Wich headphones have more then 2 drivers?
Oct 11, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Not only does the AKG K340 have two different drivers, but one is a dynamic driver and the other is electret (electrostatic). The K340 drivers are stacked rather than placed side-by-side like the K270 shown above. They're long out of production but there are still many floating around that look and sound great. The midrange on these cans is fantastically liquid, and the soundstage is large and enveloping. With the right music it can seem like you're being swallowed up by the sound (in a good way).

Stop it! You're making me want a pair.

Oct 11, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I've been meaning to get ahold of a K270 and give it a listen. I've heard mixed reviews, but I'm a big "AKG house sound" guy, so I'm thinking I'd be favorably disposed.

Gave it a listen, years ago, and was rather disappointed - if you ask me, you needn't bother with the K270.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Now with a better source, and when hooked up to one of my Gilmores, they really shine with certain kinds of music. Not nearly as quick on their feet or balanced as the hd650, but they can create atmosphere and render vocals and violins like nothing else I've tried yet.

The combo gilmore-K340 is pretty good indeed. It tames a bit the lazy side of the K340. For strings, gilmore is the perfect amp; for vocals, I tend to prefer some tubes.

I've not heard better cans to date for baroque music.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've noticed you changed the wire, did you also exchange the plastic grid for some fabric ?

Oct 11, 2004 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Gave it a listen, years ago, and was rather disappointed - if you ask me, you needn't bother with the K270.

I recall that our own JoeLongwood had some very good things to say about it, but not at first. Seems like opinions are varied.

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Don't forget the UE-10 Pro IEM's which have 3 drivers. I don't know what real difference they make. Lindrone has compared them to the Sensa 2X-S and found the bass response in the 2-driver Sensa's to be deeper, more impactful, and more realistic/musical.

Here's what Lindrone had to say about the two approaches:

bass: dual or triple driver?
I think this topic deserves its own dedicated section, since much of the debate has been about whether or not triple driver really makes a difference, and can a another driver really get that much more bass? The answer to the first question is, yes, it does make a difference. However, the answer to the second question is.. no, not very much.

I searched through a lot of my very bass heavy recordings looking for that extra tidbit of bass. On some recordings, once in a while, in one or two particular beat, there is an extra level of deeper bass. For the few notes which it did appear, yes, there is credence to the triple driver design offering extra amount of audible bass at a very low level. However, you do have to look pretty hard for it, and very few recordings other than hip-hop/rap genre will have bass that reaches that deep level.

With that said, there's actually *more* bass on the 2X-S than the UE-10. Part of it is the decay factor I talked about earlier. 2X-S's bass is deep, rich and full, and it is allows to vibrate for a duration of time, reminding me more of what I would hear from a speaker system normally. It's like having a good subwoofer, there's very good visceral vibration with every deep thump. As I also mentioned in the 2X-S review before, this bass is not as exaggerated as the Shure E5c. It has much more texture and detail than that. The mid-bass also doesn't get as much vibration, the deep vibration is reserved for low-bass only, as it should.

UE-10's bass it not bad at all either, it's just more clean and more to the point. As I said before, there's a recurring theme here, right? The bass does have that one or two extra deep note that 2X-S can't produce at a certain point. I also suspect the bass more resembles what a musician hears when a bass note gets played, rather than what's coming out of a speaker system or a subwoofer. There's much less visceral vibration, but a deep penetrating "punch" is still there. UE-10's bass is punchy and powerful.

Now, remember back to what I said about UE-10's vocals being overpowering sometimes. That's one flaw I see in the presentation of the UE-10. In the same way, here's a flaw about the presentation of the 2X-S, when the bass gets really heavy and repeats quickly, there's a tendency for the visceral vibration of the bass to overtake some of the higher-end instruments.

Oct 11, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #21 of 31
f_panasonic_rphda100.jpg

Panasonic RP-HDA100 / Technics RP-FDA100. 57mm full-range driver and 20mm super-tweeter. Claimed frequency response of 3Hz (!!) to 100,000Hz (!!). "Optimized for DVD audio"
rolleyes.gif

[size=xx-small](the original link was on a site with the other name for Panasonic: Ma-tsu-shi-ta, and this beautiful forum stripped SHI-Ta because it was considered offensive.. C'mon!)[/size]

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940
The combo gilmore-K340 is pretty good indeed. It tames a bit the lazy side of the K340. For strings, gilmore is the perfect amp; for vocals, I tend to prefer some tubes.

