WiiM Streamers Mini and Pro
Sep 18, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #91 of 789
It’s perhaps not as clear as it could be.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #93 of 789
It's extremely poorly written.

I wrote and edited SOPs in a previously life, and this is the kind of writing that leads to all kinds of issues.
I think I have read about this before in another forum, with the USB prioritisation meaning that if there is any signal (not just music) through that route then other sources such as optical are silenced. The only solution, other than disconnecting cables, seems to be to see if the source feeding the USB has an option to switch off its signal entirely.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #94 of 789
Besides, once you have the WiiM working with your preferred streaming service, why would you need another input? :relaxed:
I must admit, now that Amazon Music HD streams using the Amazon iOS app as a casting remote controller, I have had no need to use another source.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #95 of 789
Besides, once you have the WiiM working with your preferred streaming service, why would you need another input? :relaxed:
I must admit, now that Amazon Music HD streams using the Amazon iOS app as a casting remote controller, I have had no need to use another source.
I use Amazon primarily for music discovery. I have a large library of lossless files on my PC that I listen to so I often switch back and forth. Admittedly though, now that I can get bit-perfect through the WiiM, sound quality isn't an issue. I also watch Youtube videos.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #96 of 789
I think I have read about this before in another forum, with the USB prioritisation meaning that if there is any signal (not just music) through that route then other sources such as optical are silenced. The only solution, other than disconnecting cables, seems to be to see if the source feeding the USB has an option to switch off its signal entirely.
Don't think switching off USB is an option from my laptop.

Sep 18, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #97 of 789
Instructions need to be clear and well written. Chord could learn from the like of Schiit and Wiim.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #98 of 789
I have to say that if you're using Amazon HD, then this device is absolutely essential (or any other streamer that works with the service).

The difference in sound quality between bit-perfect out of the WiiM with an optical connection to my Mojo is like night and day to using USB with Amazon's psuedo exclusive mode.

Sep 19, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #99 of 789
I have to say that if you're using Amazon HD, then this device is absolutely essential (or any other streamer that works with the service).

The difference in sound quality between bit-perfect out of the WiiM with an optical connection to my Mojo is like night and day to using USB with Amazon's psuedo exclusive mode.
I second that. My previous setup was iPad>Mojo2>hifi using the AM iOS app and a camera kit connection. Whether it was the app’s mandatory upscaling and/or some degradation via the camera kit connection I do not know, but replacing the iPad with the WiiM and optical connection has, to my ears, made a world of difference to the sound using either the Amazon or the WiiM app. And, of course, it is so much more convenient.

Sep 19, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #100 of 789
I’ve just tried Wiim into Mojo, using Amazon, and it does sound much better than using iPad cck. Using Amazon via Wiim app is preferable to Amazon on Bluos, but I wish there was an Amazon connect, like with Spotify, which would enable one to use the Amazon app.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #102 of 789
I’ve just tried Wiim into Mojo, using Amazon, and it does sound much better than using iPad cck. Using Amazon via Wiim app is preferable to Amazon on Bluos, but I wish there was an Amazon connect, like with Spotify, which would enable one to use the Amazon app.
Forgive me if I have misinterpreted and you know this already, but would the WiiM’s recent firmware update allowing gapless casting from the Amazon Music iOS app not effectively be the connect you are looking for? In my system the SQ from Amazon’s casted app is indistinguishable from WiiM’s own.

Funnily enough, I assumed getting the casting functionality would mean seldom using the WiiM app again. However, since both apps can be open at the same time I find that I explore and start a music list using the Amazon app and then switch to WiiM because it has finer volume adjustments, reacts more quickly to screen presses and displays bitrates, albeit while showing album artwork that is much more pixelated.

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #103 of 789
There is, it’s called AlexaCast and has been available to cast to echos (and now WiiM) for a good few years

Sep 20, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #104 of 789
Thanks for the info, it’s appreciated.

Sep 20, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #105 of 789
After playing around with the Desktop WiiM Home app, I have really high hopes. Streaming playback of my local files works seamlessly and it definitely sounds better than using MusicBee in exclusive mode out of USB-C.

But as of now, it's simply lacking too many features to make it a pleasant experience. Music can't be sorted. There are no playback controls except for play, so if you want to pause the stream, you have to tap the WiiM. You don't know which track is playing once the stream continues after the selected track. And on and on. But it works.

In addition to adding the features mentioned above, it would also be great if they could somehow add streaming control for Amazon. I can use the phone app on my desktop, but it's a little hard to read for my old eyes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back