Wife wants an IPod...what to buy??
May 5, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #17 of 27
How about the Apple Nano Tubes (set of 5 colored silicon tubes).

I've got a BestSkinsEver (InvisibleShield clone) on my Nano and a cheap silicon skin on it. Skin looks great, but the Apple silicon skin might fit better and look better than the cheap one from eBay.

May 5, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #18 of 27
Nano is definitely the way to go. My wife adores hers.

As for cans, maybe Senn MX-500 buds until the Grado Streetstyles arrive?
evil_smiley.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 27
I love the iPods, but can't stand apple's proprietary format (I prefer my music to be standard old mp3).

I picked up one of these and love it Sandisk Sansa e250, $169 from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&s=electronics or BestBuy on sale (I snagged one there myself).

Getting very good reveiws. Almost identical to the nano but a few bucks cheaper. Comes in 2,4 & 6 gig. Plays videos and FM. Ignore the semi-complaints about the jog wheel, it works well.

May 5, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr. John
I love the iPods, but can't stand apple's proprietary format (I prefer my music to be standard old mp3).

But ipods can play mp3.

May 5, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #23 of 27
iPods play MP3s natively. No conversion necessary.

If you are using iTunes to manage your music, you can bring in pre-ripped MP3s with the "Add folder to library..." or "Add file to library..." menu commands.

iTunes can be set to rip CDs to MP3 rather than Apple's format: Go to Edit->Preferences...->Advanced->Importing.

Personally, I use EAC->LAME APS to rip to MP3, then bring it into iTunes with "Add folder to library..."

May 5, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch
iPods play MP3s natively. No conversion necessary.

If you are using iTunes to manage your music, you can bring in pre-ripped MP3s with the "Add folder to library..." or "Add file to library..." menu commands.

iTunes can be set to rip CDs to MP3 rather than Apple's format: Go to Edit->Preferences...->Advanced->Importing.

Personally, I use EAC->LAME APS to rip to MP3, then bring it into iTunes with "Add folder to library..."

OK, but it was my understanding that they can only be transferred to the ipod via itunes (or some other itunes type software). What I have read is that the ipod can't read a straight mp3 but needs it to be run through itunes i.e. no drag and drop via windows or other such methods (Musicmatch, etc).

May 5, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #25 of 27
You're right that iPods do not have native drag-and-drop support. Third party apps do provide it, for example MediaFour's XPlay.

The iPod holds not only the song files themselves, but a database of their titles, albums and artists which is used to drive the user interface. You need software (iTunes or a third-party app) because this database needs to be updated when songs are added to or removed from the device.

Once the MP3 is on the iPod and registered in the iPod's database, the iPod will play it perfectly happily.

Adding an MP3 to iTunes' library - by no means the only way to get it onto an iPod, but IMO the path of least resistance - doesn't convert the MP3 to some other format, though. It just makes iTunes aware of it.

May 6, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #27 of 27
OK I started this thread an appreciate all the replies. Thanks for the helpful info - I know what I'm going to buy now. I'm signing off now but please feel free to continue posting among yourselves.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back