I've not heard better cans to date for baroque music.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've noticed you changed the wire, did you also exchange the plastic grid for some fabric ?

I've been thinking about picking up a tube amp like the RKV. Still, for now vocals are great with the Gilmore.

I don't have a soldering iron (nor do I trust myself with one
wink.gif
), so I had Xanadu777 install his blacksilver cable for me. It's now dual-entry, which gets rid of that nasty cable run though the headband. Now replacing the plastic grid, that's a mod I could handle myself. A while ago I tried replacing it with the hd580 foam, but as I recall that didn't work too great. I've been meaning to experiment with more acoustically transparent materals, eventually. Any advice on good materials and how they affect the sound? I hear black pantyhose are a popular replacment for the hd580 foam, but unfortunately I don't currently have a girlfriend to buy them for me
icon10.gif

BTW, your impressions of the k340 here on head-fi are what initially got me interested in them.

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #23 of 31
I had those Panasonic RP-HDA100 for 1 mo. Tweeter sits on top of the big driver, kinda like 2way car speaker. For its design, I expected clear highs and impact bass, but lack of bass.
After I disected the headphone, I discovered the big driver was little too far from the ear. IMO, these canNOT compete with other $300+ fons out there. There was no depth and funny soundstage since its openess is radical as you see on the above foto.
Also these fons are designed for EXTRA large heads. I could not lean forward nor backward as these headphones slip. Just not enough tension in dual wire headband and silky velour ear pads contributed further. RPHDA100 are much bigger than foto too.

Oct 11, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

I hear black pantyhose are a popular replacment for the hd580 foam, but unfortunately I don't currently have a girlfriend to buy them for me
icon10.gif

It's actually what I'm using
wink.gif
Works nice.

If you remove the grid, put something preventing the fabric (or your ears) to touch the driver. I'm using a kind of grid in metal wire (for fence and so on).

I've seen that redvision used velours beyer pads on its K240S. They look to be roughly of the same size than the K340. Could be my next buy. Comfort is not very high now.

Oct 11, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesBen
f_panasonic_rphda100.jpg

Panasonic RP-HDA100 / Technics RP-FDA100. 57mm full-range driver and 20mm super-tweeter. Claimed frequency response of 3Hz (!!) to 100,000Hz (!!). "Optimized for DVD audio"
rolleyes.gif

[size=xx-small](the original link was on a site with the other name for Panasonic: Ma-tsu-shi-ta, and this beautiful forum stripped SHI-Ta because it was considered offensive.. C'mon!)[/size]

More drivers and a higher price doesn't mean more sound quality: http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1440
Mind you they are made by panasonic!
rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
You know, the Bose TriPorts have three drivers in each ear
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

(Hence the name "TriPorts")

Actually...

"TriPort Technology
Proprietary Bose technology utilizes three small ports in the earcups to produce rich audio performance"

I think it's still just a single driver.

Oct 11, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 31
That's pretty much it... it wasn't taken from Bose's own site... obviously. It's from a reseller's website description. Well, more than a couple of them describe them that way, I would assume that to be true, and from what I've seen of the construction, doesn't look like there's more than one driver either. Bose never addressed what "triport" really is, because they know how dumb it sounds when the truth is revealed... "yes, we drilled three holes in the right spot to let some air in and out." Basically taking on some open-air headphone advantages... After all, it's much easier to get cheap, good sounding open-air design than closed design... and most obviously TriPort is an extremely cheap design.

It's pretty akin to those headphones that you would mention as "semi-closed"... such as the Yamaha RH5ma.

Oct 11, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #30 of 31
So should conclusion should be:
Bose headphones can sound nice at times, but are horrendously overpriced for what you get. You are much better off spending your money elsewhere to obtain a better value that is still able to outperform Bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back