why these days music from the 80s is intolerable to listen to
Aug 20, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #242 of 253
Depends, he still waffling with the other pair? :p

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #243 of 253
Depends, he still waffling with the other pair? :p
I was thinking before, should I ask if you are waiting for the punchline of some joke or something...
Unfortunately I am not a native English speaker and that is probably why I don't know what this is about.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #244 of 253
Linn Sondek LP12, a legendary turntable from early 70's.
That's my turntable, though much improved from the original. Not sure if the design dates back to the early 70s (mine is 1979) but stand to be corrected.

Aug 22, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #245 of 253
That's my turntable, though much improved from the original. Not sure if the design dates back to the early 70s (mine is 1979) but stand to be corrected.
To my knowledge the turntable was introduced in 1972. This wasn't about improvements done later on, but about what a "Linn" is.

Oct 27, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #246 of 253
Very good turntable. An absolut classic.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #247 of 253
Very good turntable. An absolut classic.
Agreed. Did the tuning of a high end phono stage with a Valhalla version. Very enjoyable listen.

However I preferred Roksan from that era. I heard an Xerxes X / Artemis arm and was blown away by how it portrayed music, given the limitations of the format.

*Awaits the flame war from the sound science zealots who deny vinyl can possibly sound enjoyable.*

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #248 of 253
*Awaits the flame war from the sound science zealots who deny vinyl can possibly sound enjoyable.*
Not sure they exist. From what I know, several here own some and enjoy them or their ripped versions, it’s only when there are false claims about higher fidelity than digital that we pick up a trident and sing war cries.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #249 of 253
Vinyl can sound enjoyable. So can 78s. I have over 15,000 records myself and I get pleasure from playing them. But I don't claim that the LP format is higher fidelity than CDs or high data rate lossy, because it isn't. LPs are a very good medium for recorded music. CDs are a perfect medium.

If you want to get mad at me for something, you can get mad at what I think of high end turntables. I think that a lot of that is trying to squeeze blood from a stone. You need to be able to track the grooves properly and have low levels of electronic noise and a decent response. Back in the 70s, when LPs were in their heyday, there were dozens and dozens of turntables that fit the bill, and they didn't cost as much as a sports car. No need to go crazy like that. It goes far beyond overkill and is nothing more than fetish.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #250 of 253
Enjoyable and accurate are different things such as tasty and healthy food are. Vinyl isn't very accurate while lossless digital audio is. It is because vinyl introduces significant distortions to the signal while lossless digital audio can be extremely distortion-free. These distortions can of course be enjoyable, euphonic. Digital audio can also be distorted and euphonic if analog distortion processes are simulated. Digitising a vinyl record is an easy way to have distorted euphonic sound in digital form. Thanks to its accuracy it sounds identical to the vinyl.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #251 of 253
Enjoyable is subjective and varies from person to person. Accurate is objective and is universal.

Oct 28, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #252 of 253
Enjoyable is subjective and varies from person to person. Accurate is objective and is universal.
Just as tasty food is subjective while healthy food is objective.

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #253 of 253
Just as tasty food is subjective while healthy food is objective.
And IMHO, there is a fair bit of volition in subjective taste. If one chooses...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back