why people perfer y-cord more than j-cord?
Aug 11, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 18
sandro, we have the exact same preference in fact.
however, a lot of people here seems to prefer y-cord more.
just wondering, apart from the wearing style, would the y or j cord affect the sound?

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 18
is my question too silly? why so little comment and conversation?
confused.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 18
for the record, i also prefer j cords. i guess genreally speaking, people are so used to y cords that companies see no reason to change anything.

Aug 13, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 18
I have always only had j cords, and thinking about it I would prefer it this way. Also the headphones I had were single wired. Less hassle with cables is better for me. My desk is already too cluttered.

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #8 of 18
Strange enough, back to the old day, all most all earphones come with j-cord.
Once high-end iem was introduced, the y-cord became the standard now, even low-end products.
It is very hard to find a j-cord iem now.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 18
I had a pair Sennheiser CX300 earbuds that had a j-cord. While walking, the weight of the entire cord was on the earbud in my right ear, and it would frequently fall out. Now I have a Y cord, and the weight is evenly distributed to both ears, and they stay in place.

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
I had a pair Sennheiser CX300 earbuds that had a j-cord. While walking, the weight of the entire cord was on the earbud in my right ear, and it would frequently fall out. Now I have a Y cord, and the weight is evenly distributed to both ears, and they stay in place.

because you're supposed to put it on the back of you head! leaving it hang like that will cause that annoyin problem

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 18
I tried both ways, in front with the wire under my chin, and in back with the wire resting on my neck. Same result, weight of the cord would pull on the right first. Not only is it annoying to have it fall out, but I also didn't like the feeling of more weight in one ear vs the other.

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #12 of 18
For IEMs, Y-Cord.

For full-size, I prefer a J if the cord isn't to heavy.  I couldn't imagine my Grado 225i with a J using the freak'n pythons they have on this thing.  But my "Skype" headphones at home are J cord and wonderful because of that.  I doubt the cable could handle the signal quality I'd want for music though...

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

had the same problem and after the cx300 never bought a y-jorded iem 

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
because you're supposed to put it on the back of you head! leaving it hang like that will cause that annoyin problem

seconded... how to wear them properly is explained in the the manual (not that anyone reads them though)

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 18
I had a lot of Sony IEMs in the past with the j-style cord. It was pretty convenient and comfortable if I didn't have to move around a lot. Otherwise, there were a lot of problems with unbalanced weight. Sometimes, you'll have too much weight on one side and it'll end up tugging on one ear. 

y-style cords are just generally better for IEMS imo. For earbuds though, I prefer j-style cords. Can't comment on j-style full-size headphones though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back