Why no safety certification on amps?
Oct 29, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 26
We have electrical safety testing at work, I have to remember to empty my office before they turn up!
However, what the most common test actually does is check that the grounds/earths are all correctly routed - i.e. so if there was some failure of the components, then the unit would earth and trip the fuse/circuit breaker and make itself safe. The test in no way implies that the unit operation is safe, just that it will fail safely. In general the testers look for the safety certification on the PSU and as long as that has a cert. then they are happy to test and let you use the gear.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #17 of 26
Somebody correct me if I wrong (I no expert in the area) but isn electrical equipment with input / output of less than 50V effectively unregulated in the EU? So all of the amps taking less than 50V DC at input (and driving regulat dynmic phones) would fall below what the Low Voltage Directive specifies and hence be exempt?

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #18 of 26
Do you actually have to test the equipment? I asked one mfr. who said this was a huge paper exercise and that was it. I have no idea.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanderx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody correct me if I wrong (I no expert in the area) but isn electrical equipment with input / output of less than 50V effectively unregulated in the EU? So all of the amps taking less than 50V DC at input (and driving regulat dynmic phones) would fall below what the Low Voltage Directive specifies and hence be exempt?

I've just spoken with our safety officer (handy!) and he said the rules are:

'Low Voltage DC Appliances are exempt - where low Voltage is below 50VDC.
The power supply/wallwart MUST be certified and tested.'

So, any headamp that has an external PSU, the PSU needs to have a certificate (or use a certified PSU) - any headamp with an internal PSU needs to be certified as a unit.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #20 of 26
Big Tony is this BEAB approval or CE approval?

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #21 of 26
He only mentioned CE approval - I think the BEAB is a different can of worms.

Oct 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #22 of 26
BigTony, thats right.
EU made headphone amps have CE approval.

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have electrical safety testing at work, I have to remember to empty my office before they turn up!

LOL, some people where I work actually do this. We are generally provided 24hrs notice of inspections, but if caught its a fairly serious deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, what the most common test actually does is check that the grounds/earths are all correctly routed

We can have tests done as well for equipment, but at an additional dept cost, and the unit has to be properly grounded as you say. Unfortunately many high end pieces I have come across will fail this test. Just the other day I was looking inside a new $2000+ DAC from a major manufacturer that had an IEC on the back, only the hot and neutral pins were connect, the ground was not connected, and there was no case grounding. I just cant comprehend why modern designs would be like this.

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by ert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can have tests done as well for equipment, but at an additional dept cost, and the unit has to be properly grounded as you say. Unfortunately many high end pieces I have come across will fail this test. Just the other day I was looking inside a new $2000+ DAC from a major manufacturer that had an IEC on the back, only the hot and neutral pins were connect, the ground was not connected, and there was no case grounding. I just cant comprehend why modern designs would be like this.

Was it a metal IEC inlet that grounded itself to case? I like to use the Qualtek filtered IECs - the body is grounded and simply screwing this unit into a metal rear panel will provide earth ground.

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was it a metal IEC inlet that grounded itself to case?

Nope, just a plain old plastic socket. I've seen this design used a few times very recently in high end gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back