Wife wants an IPod...what to buy??
May 3, 2006 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
My wife put it on me to buy her an Ipod. I know nothing about these so I need some advice. She doesn't care about color display, video or any of that. There is the new Nano or a even perhaps a used original Ipod. What is the difference in all the models? Do the newer ones actually sound better or do they all sound the same? What is decent somewhat portable headphone to plug into the Ipod (no amp, doesn't want to carry anything extra)? I was thinking perhaps Grado SR60's.

Much thanks.

May 3, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #3 of 27
How about the Ety ER-6i cans, made for IPods? If I go with a new Nano, what accessories are a "must have." The Nano itself seems reasonably priced, but I'm afraid I'll end up spending twice as much on needed accessories.

I'd like to just go whole hog and get her the Ipod with a nice RSA portable amp but I don't think she'll like what she sees in the checkbook. Isn't Mother's Day just around the corner though?

What is the best source for purchasing an Ipod - Online seller or local retailer?

May 3, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 27
Online would be fine, are you looking at the 1, 2 or 4gb. i believe higher capacity nanos are due pretty soon (8 - 10gb) so that might be something to consider.

must have accessories, well a case for sure, something unobtrusive would be good, the invisible shield, if you're willing to give it a shot, or just a silicon case. if she really wants something special, check the vaja nano cases.

would she mind canal phones? or would something like the ksc75 clip on be easier for her?

cheers

May 3, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 27
A nice combo I use is :
Nano
Core Case
PX 100
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 27
For some (probably stupid) reason, I don't think women like the sr60's (or anything else's) headband, and remember that IEMs are not for everybody (when you think about it, it's kind of weird). So maybe some nice earbuds would do the trick.

And if I'd get a Nano I would like an AC adapter too, to avoid carrying my computer everywhere. But that's just me...

May 3, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 27
A Red Wine iMod 4th Generation 60gb photo iPod --> Wyvern Audio AG-16 IC --> Xin SuperMacro --> Moon Audio modded KSC 75 all in a Headroom gigabag will get you endless hugs and kisses......for eternity....but beware the wallet will swoon!!!

May 3, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 27
From Apple - 4gig Nano, Skins, and a Dock.
From ebay - (orig. Apple -look at their pics to identify fakes) Firewire/USB combo cable (so she can re-charge USB when computer is on, or recharge Firewire w/ walloutlet Firewire charger you plug into wall outlet) - cable(s) plug into the Dock.

Best bang for earphone buck - Etymotic ER-6i - they'll be hardly noticable in her ears (always a plus for the lovely ladies), sound quality that is impossible to beat at this price level and they get even better when she decides on amping
smily_headphones1.gif
. A point of information for you - the ER-6i are not specially made for Apple/Ipod - it is just that Apple carrys them in the store as any brick and morter retailer - you'll pay, what, $150 there...but on eBay you'll find them for $85-89. Also, pick up a set of Shure softflex tips for them (same shound quality as biflanges, but significantly more comfortable (they come in 3 sizes)...........after all of this she'll gladly say yes to you getting k1000, or Alessandro Music Pro's, or K340 - and she'll say it with a smile
smily_headphones1.gif

...it's possible. of course, that she'd prefer something more minimalist...eg an Apple Shuffle in conjunction with much the same stuff I already mentioned (including the ER-6i)....she needs to think of how she wants to carry her portable music - in a bag, clipped to her jeans, a neck lanyard (i.e. shuffle), purse................you need to pin down her desires by asking a few questions.......or I can mention another alternative - the Mpio FL100 - you feed it with your own SD cards an it is powered by one AAA but runs just as strongly as an Apple, plus has FM radio (v. good reception and can make recording from either the FM stations or to make notes etc...............I got one slightly used w/leather clip-on case for less than $50 on eBay and continue to be very happy with it, besides my Nano.

May 3, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 27
I checked out Etymotic ER-6i at headphone.com and they are $109 shipped, so not too bad. My concern with the Moon Audio modded stuff is the relatively stiff and clumsy cable. She's not going to go for that.

May 3, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 27
I think I'll just buy it from a local bricks and morter store. It seems like $199 is what a 2GB Nano will set me back, but I believe that includes dock and case however I need to check. My son has an original Ipod and had some trouble with it so i'm thinking I'd rather buy it locally so I can get service there. Either Best Buy or there is an Apple retail store nearby also. I don't mind paying a few dollars more for peace of mind. The ETY's seem like the way to go as far as cans go, but I'll ask her if she minds, or wants, canal phones.

May 3, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 27
I'd personally get my wife/girlfriend this:

iPod Nano 4gb
Case (Hard transparent case, silicon or Invisible shield)
New Headphones (If she cares about audio quality... Or if you do)

And thats really all the essentials. The case isn't even an essential. But what I don't understand is why get a dock? If you had a case then it out be a hassel pulling it out and putting it back on. And docks are awfully expensive for their purpose, to charge and transfer. Exactly what the generic USB wire does...

And possibly even a car kit. So she could listen to it in her car. Thats all I really need, your wife is very likely different. But give it some time if you need to.

May 5, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #15 of 27
ipod shuffle + any headphone

The amp inside the shuffle can drive my HD600s just fine - completely different from the other ipods. Robust amp with good SQ to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back