Why?
Sep 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

thewiggler

New Head-Fier
Sorry if any of you find my ignorance on this subject offensive but I have a nice enough sounding CD player (Marantz CD 67) which has a headphone 'out'. Why would I bother with a headphone amp?
and whats the difference between a portable headphone amp and a full sized one? Apart from its weight and dimensions? I have visions of carrying this portable amp as an intermediary between my phones and my ipod. Is that funny or am I missing something huge? Perhaps for stage work? I need educating please because I am starting to feel an itch to spend money.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 9
I got some Sennheisser HD455 expression line. V. comfortable open phones, but about 15 years old or something. They sound real nice.
I also have some new UE TF10s which I am delighted with (- the comply foam tips are a must for the 'fit' but totally fix any issues as far as I am concerned)

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Marantz puts dedicated headphone amps into some models, so I think you already have a headphone amp.

You might want to read Boomana's Wiki for new users since it discusses portable amps. The major difference is that portables run off batteries while "desktop" amps run off the mains. The amount of power the mains can deliver give you many more options and a lot more power.

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 9
well.. first of all,there are some headphone that absolutely have to be driven by a dedicated amp because they need a lot of power,much more than most cd players or integrated stereo systems,or portable players (etc) can supply.        although some cd players and integrated recievers have some nice quality HP amp inside...so it depends on your system really.

second,usually a dedicated headphone amps have better sound because they are designed specifically to drive headphones, and high level (high end) amps oftem use the best electronic parts in the industry and seuperior designs...therefore - the best sound achievable.
dedicated HP amps also normally use a power supply of their own,also improving the sound.
so even if you have a rather effiecient headphone (one that doesn't require an amp) you amy still want to use one in order to improve the sound.

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 9
Because you want higher sound quality?
Other differences between portable and full size (desktop) amplifiers -> price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back