Wife wants an upgrade...thoughts?
Aug 19, 2010 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mvalpreda

Head-Fier
My wife is over her Shure E3c after 4-5 years. I think she might be over the in-ear thing. She mentioned the Beats by Dre Solo and I just can't let her do that. I would like to find something in that same price range (199 MSRP) with iPhone/iPod controls that are somewhat portable. She listens to more bass heavy music....so maybe something with good lows. Oh....and I don't want her to look like a total dork with some monster cans on her ears. She's not a DJ. LOL

Thanks for any input!

Aug 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 17
There is only 1 IEM that I can think of in that price range that has the iPhone control stuff, the Klipsch Image x10i.
Get rid of that iphone control stuff and a whole new range of IEMs open up.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 17
You can get a FiiO E1 for the remote control ability. It's a line out device + headphone amp + remote control in one little package. Then plug any headphones you want into it.

As for the headphones, maybe ATH-M50 or Shure 750DJ. They can both be folded up for transportation, and are not too bulky when worn.

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
You can get a FiiO E1 for the remote control ability. It's a line out device + headphone amp + remote control in one little package. Then plug any headphones you want into it.

As for the headphones, maybe ATH-M50 or Shure 750DJ. They can both be folded up for transportation, and are not too bulky when worn.

x2 on the E1 w/ controls.  Perhaps the Sennheiser HD25 would be the way to go.  Not too big, good bass and overall SQ.  Price fits.  Although on-ear w/ earrings, not sure.  

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 17
Or ESW9 can be found around $200, though msrp is a lot higher.  Haha, spending a little more for the wifey isn't bad
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 17
The best thing to do is get her the biggest and dorkiest looking cans you can find in order to keep the other men away
biggrin.gif
(something like a vintage Stanton Dynaphase is pretty cool looking too)

On a more serious note, I would highly recommend the Phiaton MS400. It's very sleek with good girl aesthetic appeal, and it has fantastic bass. See my profile for a review.

Oct 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #8 of 17
Sorry to re-hash this.....but I need to get her something soon.

1) Over ear headphones
2) She likes the BASS
3) iPod control would be nice
4) No battery needed
5) 200-250 price range

Thanks!

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 17
Like has been said before.  E1 into a M50 or 750DJ.  I like the Ultrasone 580 as well myself.  Should be able to get either combination for about $150.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Sennheiser has their px200-IIi. It's closed, and though the supra-aural design does limit noise isolation somewhat, it seems to meet your requirements: most notably having an iphone control.

If she's willing to sacrifice the iphone control, likes bass, and wants a very pretty over the ear headphone, the phiaton ms400 seems to be a good choice. Though I haven't heard them myself, ljokerl and swbf2cheater both have experience with them.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 17
I think the iPod controls are really secondary. In watching her use her iPod Touch.....she moves around so much between songs I don't think it would be an issue. She likes those Beats by Dre and those don't have controls on them....

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #12 of 17
Those Phiaton's look pretty nice as do the Ultrasone 580's. I will show her both of those and see which ones she likes better. I found the ms400s on eBay for $150 shipped and the Ultasones for $125 shipped.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Those Phiaton's look pretty nice as do the Ultrasone 580's. I will show her both of those and see which ones she likes better. I found the ms400s on eBay for $150 shipped and the Ultasones for $125 shipped.

Don't know what vendors you are looking at but DO NOT USE DJDEALS!!

Forgot to ask.  Is she overly sensitive to treble?  I read somewhere females tend to be more sensitive to treble than males??  If so the 580 treble might, may, at times, be a bit bright for her.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 17
I don't think so. She does listen to hip hop and R&B mostly....I don't think there is any treble in that music.
wink.gif
I think the MS400s look really cool....the carbon fiber is slick.

I'm eBay savvy.....but thanks for the heads up.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 17
In doing some reading I think I am going to go with some Ultrasone's for her. I'm just not sure if I should get the HFI or PRO series. The PRO series seem to go lower on the frequency response.

The PRO 550s and 650s are in my price range as well as the HFI 580s and 680s. Even found a seller with the 780s for 170.

I'm getting closer. Probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back