Why no portable/transportable tube amps??
Nov 23, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #31 of 71
Well first of all, because of microphonics. Some tubes have it more or less than others, but you can bet that any tubes would become microphonic if they were subjected to use in a pocket.

Also, they become VERY fragile when they are hot (not the glass, but the filaments inside the tube).

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #32 of 71
It should be noted that the tubes being talked about are not "normal" tubes and not all things that apply to normal tubes are sure to apply to them.

-greg

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #33 of 71
I'de think transportable is the keyword here, i.e. inside a headroom type bag when just walking around. unless of course, you dig running with an audio bag on your side, commando style, lol.

I don't have much listening experiance with tube amps, but I wouldn't mind buying a battery powered one if it ever came out.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:39 AM Post #34 of 71
The filaments take 300mA? dear lord.. a AAA would drain in 3 hours, a AA in 8 hours.

Mm still looks interesting so I'll see if I can make a schem for these at some point tomorrow.

edit - as usual I'm an insane human being, so I think I'll go for something like a mosfet output stage.. if you're wasting 300 mA on a filament, why not go all the way eh?

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The filaments take 300mA? dear lord.. a AAA would drain in 3 hours, a AA in 8 hours.

Mm still looks interesting so I'll see if I can make a schem for these at some point tomorrow.

edit - as usual I'm an insane human being, so I think I'll go for something like a mosfet output stage.. if you're wasting 300 mA on a filament, why not go all the way eh?

Why not just 4 or 5 AA's in parallel for the filament? Why MOSFET output? Why not just go pure tube?

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #36 of 71
Tubes for gain, mosfet for output stage.. I'm not insane enough to do multiple tubes for the output stage.. that would result in a ridiculous current draw.

okay.. 4 - 5 AA in parallel is fine, but you need more than 6.3 volts, so thats about 5 AA each (if you use nimhs, its more) in other words you'll be carrying 20-25 AAs.... yeah. no.

Attempting to get a reasonable runtime out of tube portables is not really viable unless you use Lipos.. even then its kinda sketch.

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #37 of 71
Enough talk more action! I want a small tube amp! I'm a chem eng so I can't do the EE thing but I'm willing to lend me ears! Let them be the guinea pigs!

Nov 23, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tubes for gain, mosfet for output stage.. I'm not insane enough to do multiple tubes for the output stage.. that would result in a ridiculous current draw.

okay.. 4 - 5 AA in parallel is fine, but you need more than 6.3 volts, so thats about 5 AA each (if you use nimhs, its more) in other words you'll be carrying 20-25 AAs.... yeah. no.

Attempting to get a reasonable runtime out of tube portables is not really viable unless you use Lipos.. even then its kinda sketch.

What about one of those small rectangular 7.2V NiCD packs used in entry level R/C cars? Those are atleast 1200Mah or more...

By the way whoever makes one I'd love to be a beta tester for it!

Nov 23, 2006 at 7:54 AM Post #39 of 71
Doesn't someone make a hybrid amp with those millitary pencil-tubes... ? Soldered directly to the PCB?

I have an image in my head, but can't recall a make/model? Its more trans-portable though than portable.

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #40 of 71
There is always Fa-Schmidt's YAHA amp on Headwize:
image001.jpg

Link here: YAHA Amp
and also on several other threads on Headwize.

Sijosae has made several mini-tube amps in a mint tin:
Door.jpg

Also:
Altoids Tin Hybrid Amp (6922 + IRF610)
12V Hybrid (6922 + BUF634)
9V Hybrid (6922 + TDA1308)
12V Hybrid (6922 + NJM4556)
iHybrid Nano (6111 + NJM4556)
iHybrid Nano II (6111 + Diamond Buffer)

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #41 of 71
Being in a car can be defined as portable (on the go), no
biggrin.gif
?

f_panasonic_cqtx5500d.jpg

Nov 23, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
?

OMG!!!

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #45 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
?

How would one know if it would fit in their car? I drive a Hyundai Sonata 2002 model. Could it work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back