’s not the same streamer experience with the extra step.

I’m getting mixed signals from Apple. The entire hires library becoming offered for just $10/mo was a big deal, the Apple dongles are really good values for $9, the iPod and AirPods really popularized music (insane numbers of AirPods have been sold!!), their implementation with the AAC Bluetooth codec is especially well optimized, and the software built into iOS to deliver audio is nice, even more advanced than on macOS. However, iPods are discontinued, the AirPods Max doesn’t even offer a USB playback mode to take advantage of Apple’s Hi-Res library or ALAC format, and the “just ok” HomePod has also been discontinued in favor of the IMO unimpressive HomePod mini (which is probably more useful as a smarthome/Matter hub than a piece of HiFi).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #307 of 781
I just hooked up the WiiM Pro yesterday. It has blown my mind with the sound quality! I had no idea a streamer could sound this good. I don't even use the advanced Bluetooth connection in it. I use AirPlay 2 and Chromecast through my iPhone 12 Max Pro. They work seamlessly with my Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp and Q Acoustics 3050 floor-standing speakers. I use an optical cable to connect the streamer to my amp, and I haven't heard music sound this clear and detailed since having an Onkyo CD player connected to it. Oh yeah, the streamer has an excellent built-in DAC too. One of the best investments I've ever made for $150. Thank you WiiM!

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #308 of 781
I just hooked up the WiiM Pro yesterday. It has blown my mind with the sound quality! I had no idea a streamer could sound this good. I don't even use the advanced Bluetooth connection in it. I use AirPlay 2 and Chromecast through my iPhone 12 Max Pro. They work seamlessly with my Yamaha A-S801 integrated amp and Q Acoustics 3050 floor-standing speakers. I use an optical cable to connect the streamer to my amp, and I haven't heard music sound this clear and detailed since having an Onkyo CD player connected to it. Oh yeah, the streamer has an excellent built-in DAC too. One of the best investments I've ever made for $150. Thank you WiiM!
Totally agree for the price it’s a steal compared to other streamers on the market. Plus they’re constantly making improvements with firmware upgrades.

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #310 of 781
By the end of this year, this streamer will all have the features every user like. It will have a long life since it has 512 memory instead of 128 on mini.

Hey didn’t know you are a member here. I’m Klipscher over on the WiiM forum. Anyways totally agree with you that the WiiM pro will improve even more as new features are added.

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #311 of 781
Hey didn’t know you are a member here. I’m Klipscher over on the WiiM forum. Anyways totally agree with you that the WiiM pro will improve even more as new features are added.
I have been member here for a while it’s just I comment mainly on wiim forum. This will put expensive streamer to evaluate their product. Many of their streamer are powerful than pro but what makes wiim special was their expertise on software.

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #313 of 781
And not only that, but also their customer service is outstanding. Had an issue with my Mini, and the company really went above and beyond to help me out. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Apart from the Mojo 2, this is definitely the best purchase I've made recently. WiiM > Mojo 2 is an absolutely outstanding value combo.

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #314 of 781
By the end of this year, this streamer will all have the features every user like. It will have a long life since it has 512 memory instead of 128 on mini.
I'm curious about your statement "It will have a long life since it has 512 memory." Could you please elaborate on that? Is that RAM or ROM storage? Are you indicating that more software and firmware can run on it, or that the extra memory overhead will prolong the physical operating lifespan of the product?

Jan 18, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #315 of 781
I'm curious about your statement "It will have a long life since it has 512 memory." Could you please elaborate on that? Is that RAM or ROM storage? Are you indicating that more software and firmware can run on it, or that the extra memory overhead will prolong the physical operating lifespan of the product?
The mini hit brick wall on adding more features as it was limited to 128 ram. Roon can’t be incorporated unless some of the features strips out. As you aware of, every time new features and bug fixing the code become larger thus increase memory required. Remember how fast iPhone 10 when it came out? After year by year of iOS updates it became slow. Updates and features added become resource intensive and eventually the device need to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back