Wife eating headpones :(
Mar 7, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #16 of 48
How could she tug on the headphone so hard??
I think you should put a shorter leash on her
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 48
Get a custom cable made from here, that should protect the cable from the wife's teeth
icon10.gif

I guess there are many ways to solve your problem. Detachable cable and buy replacements every month or so, or you can get to the root cause and protect the cable from the damage in the first place.

Do you know where the cable breaks; at the jack, the driver housing area, after the Y split, before the Y split, or all of the above? And do you know how it happens, does she slam them in doors, yank them relentlessly, put them in her mouth, etc? If she isn't ruining her source (DAP), I would guess it isn't at the jack, so an over braid of some sort should work. Here is an extreme example, and here is a link with a lot of choices.

You can take the easy road and just replace the cable monthly, but IMO it would be fun seeing what it takes to stop the wife from "eating" the cables. And maybe you can come up with an interesting looking solution that the wife might even find fashionable!

It is possible to get a nearly indestructible cable. But I did say nearly, so were there is a will...

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could she tug on the headphone so hard??
I think you should put a shorter leash on her
very_evil_smiley.gif

I had one of those leashes that will get longer and recoil, but she broke it.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a custom cable made from here, that should protect the cable from the wife's teeth
icon10.gif

I guess there are many ways to solve your problem. Detachable cable and buy replacements every month or so, or you can get to the root cause and protect the cable from the damage in the first place.

Do you know where the cable breaks; at the jack, the driver housing area, after the Y split, before the Y split, or all of the above? And do you know how it happens, does she slam them in doors, yank them relentlessly, put them in her mouth, etc? If she isn't ruining her source (DAP), I would guess it isn't at the jack, so an over braid of some sort should work. Here is an extreme example, and here is a link with a lot of choices.

You can take the easy road and just replace the cable monthly, but IMO it would be fun seeing what it takes to stop the wife from "eating" the cables. And maybe you can come up with an interesting looking solution that the wife might even find fashionable!

It is possible to get a nearly indestructible cable. But I did say nearly, so were there is a will...

Thanks for the links and info. I have tried using shrink tube around the jack, but that didn't do much. She usually boogers up the jack (not with her nose). One time she cut the cord with a hedge trimmer.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the links and info. I have tried using shrink tube around the jack, but that didn't do much. She usually boogers up the jack (not with her nose). One time she cut the cord with a hedge trimmer.

Go with steel braid from jack to each ear piece with proper strain relief, good luck cutting through that! Although I would have soldered the cable back together if my wife cut through hers!

Or have her wear them in her shirt so they are not exposed to the dangers all around!

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bluetooth?

Sorry about that last post. I couldn't help it. Seriously though, I think that's something to consider. Thanks.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Go with steel braid from jack to each ear piece with proper strain relief, good luck cutting through that! Although I would have soldered the cable back together if my wife cut through hers!

Or have her wear them in her shirt so they are not exposed to the dangers all around!

I would have soldered the cord but my soldering iron burned out due to overuse in repairing her headphones.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #27 of 48
Ultrasones have a detachable cable. Might be a somewhat proprietary screw-on 1/8" stereo plug, but there are at least replacements available.

I think some audio technicas have detachable cables, like the DJ models and noise canceling models.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

The "biggest danger" to the headphones is my wife.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell her to be more careful with them. Even the thinnest cable will last if it's taken care of.

You must be single. Although, being that you are the Punnisher, I may need to get some pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back